Who should our next HC be?

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

I think that’s why they canned Chryst. They want Leipold.

Then they have a natural progression to Leonhard in 5-8 years with either Leonhard staying on staff as a coach-in-waiting or letting him get HC experience at a smaller job then bringing him back

When has a coach-in-waiting situation ever worked? Was Jimbo Fisher the CIW at Florida State the last couple of years for Bowden at FSU? Other than that, I can’t think of any of those actually panning out. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

When has a coach-in-waiting situation ever worked? Was Jimbo Fisher the CIW at Florida State the last couple of years for Bowden at FSU? Other than that, I can’t think of any of those actually panning out. 

Obviously an over-simplification but I heard it put like this some years ago:

Do they think the assistant had the answers this whole time and just wasn't telling anyone?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Yeah, it doesn’t seem like the best strategy.  But it seems like a Wisconsin thing (don’t ask me why).

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Yes, and it didn't end well, basically forced the legend out before he wanted to go, FSU fans never really forgave him, which led to the end of his time at FSU.  I am curious how much longer he will have at aTm, he isn't doing great there and considering the money they are spending in NIL, I can see a move made this season there too.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Born N Bled Red said:

Ugh.. man, worst case scenario, Frost to Wiscy and he owns our arse the next 25 years. 

Wiscy won't be that dumb.   With everything coming to light, Frost might have to sit out a season or two to get his head straight before thinking of coaching again.

• TBH 1

Wisconsin seemed to do just what Nebraska did in 2014 when they fired Pelini. Both guys had spent around 7 seasons at their schools and won division titles. Pelini finished 67-27 at Nebraska and Chryst finished 67-26 at Wisconsin.  It will be interesting to see how Leonhard does and whether Wisconsin can turn things around quickly.

30 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Sounds like Wisky fans didn’t want to risk losing Jim Leohnard to another school, so they did a pre-emotive firing of Chryst with the hopes that he succeeds in the interim and he can take the full time job. 

I think that it’s more likely that Leonard is hired HC. Unless things don’t go well. He may be an exception to what typically happens. 

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Lance Leipold is a Wiscosnin native and did well at the DII level there...

Leipold with ties close to Madison having coached Wisconsin Whitewater with a 109-6 record.  Kalen Deboer coached close to LIncoln with a 67-3 record at Sioux Falls, SD.  Leipold in year 2 at a P5 school and Deboer at year 1 at a P5 school.  Both Nebraska and Wisconsin have assistants on the radar to become head coaches in the near future.  It's been a wild 2022 season so far.  

• Fire 1
21 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Just because Frost didn’t turn out to be a good coach, doesn’t mean that Mike Riley didn’t deserve to be fired when he was. 

My point was “fans “ firing coaches.  Kind of like so the last shiny toy on the shelf doesn’t get bought by someone else. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1