Who should our next HC be?

7 hours ago, Bad2theBONES said:

You said he tried to commit suicide in the past and then you follow that concerning comment up with saying he has his head on straight. You then tell us he invited women to speak to his college football team about being weary of women trying to steal their fortunes? Not sure why you tried to use that info to back up your belief that he can develop character in young men. Most of them aren’t going to the league and won’t be making the big bucks. How about having a woman come and talk to young men in his team about respecting women and their bodies or talk to them about domestic violence or something that is an actual problem amongst college men in college campuses. I want to be clear in saying I am not denying Deion does have the ability to develop some character in young men and I don’t doubt he probably has his head on straight now. But I must say you pretty much contradicted yourself in every point you tried to make. That was rough to read. 

I didn't want to go into a long dissertation regarding the transformation of Deion from college athlete to college coach.  Suffice to say that he had life altering events that changed who he was into who he is.  Follow his stuff on social media.  He is doing a great job helping young men to avoid all of the pitfalls that he did growing up.  The women (actually IG star Brittany Renner) was an example of him talking directly to the pitfalls out there for young men in their position with the potential to have success in the NFL or the business world.  Do some googling about how he is running the program.  How he is developing character off the field.  Here is a quote form just one of many interviews:

They are leaving home for the first time and a big guy hasn’t gotten that attention that he is receiving now because he has people at him left and right. I’ve got to teach him not only the game of football, I have to teach him the game of life. So I’ve got to bring in experts, that’s what we are doing, bringing in experts to teach them the game of life, because that’s the game they play everyday, not football. This game will be over in December, that other game, they play that everyday.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Admittedly, I don’t know much about most of his staff. But I have read that he has assembled an amazing staff at JSU considering the school. Quick glance through the staff directory and it does not appear to be JSU/HBCU buddies at all.

Anyhoo…there’s not an assistant coach in the country who doesn’t answer the phone when Deion Sanders calls.

He has hired Mike Zimmer from the NFL as an analyst.  He also got Jackson State in the top 100 recruiting classes which was a first for a HBCU.  

Not saying he should be or will be the next HC at NU or that he is qualified, but he is shaking up the landscape with what he is doing there for sure.  

• Fire 1
11 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Really or are colleges afraid of his persona and don't want to take a chance on him?  He has more experience then SF got hired. SF was only a coach at UCF for 2 years. Deion has been coaching for 3 years there so don't give me that. 

And how did that turn out for Frost?  

11 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Really or are colleges afraid of his persona and don't want to take a chance on him?  He has more experience then SF got hired. SF was only a coach at UCF for 2 years. Deion has been coaching for 3 years there so don't give me that. 

And how did that turn out for Frost?  

Deion would definitely put us on a different trajectory which we need.  No more of the Devaney/Osborne Tree. No more talking about the 1970s-90s.  It would be a clean break from those expectations and a totally new picture of Nebraska football. Whether he is ready for 'Prime Time" B1G football as a coach remains to be seen.  But some P5  team will take on that risk. Based on where Nebraska sits right now, there is very little down side and a lot of potential upside. As I've said all along, we need to go big or go home. Choose to compete with the big boys or aim to be middle of the road. If we can't get Urb, there aren't any other big names out there that can instantly shake up our program in a good way.    I don't know a lot about his offense/defense schemes but if he get the high ranking  'Joes' the 'Xs and Os" will take of themselves. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

I don't know a lot about his offense/defense schemes but if he get the high ranking  'Joes' the 'Xs and Os" will take of themselves. 

I'm beginning to believe this isn't always true.  The coaches have to put the players in position to succeed.  How they run practices, what schemes they are running...etc. means a hell of a lot.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm beginning to believe this isn't always true.  The coaches have to put the players in position to succeed.  How they run practices, what schemes they are running...etc. means a hell of a lot.

Great article on what Sanders is willing to do to win.  Change OC during he season.  And this was when they were 3-1.  And the OC was a former teammate with him at Atlanta....and who he'd known for 30 years....

A good quote and what is desperately needed at NU.

“He’s very demanding. He doesn’t accept mediocrity at all. That’s 24 hours a day, seven days a week and that’s the culture that’s been established around here. You know you can’t [cut] corners with him.

https://andscape.com/features/jackson-states-offense-now-playing-at-a-high-level-under-new-coordinator-t-c-taylor/

I still think Deion would be a huge risk to take as a HC but after reading some of his recruiting philosophies and what he says it takes to win in P5 football,  I might be okay with giving him a shot. 

He said skill players will always do their thing but when it comes to winning games,  it starts in the trenches and at QB.  He brought in 7 linemen from the transfer portal and has gotten a commitment from a 4* DL already this year.  

