Who should our next HC be?

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Since I was a bit of a Negative Nellie last night, I will clarify my statement and what I see are the pros and cons about Joseph.

• Fans calling for Joseph to be hired after 1 win is pre-mature.  Yes, it's great to finally get a win, even if it's a below-average to bad Indiana team, and the team and coaching staff deserves to celebrate and be happy.  Let's see how a few more games go, after teams adjust to what changes NU has made
  • I like the energy that Joseph brings on the sideline and I like the energy that the kids play with.  I also like that he mostly remained calm on the sideline.  Even during the Corcoran ejection, he went to hold Turner accountable first, before arguing anything with the referee.  Joseph obviously wasn't happy with the mistakes at the end of the first half and I am sure he let the players know at halftime
  • I think Joseph will bring a strong/elite recruiting element to the program and surround himself with strong recruiters and developers.  I am concerned that he hasn't been a head coach before and lack of experience is being used against a lot of other coaching candidates.
  • I think too much is made about Joseph being a "Nebraska guy" and that's why he should get the job.  It's a plus, and he clearly has a connection to the area, especially the Omaha kids, as that's where he got his start in coaching.  I just think NU should hire the best coach they can get, regardless of "ties to the area" or him being a "Nebraska guy" or not.

Pretty much agree with all you posted.   Good win against a bit so great team.   Mickey seemed engaged with the players and vise versa.  Will be interesting to see how they all react going forward with the rest of the season.  

if Mickey is the right person then he will show it this season.  But you are spot on that NU needs to hire the best candidate regardless of ties to the school.  Let’s get the best coach possible. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

You have to figure the leader in the clubhouse is Mickey.  He has the advantage since he's currently auditioning for the job.

Yeah it's one game and we'll get beat again and people will come out of the woodwork to bash the guy or anyone saying he's qualified to be our next head coach.  

But he's displayed more coaching chops in two games than Frost did in five years here.

The most important traits a college head coach needs to possess are:

1) The ability to recruit.  Check

2) The ability to lead.  See the accountability that's been missing by the benching of Benhart after a whiff that lead to a touchdown and a hold that killed a moment changing drive.  Players will respond to that accountability

3) The ability to motivate.  I'd have loved to hear Mickey halftime speech.  I'm sure he peeled the paint off the walls and it showed.  But whatever was said it was down through the lens of coaching up the players not tearing them down.

4) Game management.  Example...we were up 14 with four minutes to play with the ball.  We run three times and punt which at the time was 100% the right tactic.  Frost would have try some f#&%ed up, go for broke, no fear of failure bubble screen or yolo bomb and at best we would have gave Indiana another extra couple minutes of time or at worst, turned the ball over. 

If this team continues to progress Trev will most likely hire Mickey.  The team plays for the guy. That's obvious.  If they progress and win four more games somehow and Trev doesn't hire Mickey the morale of this team will tank.   

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
6 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

If Nebraska gets to 6 wins, you almost have to hire Mickey, but I still feel like 4 wins total is tops for this team, 5 if they some how get lucky.  I don't think he gets hired without a bowl.

I agree with you.

I also think Huskers are 4-1 right now if MJ was coach to start the year.

truly, none of us have a clue…

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

This is now and Indiana has beaten us quite a few times in the past few years.  

We've only played 2 times this century prior to last night, and we split those games. Are you thinking of Turdue?

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I agree with you.

I also think Huskers are 4-1 right now if MJ was coach to start the year.

truly, none of us have a clue…

We can all laugh.  This season is a joke.

BUT, why is Joseph winning NW and GSU laughable?

Indiana is far better than both…

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

If Nebraska gets to 6 wins, you almost have to hire Mickey, but I still feel like 4 wins total is tops for this team, 5 if they some how get lucky.  I don't think he gets hired without a bowl.

