Who should our next HC be?

51 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

No I don’t but I don’t follow FCS one bit. I just assume that most successful FCS coaches get a shot at moving up a tier or two to coach. Seems like the natural progression.  125 coaches there and this tweet focuses on 3 with FCS experience somewhere on their resume and declares it the hidden gem guarantee. I’m guessing for every “hit” there are 20 misses.  But no. I don’t know that for sure. 

So your previous post was basically a bunch of assumptions because you assume that it's not really true.

That seems odd.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I definitely agree with your last sentence.

But I guess I don't remember any that fit that description that flamed out.  There probably are, I just don't know of any. 

Do you?

Just a few from a quick search session:

Will Healey went from FCS Austin Peay to FBS Charlotte and has gone 7-6, 2-4, 5-7, and 1-5 so far this year.

Mike Houston had massive success in DII and FCS and has gone 4-8, 3-6, 7-5, and 3-2 at East Carolina.

Hal Mumme went from Valdosta State to Kentucky and ended with a 20-26 record in the 90s. Then he did it again going from Southeastern Louisiana to New Mexico State where he went 11-38.

Dino Babers has had middling success at Bowling Green and then Syracuse.

Same with Willie Fritz.

Everett Withers, Mike London, Rich Ellerson, Bobby Johnson are some others

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Just a few from a quick search session:

Will Healey went from FCS Austin Peay to FBS Charlotte and has gone 7-6, 2-4, 5-7, and 1-5 so far this year.

Mike Houston had massive success in DII and FCS and has gone 4-8, 3-6, 7-5, and 3-2 at East Carolina.

Hal Mumme went from Valdosta State to Kentucky and ended with a 20-26 record in the 90s. Then he did it again going from Southeastern Louisiana to New Mexico State where he went 11-38.

Dino Babers has had middling success at Bowling Green and then Syracuse.

Same with Willie Fritz.

Everett Withers, Mike London, Rich Ellerson, Bobby Johnson are some others

I don't think most of those guys qualify as being "super successful" in FCS.

Will Healy's best year was 8-4.

Houston probably qualifies but he had his biggest success after he took over a James Madison program that was already fairly strong.

Hal Mumme's best years were making the quarterfinals.  Not all that super successful.  Managing a 7-4 record is hardly "doing it again."

Dino Babers was an FCS coach for all of two years who managed to make the Quarterfinals with Jimmy Garoppolo at QB.  Not exactly a huge track record.

Fritz was pretty run-of-the-mill at Central Missouri but did have really good years at Sam Houston State.

Everett Walters best season was 9-3.

Mike London took over for Dave Clawson.

Ellerson isn't close.

Bobby Johnson had one notable year.

So Houston and maybe Fritz are the only two that are even close to Clawson.  And none anywhere near Leipold or Klieman.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Pernell discusses Patterson and Leipold in this article.    I wanted Patterson when Bo was fired.  He is in his 60s now and says he is ready to be/rejuvenated to be 

a HC again.  Is he stuck in his ways?  Pernell asks that question.  

Leipold - can't argue wt his success at his previous stops prior to Kansas.  But as Pernell notes - his staff has less experience than the staff

Frost brought wt him to Lincoln.  His DC and OC have been with him since this Division 3 days.  

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/jeremy-pernell-two-intriguing-coaching-possibilities-for-nebraska

• Plus1 1

Before we forget, I think it's important to remind everyone that 2 of the most loved & respected coaches on this board were promoted to HC after being assistants with no head coaching experience. Who are those? Tom Osborne and Barry Switzer. In fact, many of the most successful coaches in our time were promoted assistants with no head coaching experience. Another good example (though I detest what he has done to his alma mater) is Barry Alverez. 

