Who should our next HC be?

38 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Who the F is BRN?

To be fair, you should look in the mirror and follow your own advice.  you literally posted that frost couldn't compare to deion either as a player or a coach, yet you want to casually & conveniently not acknowledge that frostys experience prior to nebraska is quite a bit longer and more impressive than what deion has done.  

This is 2022.  We now know Frost is not a great HC by all the antecdotal evidence in the almost 200 pages on this site.

Ripping me for using wiki to fact check?  Ouch man.  Take it easy.  My thin illini skin can only take so much.

We love winning in Lincoln.  May the tradition continue.  ;)

Just now, notcorn said:

This is 2022.  We now know Frost is not a great HC by all the antecdotal evidence in the almost 200 pages on this site.

Ripping me for using wiki to fact check?  Ouch man.  Take it easy.  My thin illini skin can only take so much.

Big Red Nation.  I learned that on this thread.  Sorry I was trying to be cool like you.

Just now, notcorn said:

Not sure winning is any kind of Illinois tradition.  

Nope...I fact checked:
Illinois Fighting Illini football - Wikipedia

• Plus1 8
13 minutes ago, notcorn said:

Big Red Nation.  I learned that on this thread.  Sorry I was trying to be cool like you.

I see reading comprehension isn't a topic valued at Illinois.  I said prior to Nebraska.  

Also who the hell brags about where they got a degree from lol.  Instead of trying to be cool, start by being a decent human being.  You come off as an entitled pompous a$$ bragging about where u went to school and its not even a school worth bragging about :dunno

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
14 minutes ago, notcorn said:

Also, the ironic part is you're literally one of the few programs we actually have a winning record against since joining the Big10.  You're right on one thing, I sure do hope the tradition continues 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yep. All we can do is speculate and argue for the next three months, because we just don't know at what price the Nebraska job becomes desirable, if at all, for any of these guys we're dangling out there. We also don't know what other firings and openings the end of the season will bring.

Since we can't stop this thread from existing, we should probably chill and have a little more fun with it. 

We can start talking about our favorite BBQ for game day tailgating 

4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

So the Billion $ question is:  Why would Aranda and Grimes come to Nebraska with their success in the Big 12 - which can more easily parlay into a playoff birth??

Maybe for the $$s we are willing to pay them or maybe for the challenge of rebuilding a true blue blood, or maybe just to be in one of the 2 premier conferences:dunno

If we could get them both, that would be a major deal.  Does a guy like Grimes want to start his HC gig at his age or is he more comfortable playing 2nd fiddle as OC?

I think what you've got to hire is someone that likes cleaning up a mess and turning things around. There are people in business that way. With it comes the challenge and recognition of what's been accomplished. People are motivated by different things. It's not solely about the money or simply an increase in compensation.

There aren't many coaches without head coaching experience that I would consider. Grimes might be an exception. He's worked with and for a large variety of people. And, by all accounts genuinely cares about people.  Both he and Aranda take interest in their players. Either one or both would be a good fit. 

He's learned a lot and been influenced by a great many successful coaches. 

“I want guys who can impose their will on others. I tell guys to finish a block, even if a defender is out of a play. I want my offensive lineman to put him on the ground, and have all 300 pounds land on him, just so he knows how that feels. I’m not talking about diving at a guy’s knees. I’m talking about physical aggression.”

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougars/2017/12/15/monson-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-new-byu-offensive-coordinator-jeff-grimes/

24 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I see reading comprehension isn't a topic valued at Illinois.  I said prior to Nebraska.  

Also who the hell brags about where they got a degree from lol.  Instead of trying to be cool, start by being a decent human being.  You come off as an entitled pompous a$$ bragging about where u went to school and its not even a school worth bragging about :dunno

And it’s illinois ! Not Purdue, Not Northwestern- illinois 

Perusing some resumes for some of the dark horse candidates, as much as some people point to record as a reason to ding somebody like Leipold, you could certainly apply it more harshly to some other candidates people like as well.

DeBoer has coached all of 18 games at the D1 level. He only won 9 games in the Mountain West last year. He did not win the conference.

Doeren hasn't cracked double digit wins in ten years when he was at NIU winning the MAC. His record at NC State looks a lot more like Bo's with several 9 win seasons with some worse ones sprinkled in, in arguably a worse conference(s). He's good for a 58% win percentage in the ACC.

Just food for thought.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, M.A. said:

I think what you've got to hire is someone that likes cleaning up a mess and turning things around. There are people in business that way. With it comes the challenge and recognition of what's been accomplished. People are motivated by different things. It's not solely about the money or simply an increase in compensation.

There aren't many coaches without head coaching experience that I would consider. Grimes might be an exception. He's worked with and for a large variety of people. And, by all accounts genuinely cares about people.  Both he and Aranda take interest in their players. Either one or both would be a good fit. 

He's learned a lot and been influenced by a great many successful coaches. 

“I want guys who can impose their will on others. I tell guys to finish a block, even if a defender is out of a play. I want my offensive lineman to put him on the ground, and have all 300 pounds land on him, just so he knows how that feels. I’m not talking about diving at a guy’s knees. I’m talking about physical aggression.”

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougars/2017/12/15/monson-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-new-byu-offensive-coordinator-jeff-grimes/

Ive been calling for Grimes since last season. I think their offense is equally if not more impressive than their defense. They have a consistent ability to pick up yards when they need to and really do a lot with what is not high rated talent coming out of HS. I really want to keep Joseph even if he isnt HC but obviously id rather do what it takes to win. 

• Fire 1