Who should our next HC be?

52 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I like DeBoer, but holy cow people he's not even made it through one month at Washington.  Don't just pump the brakes, mash em through the floor.

I wanted him last year based upon his stellar resume before Washington picked him up. I am not surprised he is having early success at Washington.

• Fire 1
9 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I mean, there's a big difference between UW-Whitewater and the B1G. He didn't exactly knock it out of the park at Buffalo... heck, Turner Gill was successful at Buffalo. I still think his body of work is too small. Let's see how this season plays out.

Yes there is a big difference between the 2 levels, but it’s not like Leipold is going straight from D-3 to NU. The Buffalo team he took on was different than the one Gill coached, and he had 3 strong seasons to end his time at Buffalo. And he’s done well at KU so far. I agree it’s early for this year, but I don’t think Leipold is the “meh” hire that so many seem to think he would be. NU needs an adult who can turn around and establish a program, and Leipold fits that description. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

How long does Leipold take to win a big ten championship?  10 yrs?  Ever?   Big Ten west? 5 ?  10?   I don’t see anything about him that says he can recruit better than Pelini, Riley or Frost.  Are his X & Os better?   Idk.  

Imo Whipple/Joseph is better than Leipold.  
No splash.  There is a reason he’s at KU.  He not proven he’s a top coach.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

How long does Leipold take to win a big ten championship?  10 yrs?  Ever?   Big Ten west? 5 ?  10?   I don’t see anything about him that says he can recruit better than Pelini, Riley or Frost.  Are his X & Os better?   Idk.  

He has won EVERYWHERE he's been at multiple levels! No one can predict what he might do at the Big Ten conference level, but to assert that he's not a top coach is absurd. He has literally proved it at every level where he's had a chance.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
18 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Since when is Nebraska too good for anyone? NU has sucked for most of the past 20 years, and is one of the worst Power 5 teams of the past 7-8 years. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Leipold and Campbell are 2 very viable candidates, along with Aranda and some other coaches out there.  I don't think there is one single candidate that the consensus of Husker fans "want".

When I’m interacting with people and ask their preferences in person there’s significant support for Leipold and Aranda along with some Meyer. Aranda’s gained momentum the last several days. Leipold remains steady. Support for Campbell is still fairly strong though not as much as early on. O’Brien seldom gets mentioned. Occasionally there’s others. Stoops, Fickell, Leonard. 

It doesn’t seem that there’s much of a consensus forming. There’s support for Joseph to see how the remainder of the season turns out. For lack of a better word, many fans sound “deflated”. 

• Plus1 1

To be completely honest, I would really love it if Mickey Joseph ends up turning things around and ripping 6 wins this season and showing he deserves a chance. Wishful thinking, may be, but miracles do happen and may be from all this mess something good comes out. I truly believe that the game on Saturday will shows us if that is even possible. This option is better than all the speculations  and imaginary hypothetical coaches. At the end of the day, if we can’t get a proven coach, there is not much point of making another Riley hire. I am tired of the failed coaching carousel we have endured over the past two decades.

• Oh Yeah! 1

Lance Leipold, who is in his 16th season as a head coach and has shown essentially across three different divisions that he has what it takes to be successful and build a program from ashes, has a body of work that's "too small", but Dave Aranda, four games into year three as a head coach taking over a winning program, is a satisfiable candidate.

uh.. ok

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
11 hours ago, Loebarth said:

I want MJ to succeed. (because I like his style but also because he's one of us)

I want the program to get 5 more wins..

I want to reach a bowl for the first time in years

and I want all the above to bring CALM to the program so the athletes can focus on improving.

Those are my wants :)

And I want a toilet seat made out of solid gold. 

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Since when is Nebraska too good for anyone? NU has sucked for most of the past 20 years, and is one of the worst Power 5 teams of the past 7-8 years. 

So you want to perpetuate this?   If we want better, then we have to hire better.  Imo we can’t afford to just hire a proven average coach and hope he becomes great.  It will be difficult enough for a better than average coach much less one with less success.  A first year coach might become a great one but there is no way to tell.  A strong recruiter or a great CEO type (preferably both).  Then pair him up with the best staff we can find.  Nebraska has brand appeal for fans but the recruit attraction has deteriorated over the last five years dramatically.   It’s a rebuild but that doesn’t equal bottom P5 or worse as a program, yet.  

We first promoted from within a coach with long historical Neb ties that was given the controls of the very best program in the country, loaded with good talent very well developed (Solich).  Frank lacked the recruiting gravitas and energy, and the program nearly collapsed.  

We then hired a nationally known, experienced NFL coach without the college level understanding (Callahan).  He failed to turn things around quick enough and didn’t see the need for a defensive upgrade (he was singularly focused on his offense). 

We tried hiring an inexperienced NFL coach without recruiting strength/gravitas (Bo Pelini)  with great fan support despite having but one season of DC on his resume.   He struggled to be a Head Coach in areas beyond the X & Os and couldn’t deal with media pressures. He tried hard but was only an average recruiter. 

We tried a very experienced coach without recruiting gravitas (Riley).  He was a proven mediocre coach that people viewed mostly as ‘a nice guy’.

Finally, by popular demand, we tried a very unproven and inexperienced ‘Nebraska guy’ coach that had become the latest cfb ‘wonder boy’ with apparent national renown as a ‘splash’ hire. The presumption was he was a football genius that could recruit anyone anywhere.  His resume included lots of good experience working under very respected successful coaches, presuming he learned from the best.  He checked most of the boxes, except he didn’t really.  He lacked any actual proven recruiting record and lacking any sustained HC record as a program and team builder and staff manager. He wasn’t prepared and failed wildly.   Obviously he focused on receivers, RBs and one QB.  The rest of the team and staff were basically ignored.  This reflects his coaching and playing history as a QB with NFL dreams and a pass play designer type OC.   He brought an inexperienced staff without proven team building record.  

Now, we must focus on recruiting gravitas at the maximum level to overcome our recent deterioration as a program, and proven team and staff building and management success.  This hire is too critical.  Get the guy OR get the trio (HC, DC, OC).  We have pieces, maybe.  But recruiting the defense and O line and developing those is absolutely priority 1.  

Again, if we fail to hire Urban Meyer or one of the games well established elites, then focus on defense and line of scrimmage builders.  

• Thanks 1