So, before writing Mickey off please keep an open mindset and give Mickey a fair assessment. Everyone on the board said Frost was safe with 7 wins and a bowl appearance. (safe at least for 1 more season) Trev said it wasn't about wins and losses as much as it was about player development and progress. These things should be the measuring stick for Mickey as well. Lastly, I can't help but wonder how much Mickey will lean on his family for advice and guidance. That family bleeds together and Mickey I'm sure will take full advantage of their input. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Before we forget, I think it's important to remind everyone that 2 of the most loved & respected coaches on this board were promoted to HC after being assistants with no head coaching experience. Who are those? Tom Osborne and Barry Switzer. In fact, many of the most successful coaches in our time were promoted assistants with no head coaching experience. Another good example (though I detest what he has done to his alma mater) is Barry Alverez. 

So, before writing Mickey off please keep an open mindset and give Mickey a fair assessment. Everyone on the board said Frost was safe with 7 wins and a bowl appearance. (safe at least for 1 more season) Trev said it wasn't about wins and losses as much as it was about player development and progress. These things should be the measuring stick for Mickey as well. Lastly, I can't help but wonder how much Mickey will lean on his family for advice and guidance. That family bleeds together and Mickey I'm sure will take full advantage of their input. 

Mickey is still in the running, certainly. Obviously if they win out (save a close loss to Michigan) I think you have to hire him. Same time, there might be names available soon, like Matt Rhule, and the longer you wait, the greater the risk you miss out on someone.

16 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

I'm going preface what I'm about to say with I never thought up until now that Mickey was a serious candidate for HC.  But I'm going to do a 180 and say that I think he is VERY much being considered.  Trev and Mickey played together so they go way back.  In my opinion Mickey was hired by Trev, not Scott.  If you put the puzzle pieces together it's easy to believe that Mickey ending up here when he did is more than a coincidence.  He didn't leave the comfort of his home state, which is full of talent for the position that he coached for a tiny pay raise.  He came here with the intention of being the next HC. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Farms said:

I'm going preface what I'm about to say with I never thought up until now that Mickey was a serious candidate for HC.  But I'm going to do a 180 and say that I think he is VERY much being considered.  Trev and Mickey played together so they go way back.  In my opinion Mickey was hired by Trev, not Scott.  If you put the puzzle pieces together it's easy to believe that Mickey ending up here when he did is more than a coincidence.  He didn't leave the comfort of his home state, which is full of talent for the position that he coached for a tiny pay raise.  He came here with the intention of being the next HC. 

Not a far fetched philosophy.  I do think Trev is in a tough spot. Mickey has a lot of attributes but maybe not the key ones Nebraska needs right now. I understand all of the arrangements for hiring an FCS or coordinator, but I feel a majority of the fan base wants someone with P5 HC experience. Trev himself has publicly stated last week that he greatly prefers someone who has P5 HC experience (not interim).  I think he would hire Mickey if we can get to 6 wins, but he needs to be searching HARD as we speak to stay ahead of the game, especially with all the early openings. 

10 minutes ago, Farms said:

If MJ became the HC, I wonder what kind of staff he'd put together?  Obviously Busch but would he retain Whip and the other offensive coaches?  Does Busch remain DC- does he have the experience to be full time DC?  I don't want a repeat of Frost - hire a guy we like and the staff falls short. So, can he attract high quality assistants?  Those are my questions if MJ is hired.  If he is hired it will because he did something amazing over the next several weeks. 

Mickey Joseph should be our next coach.  He is a recruiter and a developer.  It will open up a chance at a much more diverse roster, especially on the O Line, and maybe keep some Omaha kids from leaving the State. Only name that should take priority over Mickey is Bill O'Brien.  Mickey is also one of us and also has coaching experience in the SEC.

• Haha 1

Recent success is an indicator of future success BUT long term success is a better indicator of future success.  Frost is the perfect example of judging his book of work based too much on one chapter.  

We need to look carefully at a coach’s entire body of work.  

It may be ultimately that MJ gets chosen but I don’t believe he gets the job because his first team gets one or two wins this fall.  That’s not fair or wise to treat any applicant this way.  Imo.