Who should our next HC be?

6 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

One chapter as a HC.  Frost’s big fail is being a HC mostly.  I hate his offense but he was hired, imo, for the following:

1.   13-0 season at UCF

2.    His Neb heritage

3.    His ‘coaching trees’ 

His ‘leadership’ and staff management, etc etc were barely considered - he had none beyond UCF.   His monumental fail at NU was simply put - he proved to be a very poor HEAD COACH.  A player magnet (WRs, RBs, a QB) that repelled as many as he attracted.  

Player development (big picture stuff generally) was relatively unknown.  Two seasons at UCF was not enough.  

Give him two chapters if you will.  Fans judged him by his cover mostly and saw (imagined really) so much they wanted to see.  His resume was probably right to be hired by NU as OC.  Not HC.   

If you have an undefeated season as a HC you're not looking to become an OC as a "next step".

• TBH 1

7 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah, Scott proved to be a massive disappointment and his early season firing was totally defensible, but let's not go down the road of second-guessing his resume when we hired him, cause that doesn't help us at all right now.

Frost actually came up the coaching ranks as a linebackers coach and then co-defensive coordinator in the fairly competitive  Missouri Valley conference, where his team led the conference in defense. That's enough to get him promoted to perhaps the premier college program at the time, where he's in charge of the receivers in Chip Kelly's innovative offense, and then goes on to call the shots as OC for three years after Kelly leaves, and Oregon hardly misses a beat. (Neither Chip Kelly nor Mark Helfrich fared as well.) Frost's supposedly pass-happy speed & finesse offense also boasted the 9th best rushing offense in the nation. 

At this point Scott's football mentors are Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Chip Kelly and Tom Osborne. He's a Broyles finalist as one of the top assistant coaches in the country and he's at least making the list of most next level HC searches. UCF, a good program with higher expectations nabs Frost to turnaround their 0-12 team without any HC experience, and two seasons later Scott delivers a 13-0 season, a bowl victory against an SEC powerhouse, and a #6 ranking. 

In 2017, Scott Frost is on every team's short list, including hard lobbying from Florida and Tennessee, who both have the resources and expectations to make the splashiest hire. Scott goes with his heart and the rest is history. Florida and Tennessee hire coaches with other resumes and more chapters, but fire them faster than we fired Frost.

One chapter? Hardly.

There's a good chance Nebraska will hire a coach with a resume similar to or lesser than Scott Frost's in 2017 and we will justify it without even thinking how it compares to Scott Frost's resume because humans and circumstances are loaded with variables and there is no sure thing. Not even Urban Meyer.

Great points, but one thing concerning regarding Frost (more in hindsight) was he had 2 years of HC before coming to NU.  Just 2.  It wasn't like he progressed through multiple spots as a HC.  He came into a tough situation that unfortunately he did not have the acumen nor staff to right the ship.  I think his overall lack of being a HC hurt him tremendously.  Frost was kept longer because he was Frost.  Should've been fire after 2020 if not earlier.

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

Great points, but one thing concerning regarding Frost (more in hindsight) was he had 2 years of HC before coming to NU.  Just 2.  It wasn't like he progressed through multiple spots as a HC.  He came into a tough situation that unfortunately he did not have the acumen nor staff to right the ship.  I think his overall lack of being a HC hurt him tremendously.  Frost was kept longer because he was Frost.  Should've been fire after 2020 if not earlier.

Of course he was retained mostly because of his relationship with Nebraska power brokers.

His resume' was better than good though.  An undefeated season in your second year as a head coach will skyrocket your stock.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Of course he was retained mostly because of his relationship with Nebraska power brokers.

His resume' was better than good though.  An undefeated season in your second year as a head coach will skyrocket your stock.

We gotta put an end to the hindsight. Nebraska hiring Scott Frost in 2017 was a no-brainer. I don't recall anyone fretting he only had 2 years of HC experience. I do recall everyone citing his ability to go from 0-12 to 13-0 in those two years. Other prestigious programs seemed to think his resume was just fine.

Isn't it fun when we agree?

I will gently push back on Scott's relationship with Nebraska power brokers circa 2021/22. There were loads of built-in caveats when Frost was retained. And after Georgia Southern, those same power brokers apparently had no trouble ponying up $7.6 million to have Scott empty his desk immediately. 

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We gotta put an end to the hindsight. Nebraska hiring Scott Frost in 2017 was a no-brainer. I don't recall anyone fretting he only had 2 years of HC experience. I do recall everyone citing his ability to go from 0-12 to 13-0 in those two years. Other prestigious programs seemed to think his resume was just fine.

Isn't it fun when we agree?

I will gently push back on Scott's relationship with Nebraska power brokers circa 2021/22. There were loads of built-in caveats when Frost was retained. And after Georgia Southern, those same power brokers apparently had no trouble ponying up $7.6 million to have Scott empty his desk immediately. 

You and I agree more than either probably lets on.