Who should our next HC be?

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

If MJ became the HC, I wonder what kind of staff he'd put together?  Obviously Busch but would he retain Whip and the other offensive coaches?  Does Busch remain DC- does he have the experience to be full time DC?  I don't want a repeat of Frost - hire a guy we like and the staff falls short. So, can he attract high quality assistants?  Those are my questions if MJ is hired.  If he is hired it will because he did something amazing over the next several weeks. 

I think you hire Mickey for his leadership qualities, his ability to relate to players and to manage people.  You then go out and pay big $ for top notch coordinators that will run the schemes you desire.  We already know Trev will clear Mickey to pay whatever he needs so I doubt he'd have any trouble getting guys to work for him.  No doubt Busch would remain, but I don't think it would be as the DC.  I could see him getting a ST coordinator associate HC type title.   I think the only way you go this route with Mickey is if you hire a proven successful DC.   My gut feeling is that Whipple is going to be one year and he'll go back to the NFL in some capacity next year even if Mick is retained.  Joe Brady perhaps?  I think in any scenario that Mickey ends up as HC,  we would have a recruiting dream team at the very least.

• Plus1 3

18 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

If MJ became the HC, I wonder what kind of staff he'd put together?  Obviously Busch but would he retain Whip and the other offensive coaches?  Does Busch remain DC- does he have the experience to be full time DC?  I don't want a repeat of Frost - hire a guy we like and the staff falls short. So, can he attract high quality assistants?  Those are my questions if MJ is hired.  If he is hired it will because he did something amazing over the next several weeks. 

TBH, Mickey could retain Busch and Applewhite and hire family members for every other position and it would be far better than what we've had for the last 10 years!

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Recent success is an indicator of future success BUT long term success is a better indicator of future success.  Frost is the perfect example of judging his book of work based too much on one chapter.  

Yeah, Scott proved to be a massive disappointment and his early season firing was totally defensible, but let's not go down the road of second-guessing his resume when we hired him, cause that doesn't help us at all right now.

Frost actually came up the coaching ranks as a linebackers coach and then co-defensive coordinator in the fairly competitive  Missouri Valley conference, where his team led the conference in defense. That's enough to get him promoted to perhaps the premier college program at the time, where he's in charge of the receivers in Chip Kelly's innovative offense, and then goes on to call the shots as OC for three years after Kelly leaves, and Oregon hardly misses a beat. (Neither Chip Kelly nor Mark Helfrich fared as well.) Frost's supposedly pass-happy speed & finesse offense also boasted the 9th best rushing offense in the nation. 

At this point Scott's football mentors are Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Chip Kelly and Tom Osborne. He's a Broyles finalist as one of the top assistant coaches in the country and he's at least making the list of most next level HC searches. UCF, a good program with higher expectations nabs Frost to turnaround their 0-12 team without any HC experience, and two seasons later Scott delivers a 13-0 season, a bowl victory against an SEC powerhouse, and a #6 ranking. 

In 2017, Scott Frost is on every team's short list, including hard lobbying from Florida and Tennessee, who both have the resources and expectations to make the splashiest hire. Scott goes with his heart and the rest is history. Florida and Tennessee hire coaches with other resumes and more chapters, but fire them faster than we fired Frost.

One chapter? Hardly.

There's a good chance Nebraska will hire a coach with a resume similar to or lesser than Scott Frost's in 2017 and we will justify it without even thinking how it compares to Scott Frost's resume because humans and circumstances are loaded with variables and there is no sure thing. Not even Urban Meyer.

• Plus1 4

Competent superiors surround themselves with competency and then let team leaders do their jobs. Haven't you been at a job where you were going through the motions doing as directed and only partially engaging your mind? Where was the ownership! Where was the collaboration? 

The sum is always greater than the individual parts. If the leader lacks confidence and trust in you, doesn't that adversely effect one's mindset and performances?

How is saying "I intend to" different than saying tryAnd, doesn't this apply to athletic teams as well? 

13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah, Scott proved to be a massive disappointment and his early season firing was totally defensible, but let's not go down the road of second-guessing his resume when we hired him, cause that doesn't help us at all right now.