I dunno man, of our remaining schedule Michigan is the only for sure loss.

literally every other big10 west team we have has just as many question marks as we do. Im

not expecting us to run the table or only lose a game the rest of the way but outside of Michigan there’s no reason why we’re not in every single game 

It was good to win, but with the Purdy drive debacle, the end of the second quarter collapse, and the insane amount of penalties, there were the typical bad stuff we see every game. Plus, Indiana was missing its top two WRs.  I give them credit for not choking in the 4th like they typically would, though.  I don't see this team getting to 6 wins, but I'd give Mickey the job if they did.  I hope we can at least keep Mickey on as an assistant.  He might leave if he feels he earned the job, but doesn't get it.  Mickey probably would have at least gotten us one more win out of the NW and GS games.

36 minutes ago, funhusker said:

We can all laugh.  This season is a joke.

BUT, why is Joseph winning NW and GSU laughable?

Indiana is far better than both…

The joke was Scott Frost, as he showed us all just how misguided hero worship can be. 

Now we've got a coach who has the team listening.  If the feeling of winning sets in we'll have a monster, but realistically we'll likely beat Rutgers and Purdue (Purdue a bit less likely but still not in the sure loss column).   Two more wins in addition to those two, and those two would be listed as a "quality wins," and we're bowl bound and also we're going to be challenged to believe in yet another "great hire" as our new coach, not to mention how challenged the returning players would be and here we go again.

It's also a plus for this program to have an African American as a Head Coach, another great reason to stop the search until after the season.  But yeah, those next 4 wins and the bowl have to be there. 

It might be prudent to pull the reigns on the chatter about bringing in an outsider.  That would do nothing but generate an unnecessary distraction.  This team, not to mention athletic director, appear to be 100% behind the coach currently in place.

Mickey has shown we can beat FBS teams.  That's a huge monkey off the program's back.  Not to mention it was a P5 opponent.

What I want to see going forward is for Mickey to find the 4 wins needed to get the bowl game monkey of our back.   That would be nothing short of miraculous on such short notice.  If we finally knock off Wisconsin and/or Iowa along the way, even better.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Since I was a bit of a Negative Nellie last night, I will clarify my statement and what I see are the pros and cons about Joseph.

• Fans calling for Joseph to be hired after 1 win is pre-mature.  Yes, it's great to finally get a win, even if it's a below-average to bad Indiana team, and the team and coaching staff deserves to celebrate and be happy.  Let's see how a few more games go, after teams adjust to what changes NU has made
  • I like the energy that Joseph brings on the sideline and I like the energy that the kids play with.  I also like that he mostly remained calm on the sideline.  Even during the Corcoran ejection, he went to hold Turner accountable first, before arguing anything with the referee.  Joseph obviously wasn't happy with the mistakes at the end of the first half and I am sure he let the players know at halftime
  • I think Joseph will bring a strong/elite recruiting element to the program and surround himself with strong recruiters and developers.  I am concerned that he hasn't been a head coach before and lack of experience is being used against a lot of other coaching candidates.
  • I think too much is made about Joseph being a "Nebraska guy" and that's why he should get the job.  It's a plus, and he clearly has a connection to the area, especially the Omaha kids, as that's where he got his start in coaching.  I just think NU should hire the best coach they can get, regardless of "ties to the area" or him being a "Nebraska guy" or not.

It’s encouraging. We have to get the best possible candidate. Neither make the performance any more than it was or take anything away from it. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

It might be prudent to pull the reigns on the chatter about bringing in an outsider.  That would do nothing but generate an unnecessary distraction.  This team, not to mention athletic director, appear to be 100% behind the coach currently in place.

Mickey has shown we can beat FBS teams.  That's a huge monkey off the program's back.  Not to mention it was a P5 opponent.

What I want to see going forward is for Mickey to find the 4 wins needed to get the bowl game monkey of our back.   That would be nothing short of miraculous on such short notice.  If we finally knock off Wisconsin and/or Iowa along the way, even better.

If Mickey gets us bowl eligible, especially considering where we were 3 weeks ago, it definitely would be a miracle and the job should absolutely be his imo. I’d love to see it play out that way.

• Plus1 3