Who should our next HC be?

On 10/1/2022 at 9:18 AM, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm a fan of Jamey Chadwell too, and his Coastal Carolina squad plays Georgia Southern today 

Curious why? The sample size of his scheme against actual P5 defenses is one game against a BYU team that got four days notice. 

I really want to buy in to the guy but I can't get around that fact. Hope they get a NY6 berth and get to take on OK State etc cause I'd love to see it.

I’d bet Wisconsin is looking at Aranda.  I would imagine his name is coming up with coaching searches more than Leonhard.  This firing now, points towards giving them a chance to appeal to “Coach X” before someone else (NU maybe) grabs him.  

I love that Wisconsin has now “stepped in it” so to speak. They could have let Chryst bow out gracefully and still got Leonhard or Leipold but instead they axed one of their best coaches ever.  This creates huge pressure for the next guy because 9 wins isn’t going to cut it anymore!  Deja vu? Curse lifted? Whatever you want to call it but it’s hilarious that Wisconsin copied us yet again.  We “might” now just be digging out from the bottom of that mistake 20 years later and now Wisconsin is entering the abyss. Feels good to no longer be the stooge! :lol:

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, BoSolich said:

paul chryst went 67-26. bo pelini went 67-27.

wisconsin better be careful what they wish for

It really is a similar situation isn't it?

We might offer our hindsight to warn Wisconsin of what might lie ahead, but on the other hand we should be able to relate to the program trending downward and how much less fun that is. Also, Nebraska is more desperate and I bet we don't want Paul Chryst either. 

So are we really saying Wisconsin should stay loyal to Chryst and see where the next few seasons go? 

7 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I’d bet Wisconsin is looking at Aranda.  I would imagine his name is coming up with coaching searches more than Leonhard.  This firing now, points towards giving them a chance to appeal to “Coach X” before someone else (NU maybe) grabs him.  

If I am Aranda I come to NU and be a hero with 6 or 7 wins and create excitement to bring back a blue blood program.  He would be beloved to be the guy that does it. Or he can go to Wisconsin and be a failure if he does not reach double digit wins.  Easy choice. Trev looks way better and reasonable to work with his expectations vs Wisconsin’s Pedey clone! 

I can defend the Chryst firing. The big ten west has about two more years until we go to a 3-6 scheduling scenario with nine games and three locked opponents, which is far more likely with the conference's geography in 2024 and beyond. PC was good for beating Iowa and Minnesota but not for being OSU, Michigan, USC, and Penn State regularly. Best to start the rebuild now and be in a good position to compete than later after the conference is more competitive and the top two teams play in Indy (or los angeles).

Of all the teams in the B10 West, Wisconsin has the most to lose 'after the merge' (survivor reference). Their brand of football dominates the West, but they have a hard time recruiting skill position players, have pretty tough academic requirements relatively speaking, and have to compete with the Packers for revenue. They can't really expand facilities and Camp Randall needs a facelift. Practice facilities are some of the worst in the P5 and Madison isn't exactly set up for new construction. They don't even have a 100-yard practice field.

Nebraska, on the other hand, has all these things going for it with room to grow. I don't see Michigan or Penn State being more competitive after merge, I see Iowa having an absolute shytshow to deal with in the near future with their administration and staff, and Michigan State is locked into a bad contract with a coach who's juggling knives with his roster. USC looks fine for the long term, but they'll probably drop one every year in November when they have to play Illinois or Purdue in freezing temps.

The way I see it, the Chryst firing is just confirmation that Nebraska is in a good spot. The narrative that came out after the frost firing about the 10-year plan for the big ten has schools like wisconsin and iowa afraid to wait. I don't think timing could be worse for them and better for us.