Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, Danimal said:

Disagree that Riley was on lists like this, hadn't been a hot name in years. Oregon State was consistently mediocre and it looked like he was on the downward slide of his career, that's why he was such a surprise.

That very same Mike Ferrell was big on the Riley hire back in 2015, considered it a coup, and was quoted saying he thought Nebraska scored a better hire than Florida did with McElwain. 

You're right that Riley wasn't on lists in 2015 because he had spurned previous offers and it was generally understood he planned to finish out with his hometown team in Corvallis, then trending downward.  

1 hour ago, