Who should our next HC be?

8 hours ago, skeener said:

The brand couldn't attract a top tier, highly sought after coach when Solich, Calahan, and Pelini were fired.  Frost was highly sought after, but he had the connection.  There is no reason to think the brand could attract one now.

And as for recruits, a 17 year old recruit wasn't even born the last time the Huskers were a major power.  I'd guess kids start playing close attention to College Football when they're 10 to 12 years old.  The Huskers haven''t been relevant in college football at all since today's recruits were that age.

Money yes.  Loyal fan base and enthusiasm, yes.  Those are the strong points.  Brand name, no indication of that, no.

Agreed.

Trev seems to be much more pragmatic than his predecessor who sought the new shiniest toy. The announcement of the coach could be a complete surprise name most of us haven't heard of (likely an OC or DC at a solid program) which could underwhelm the fans. 

• Plus1 3

40 minutes ago, Osbourneite said:

Agreed.

Trev seems to be much more pragmatic than his predecessor who sought the new shiniest toy. The announcement of the coach could be a complete surprise name most of us haven't heard of (likely an OC or DC at a solid program) which could underwhelm the fans. 

If your going to hire a OC or DC I would hope you try to grab one from a very successful program. I don't prefer it to happen but if does please try to start there.

3 hours ago, Osbourneite said:

Agreed.

How about an OC or DC from NFL?

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Luke Fickell will come for the right amount. He has a personality that will fit the Trev mold and he has Cincinnati clicking on all cylinders. I also like O’Brien and Bret Bielema. Illinois will make some noise this season.

I was with until the O’Brien and Bielema parts. Hard pass on those two from me dawg.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I'm not sure why an NFL coordinator would want to be a college football HC, I know I would want to wait for an NFL job over college.

College HC salary $9 to $10 Million >>>> NFL Coordinator salary of $1 to $2 million.  It's called math.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Luke Fickell will come for the right amount. He has a personality that will fit the Trev mold and he has Cincinnati clicking on all cylinders. I also like O’Brien and Bret Bielema. Illinois will make some noise this season.

Doesn't make sense to me that he'd turn down USC and come to Nebraska. Guy won't leave Ohio to coach

6 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Well I keep hearing the media's choice is Lance Leipold bc of what he has done at Kansas. I hate the media outlets bc they obviously feel he would be a great hire. Big 10 football and Big 12 football are two totally different leagues with their styles and toughness. 

Not really true anymore now that everyone caught up to the air raid. Go look at last year's scoring defenses, there are 4 Big 12 teams in the top 25 and 5 big 10.

Jim Knowles was hired at OSU out of Oklahoma St and they've immediately improved.

There's almost zero difference between the two leagues aside from a consistency in pro-zone/off-tackle offensive scheme (Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan) and one conference has a team that's good enough to make a playoff and get waxed by Georgia/Alabama more consistently than the other. To say one is tougher isn't based in any facts.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Well I keep hearing the media's choice is Lance Leipold bc of what he has done at Kansas. I hate the media outlets bc they obviously feel he would be a great hire. Big 10 football and Big 12 football are two totally different leagues with their styles and toughness. When we joined, we thought we could hang with the big boys, boy were we in wrong.  The media and certain fans that want him would say that's a statement hire.

It cannot be discounted nor overstated just how much Leipold has won, virtually everywhere he's been. 

• Plus1 7

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

So he turned down USC and then they turned to Riley?  I don't think that is how it happened. 

That's how it's been reported. It's obviously not fact but the story is that Fickell had the job if he wanted it and Lincoln's agent approached them pretty late in the process.

8 minutes ago, commando said:

i sure hope trev is doing his research and finding the correct coach for the job and not the fans choice for the job.   that got us Frost last time and we all know how that turned out.

Trev's primary resource is this thread, as it should be. We're brilliant.

:D

Not that it really matters, but I think we should keep in mind that Frost was much more than a fan choice back in 2017. He was probably the hottest coaching candidate as that season went along, and likely the biggest reason Nebraska got him was because of his ties to the state. Florida and Tennessee were also pushing him hard and just about every college football analyst/pundit thought that Nebraska had hit an absolute home run with that hire.

Naturally, there were some questions about how it would all work out and what it would look like, but I think it is an unfair disservice to a lot of people who worked hard to make that hire happen if we characterize it as a "fan choice." There were a lot of teams that wanted Frost and there were a lot of reasons to like him as a candidate.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Jeremy Pernell: Parsing the Huskers’ Coaching Possibilities

Now that we've had a couple weeks to digest Scott Frost's firing, it's a good time to start looking forward and take a dive into some potential candidates. Trev Alberts will be aided by Collegiate Sports Associates, a prominent search firm the program also used during its most recent athletic director search.

Frost's removal was probably emotional for some supporters. Some fans adhere to the false narrative that "if he can't do it, no one can."

The fan base had been pretty split on Frost for the better part of two years. While I think that divide had narrowed significantly by the time he was fired, I think the insights from Mike'l Severe regarding some of the behind-the-scenes dysfunction going on with the program opened the eyes of many others still on the fence. Brenden Stai inadvertently airing some of his grievances on a hot mic a few days later only reinforces what some of us have known.

While some Frost apologists will never accept it, Severe and Stai echoed stories I've been told from several sources I trust dating back to 2019. In fact, I've heard things even more appalling regarding Frost's personal behavior and overall work ethic and approach toward his job.

Regardless, let's look forward like Trev Alberts suggested. The good thing is Frost's gone and now the program can take steps forward to hopefully get itself out of the doldrums.