Frost actually came up the coaching ranks as a linebackers coach and then co-defensive coordinator in the fairly competitive  Missouri Valley conference, where his team led the conference in defense. That's enough to get him promoted to perhaps the premier college program at the time, where he's in charge of the receivers in Chip Kelly's innovative offense, and then goes on to call the shots as OC for three years after Kelly leaves, and Oregon hardly misses a beat. (Neither Chip Kelly nor Mark Helfrich fared as well.) Frost's supposedly pass-happy speed & finesse offense also boasted the 9th best rushing offense in the nation. 

At this point Scott's football mentors are Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Chip Kelly and Tom Osborne. He's a Broyles finalist as one of the top assistant coaches in the country and he's at least making the list of most next level HC searches. UCF, a good program with higher expectations nabs Frost to turnaround their 0-12 team without any HC experience, and two seasons later Scott delivers a 13-0 season, a bowl victory against an SEC powerhouse, and a #6 ranking. 

In 2017, Scott Frost is on every team's short list, including hard lobbying from Florida and Tennessee, who both have the resources and expectations to make the splashiest hire. Scott goes with his heart and the rest is history. Florida and Tennessee hire coaches with other resumes and more chapters, but fire them faster than we fired Frost.

One chapter? Hardly.

There's a good chance Nebraska will hire a coach with a resume similar to or lesser than Scott Frost's in 2017 and we will justify it without even thinking how it compares to Scott Frost's resume because humans and circumstances are loaded with variables and there is no sure thing. Not even Urban Meyer.

One chapter as a HC.  Frost’s big fail is being a HC mostly.  I hate his offense but he was hired, imo, for the following:

1.   13-0 season at UCF

2.    His Neb heritage

3.    His ‘coaching trees’ 

His ‘leadership’ and staff management, etc etc were barely considered - he had none beyond UCF.   His monumental fail at NU was simply put - he proved to be a very poor HEAD COACH.  A player magnet (WRs, RBs, a QB) that repelled as many as he attracted.  

Player development (big picture stuff generally) was relatively unknown.  Two seasons at UCF was not enough.  

Give him two chapters if you will.  Fans judged him by his cover mostly and saw (imagined really) so much they wanted to see.  His resume was probably right to be hired by NU as OC.  Not HC.   

• Fire 1
3 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Mickey takes a big step forward with a win at Rutgers. I’d argue he will also take a big step backward with a loss at Rutgers.  He needs to win on Friday. 

I think he needs to win out except Michigan.    As much as we all like MJ, he still lacks that successful P5 HC experience or even the successful G5 HC experience. 

I think Trev is looking for successful experience at a high level.  I think the ideal thing would be we hire a guy like Patterson or other older successful experienced guy and name MJ as assistant HC and 'coach in waiting' - which is a term I don't care for - put the principle that he is being groomed for the position by a good developer who may have a desire to restore Nebraska and then retire.  Maybe a pipe dream for that type of situation.   On the other side of the coin, could MJ be the hidden gem worth taking a chance on - the next few weeks will show us if that is the case. 

3 hours ago, Farms said:

I think you hire Mickey for his leadership qualities, his ability to relate to players and to manage people.  You then go out and pay big $ for top notch coordinators that will run the schemes you desire.  We already know Trev will clear Mickey to pay whatever he needs so I doubt he'd have any trouble getting guys to work for him.  No doubt Busch would remain, but I don't think it would be as the DC.  I could see him getting a ST coordinator associate HC type title.   I think the only way you go this route with Mickey is if you hire a proven successful DC.   My gut feeling is that Whipple is going to be one year and he'll go back to the NFL in some capacity next year even if Mick is retained.  Joe Brady perhaps?  I think in any scenario that Mickey ends up as HC,  we would have a recruiting dream team at the very least.