44 minutes ago, lo country said:

Great article on what Sanders is willing to do to win.  Change OC during he season.  And this was when they were 3-1.  And the OC was a former teammate with him at Atlanta....and who he'd known for 30 years....

A good quote and what is desperately needed at NU.

“He’s very demanding. He doesn’t accept mediocrity at all. That’s 24 hours a day, seven days a week and that’s the culture that’s been established around here. You know you can’t [cut] corners with him.

https://andscape.com/features/jackson-states-offense-now-playing-at-a-high-level-under-new-coordinator-t-c-taylor/

OMG....HE HIRES HIS FRIENDS!!!!

:sarcasm

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Some people have mentioned Curt Cignetti on this board. 

He was mentioned in response to DS.

13 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

So, just to be clear, you consider….

1) Out-recruiting literally everyone in the country (considering where he’s at)

He's literally not out-recruiting everyone in the country, but I agree he is doing a fantastic job considering where he's at. 

2) Proven track record of winning at a place that hasn’t won in forever

He hasn't even finished his 3rd season as a college coach. That's the opposite of "proven track record".

3) Has more football knowledge in his little finger than most people have ever know

This is just random hyperbole.

4) Preaches accountability, faith, morals, hard work, fundamentals, teaching young men, etc. above all else

Ok. Preaching faith at a public school is a mark against him for me, but I respect what he's done developing young men as a high school coach.

5) Knows how to work the hell out of the transfer portal

6) Knows how to work the hell out of the NIL (again, especially considering where he’s at)

He's done very well for where he's at. The assumption seems to be that he'd be able to do that even better at Nebraska, but that's a big assumption.

7) Hires an amazing staff above his class much like his recruiting/NIL/transfer portal/etc.

Does he? I've seen he has a former NFL analyst on staff, but that's about it. I'd say that's a huge question mark.

8) Has a national reach that would instantly put Nebraska at the top of every news cycle, something we haven’t seen since the 90’s

9) Can literally get in every living room, board room, and any room in between that’s needed to make Nebraska better

These are more really big assumptions.

10) Instantly washes Nebraska of the negative stigma that’s part of what has us where we’re at

No he doesn't. This is wishcasting.

…to be more flash than substance?

Yes.

11 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

You’re joking on the bold part right? Sorry, I love me some MJ, but he can’t hold Deions jockstrap when it comes to being qualified to be the next head coach at NU.

This is utter nonsense. Sanders has never even coached at a FBS school with just 2 years as a college coach. While MJ has 17 years as a college coach including 6 years in FBS and 2 years as HC of a HBCU.

Look, Sanders has an impressive 2 years at Jacksonville St, but that's not much to go on for qualifications as the Nebraska HC.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 4
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes very true - I said that based on having a competent coach - not SF.  

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Deion would definitely put us on a different trajectory which we need.  No more of the Devaney/Osborne Tree. No more talking about the 1970s-90s.  It would be a clean break from those expectations and a totally new picture of Nebraska football. Whether he is ready for 'Prime Time" B1G football as a coach remains to be seen.  But some P5  team will take on that risk. Based on where Nebraska sits right now, there is very little down side and a lot of potential upside. As I've said all along, we need to go big or go home. Choose to compete with the big boys or aim to be middle of the road. If we can't get Urb, there aren't any other big names out there that can instantly shake up our program in a good way.    I don't know a lot about his offense/defense schemes but if he get the high ranking  'Joes' the 'Xs and Os" will take of themselves. 

I hope Trev is thinking outside the box in regards to this hire. Playing it safe and making the conservative hire won't bode well.

Regarding Deion's abilities as a recruiter...

I think the issue of Deion's recruiting at JSU is a bit more nuanced than what people think. HBCU interest and enrollment in general has increased since 2020, largely due to the increased discussion and aftermath following high profile events in the country around that time. It sends a significant message for a big-time recruit to choose an HBCU. 

Nebraska is about as far from that school/community culture as possible. Equating Deion's recruiting success in the south with young men interested in their cultural heritage with his supposed recruiting success here is an assumption with pretty flawed logic, I think. 

That doesn't mean he couldn't succeed recruiting here. It means he has not proven any ability to recruit outside that lens of HBCUs and the resurgence of interest and enrollment at HBCU schools. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

Calling Deion all flash and no substance basically means you don't like touchdown or interception celebrations and you'll judge a player simply based off whether he celebrates or not. People who think Deion is too flashy probably think Barry Sanders "did it the right way." Deion is literally one of the best corners to ever play the game, and that was while he was also an all-star caliber MLB outfielder. He has more "substance" of success than almost anyone to ever play sports. 

• Oh Yeah! 1