Who should our next HC be?

10 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

route, but we may need to accept the fact that a big name (already head coach) may not be coming to coach the Huskers. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

There’s absolutely no, zero, zilch reason an existing HC wouldn’t be coming.  We don’t suck as much as so many on this board believe we do.  

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

Might get blasted on this one, but here we go....

Rossi from Minnesota...defensive minded coach. Has had success in the BIG and has sent guys to the NFL. Did a great job when Fleck actually had the balls to fire his DC in 2018 and turned it around. Pains me to go this route, but we may need to accept the fact that a big name (already head coach) may not be coming to coach the Huskers. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

Rossi is a fantastic coach. He does a lot of offseason clinic work for high school coaches in the twin cities and I've sat in on a handful of his sessions. Amazing teacher and will be an excellent HC.

Ryan Walters, Rossi, and Leonhard are all going to be great head coaches soon, but they're all still pretty green as far as those organizational skills go. I'd say Leonhard would be able to step into the Nebraska job or any other P5 job and really excel, but Rossi and Walters will probably go the MAC/FCS route prior..

I do disagree that we need to get a coordinator. Should be plenty of HCs wanting to be on solid footing in their conferences.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

There’s absolutely no, zero, zilch reason an existing HC wouldn’t be coming.  We don’t suck as much as so many on this board believe we do.  

Oh, there might be a head coach that might come here. I am talking a big name head coach like most of us are wanting. 

We don't suck? Have you watched the last 5 years? We DO suck and have a losing culture mindset right now. Hopefully the guys that are in place now can fix that. A team does not lose the way the Huskers have lost the last 5 years and not suck/have a loser mindset.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Rossi is a fantastic coach. He does a lot of offseason clinic work for high school coaches in the twin cities and I've sat in on a handful of his sessions. Amazing teacher and will be an excellent HC.

Ryan Walters, Rossi, and Leonhard are all going to be great head coaches soon, but they're all still pretty green as far as those organizational skills go. I'd say Leonhard would be able to step into the Nebraska job or any other P5 job and really excel, but Rossi and Walters will probably go the MAC/FCS route prior..

I do disagree that we need to get a coordinator. Should be plenty of HCs wanting to be on solid footing in their conferences.

I have sat in on a number of his clinics and been to practices/meetings with him. Great dude!

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

Oh, there might be a head coach that might come here. I am talking a big name head coach like most of us are wanting. 

We don't suck? Have you watched the last 5 years? We DO suck and have a losing culture mindset right now. Hopefully the guys that are in place now can fix that. A team does not lose the way the Huskers have lost the last 5 years and not suck/have a loser mindset.

I’m not talking wins and losses.  The coaching and administration/ ADs for 20 years have sucked, but they have no bearing on the next hire.   Nebraska, as a job doesn’t suck. 

• Plus1 5
  • TBH 1
21 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I’m not talking wins and losses.  The coaching and administration/ ADs for 20 years have sucked, but they have no bearing on the next hire.   Nebraska, as a job doesn’t suck. 

Agree.  The Nebraska job does not suck.  It just will take someone who is willing and excited about rebuilding the program.  Not someone who wants to take over an existing power.  There are good coaches out there that fall into that category.  

30 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Can someone provide me examples of what a “big name coach” hire would be, who are also realistic options? The names can’t be Urban Meyer or Chris Petersen.

Yeah I see where you're going with that and I agree with the line of thinking. The timing isn't nearly as great with Aranda and Riley just having gotten settled into huge deals. Aranda is not going anywhere.

I really think we're going to largely be disappointed by who gets announced. A big part of this is expectations bumping into reality for some people, but also a byproduct on who is realistically get-able.

I think the biggest variables in the candidate are:

1. Projecting their level of energy & motivation to actually give 100% effort.

2. Helping them bring in the right coordinators - not just having them bring their guys from their small-medium sized operations they're running now.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yeah I see where you're going with that and I agree with the line of thinking. The timing isn't nearly as great with Aranda and Riley just having gotten settled into huge deals. Aranda is not going anywhere.

I really think we're going to largely be disappointed by who gets announced. A big part of this is expectations bumping into reality for some people, but also a byproduct on who is realistically get-able.

I think the biggest variables in the candidate are:

1. Projecting their level of energy & motivation to actually give 100% effort.

2. Helping them bring in the right coordinators - not just having them bring their guys from their small-medium sized operations they're running now.

No matter who is hired, there will be certain amount of the fanbase that complains.  It's just the way it is.

What people need to think about is look at your list of favorites, whomever it is.  Would've you been happy hiring that guy before he was at his current position doing well?  Say you want Aranda, would have you been happy hiring him before he was at Baylor?

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No matter who is hired, there will be certain amount of the fanbase that complains.  It's just the way it is.

What people need to think about is look at your list of favorites, whomever it is.  Would've you been happy hiring that guy before he was at his current position doing well?  Say you want Aranda, would have you been happy hiring him before he was at Baylor?

I don’t get that last line of thinking. Aranda’s record as a head coach at Baylor has boosted his resume, and added head coaching experience to his already strong experience as a Defensive Coordinator. 

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Would've you been happy hiring that guy before he was at his current position doing well?  Say you want Aranda, would have you been happy hiring him before he was at Baylor?

You're right that Aranda is an interesting case there. Because two years ago, he was a guy that did not have "Power 5 head coaching experience." Arguably he was actually more like where Bo Pelini was in 2007ish - a really, really successful coordinator.

So if I'm being honest I probably wouldn't have been happy with him two years ago...but then he got Baylor to go 10-2 last year and now he looks golden.

28 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t get that last line of thinking. Aranda’s record as a head coach at Baylor has boosted his resume, and added head coaching experience to his already strong experience as a Defensive Coordinator. 

So, would fans be happy with hiring a really good Defensive Coordinator that might be the next Aranda?

43 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I get where you are coming from but I also get where BRB is coming from.  I think a better way to ask the question is would your favorite to be the next coach been your favorite 13 months ago?  So many people look at what is happening right now instead of looking at the body of work from a coach.  Aranda might be awesome.  I wouldn't be mad if we hired him but I don't feel any level of comfort because he has such little experience as a head coach. 

I don't have one coach I would be crazy about but I would like us to hire someone who has shown he can recruit, then develop those recruits, and ultimately win at a high level with the players he recruited.  Hiring anyone without those 3 things becomes a gamble we shouldn't take imo.      

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, MasterPulverizer said:

I was referring specifically to the person posting with "#HireMeyer" in their signature line.  I've read most of the 200+ pages of this thread and know everyone has their dream hire.

Referring to that person’s list…

It sounds like we have a similar view.

Which coaches do you like?