Disclaimer: In no way am I comparing a one win Mickey Joseph with the "Great" Dabo Swinney, but if you are looking for a successful comp for Mickey I found the irony of the start of Dabo's career as a HC eerily similar to what Mickey has the potential to accomplish this season. If this has been shared already my apologies I don't get to hit up this board as often as I would like. Below taken from Wikipedia:

Clemson[edit]

In 2002, Tommy Bowden—Swinney's former position coach at Alabama— offered him the position of wide receivers coach at Clemson, and Swinney joined in 2003. He also took over as recruiting coordinator from popular longtime coordinator Rick Stockstill. Swinney proved to be both an excellent wide receivers coach as well as recruiting coordinator, coaching ACC-leading receivers and being named one of the nation's top 25 recruiters in 2007 by Rivals.com.[6]

2008 season[edit]

Swinney was named the interim head football coach on October 13, 2008, after head coach Tommy Bowden resigned six games into the season.[7] The Tigers had started the year ranked #9 in the preseason polls, but then went 3–3 (1–2 ACC) in their first six games.[8] At the time he was informed of his promotion, he was working with the wide receivers on their upcoming game.[9]

With a reputation as a top-notch recruiter, Swinney was chosen over Clemson defensive coordinator Vic Koenning (former head coach of Wyoming), and associate head coach Brad Scott (former head coach of South Carolina).[10] Swinney's first actions as interim head coach were to fire offensive coordinator Rob Spence and introduce a new tradition, the "Tiger Walk", where all players and coaches walk through the parking lot outside Memorial Stadium about two hours before a game as they head inside for final game preparations.[11] On October 18, in his first game as interim Head Coach, the team lost to Georgia Tech 21–17.[12] On November 1, 2008, Swinney claimed his first victory as the Tigers' head coach by defeating Boston College, breaking Clemson's six-game losing streak against the Eagles. On November 29, 2008, Swinney coached Clemson to a 31–14 win over South Carolina in the annual rivalry game, after which Clemson became bowl eligible. After a vote of confidence from athletic director Terry Don Phillips, Swinney was formally named as Clemson's 27th head coach on December 1, 2008. In his first game as the full-time head coach, he lost the 2009 Gator Bowl to the Nebraska Cornhuskers 26–21.

Swinney's recruiting reputation became evident when he produced five top-20 ESPN recruiting classes in a row, including top 10 classes in 2011 and 2012.[13] As a result, Clemson was one of only 10 schools to be ranked in the top 20 of recruiting five years in a row (along with LSU, Alabama, Texas, USC, Florida, Georgia, Florida State, Ohio State, and Oklahoma), and as of 2014 Swinney was one of only four active head coaches at the time to accomplish the feat (along with Nick Saban, Les Miles, and Bob Stoops).[13]

Despite his recruiting reputation, Swinney was an unpopular hire among some Clemson fans. Some fans and pundits noted that he had never been more than a position coach. Others were skeptical that Clemson had opted to retain one of Bowden's assistants.[14][15]

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Auburn interested in Tom Herman and Todd Monken, two guys I had on my list.

They will enjoy firing them in 3-4 years too? 

I’m kidding, but maybe not. Lol

No head coach that’s sane will take that job after what they did to Harsin.

They want to be Bama and Georgia so bad and in return act like complete idiots.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Give him two chapters if you will.  Fans judged him by his cover mostly and saw (imagined really) so much they wanted to see.  His resume was probably right to be hired by NU as OC.  Not HC.   

No. You're wrong. Seriously. Please re-read the post and pretty much everything written by non-Husker college football observers at the time of Frost's 2017 hiring. Scott Frost was judged by some of the most prestigious college football programs and observers, who didn't imagine what they wanted to see and had no scarlet-colored glasses. Frost's resume was pretty much everything you wanted in a hot (and available) HC prospect, and would be the same today under a different name. Wait for Frost to get a few more HC season under his belt, and you'll know more, but you will also have missed the opportunity.

Nebraska fans just had the added thrill of knowing he was one of ours, and that gave us the leverage to hire the hottest candidate away from Florida, Tennessee and other top schools reading the same resume. Our expectations were higher and our disappointment deeper for the hometown hero, but this kind of hindsight offers few useful lessons. 

Why would Nebraska be so cocky to think the Offensive Coordinator at Oregon would prefer to be the Offensive Coordinator at Nebraska, much less leave the team he just led to a #6 national ranking for the demotion?

• Plus1 2