Who should our next HC be?

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

8) Has a national reach that would instantly put Nebraska at the top of every news cycle, something we haven’t seen since the 90’s

These are more really big assumptions.

Your post overall was great Red, but I did want to key in on this piece specifically.

The national reach isn't only an assumption - it's pure hyperbole. Nebraska was one of the most talked about programs nationally when they hired Frost. They were one of the most talked about programs in 2010 early season when Martinez was on Heisman watch lists. Even if NU were to hire Meyer, it's not like that would thrust the program into some light it hasn't seen in two decades.

And this is the problem with how some of our fans view the program and the direction it needs to go. So many of us are hyper-focused on stuff happening off the field that they forget that what ultimately matters is the results on Saturdays. I don't know how many times we need that reality slapped in our rosey red faces before it sinks in. There are 1,000 things that go into creating a winning football program and being at the top of news cycles isn't one of them. Look how much we're talking about recruiting and being the Bell of the Off-season Ball while programs like Iowa, Wisconsin, and Mich. St. continue to win football games and poop in our cereal every season.

I think I speak for a majority of the fan base when I say I'm sick and tired of winning the off season. I want the best guy for the job. If that's Deion, great. If it's Meyer, great. If it's Campbell or Aranda, great. But we need to stop getting caught up in all these superlatives and feel good aesthetic victories.

Find a damn good coach.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Bo got the angry cam because he was visibly irate way more often than he needed to be and that was absolutely a well-earned reputation. Don't think that'll be an issue with Campbell.

Yeah, when you predictably go berserk several times a game it is 100% guaranteed their will be a camera tracking your every movement so they don't miss any of the raging.

• Plus1 1
Just now, walksalone said:

I'm surprised...

188 pages in, and no clear choice..

We should probably run a contest on how many pages this thread will have before a coach is named. My guess is there won't be one named until some time around the conference championship games so we've got two more months of this lol.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

21 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

I don’t view Deion’s personality as a fit for Lincoln at all. Especially when we just fired a coach largely because due to disinterest.

Deion doesnt strike me as the time to be disinterested. I think the reason he would struggle in Lincoln would be is larger than life personality might not mesh well 

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

The following isn't an argument for or against Aranda, but IMO, these are some objective reasons to like him:

• Been an FBS coach since 2008 and a P5 coach since 2012, so about 15 years experience
  • At Wisconsin, he produced multiple defenses that either led the nation in a major defensive category or were in the top 10 in said categories
    • Also helped produce multiple major award winners like Chris Borland and Joe Schobert, and a B1G defensive PotY in Borland
  • He won a national title as a DC at LSU
  • He is 15-3 in the last two seasons as a HC at Baylor, including a Big 12 Championship title in his second year
  • He knows the B1G well
  • Has a reputation for being very detail-oriented

As with any coach, there are some reasons to not like him (and reasonable questions about if he'd even want the NU job).

Aranda has one of the best offensive coordinators in Jeff Grimes too. He has coached the line and has a great appreciation of its importance. 

https://www.si.com/college/baylor/.amp/football/bears-jeff-grimes-dave-aranda-head-coach-big-12-byu

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

So, just because you’re not liking what you’re reading and don’t want to admit that he’s got a lot of very impressive traits as a candidate means the rest of us are in WTF territory? Ummm, okay.

He’s got a lot of good traits. The problem is, his name is being mentioned way too much on HB and he’s being treated as a much more viable candidate than he actually is. But sure, go ahead and continue, I’ll just ignore the mentions. Just seems like a ton of wasted energy on a fringe….I was going to say candidate but I’m sure he hasn’t risen to that level with our AD.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
55 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Aranda has one of the best offensive coordinators in Jeff Grimes too. He has coached the line and has a great appreciation of its importance. 

https://www.si.com/college/baylor/.amp/football/bears-jeff-grimes-dave-aranda-head-coach-big-12-byu

So the Billion $ question is:  Why would Aranda and Grimes come to Nebraska with their success in the Big 12 - which can more easily parlay into a playoff birth??

Maybe for the $$s we are willing to pay them or maybe for the challenge of rebuilding a true blue blood, or maybe just to be in one of the 2 premier conferences:dunno

If we could get them both, that would be a major deal.  Does a guy like Grimes want to start his HC gig at his age or is he more comfortable playing 2nd fiddle as OC?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So the Billion $ question is:  Why would Aranda and Grimes come to Nebraska with their success in the Big 12 - which can more easily parlay into a playoff birth??

Yep. All we can do is speculate and argue for the next three months, because we just don't know at what price the Nebraska job becomes desirable, if at all, for any of these guys we're dangling out there. We also don't know what other firings and openings the end of the season will bring.

Since we can't stop this thread from existing, we should probably chill and have a little more fun with it. 

• Plus1 2

The whole argument that schools/coaches need to be in the BIG or the SEC or get left behind kind of fell out the window with the playoff expansion, IMO. What is an easier task to accomplish, finishing in the top two, maybe three in the BIG/SEC or winning the BIG12/ PAC whatever. If I'm Campbell, Klieman, or Aranda, finishing top in the BIG12 looks like a heck of a lot easier path to the playoff than getting Nebraska to the top 2-3 in the BIG.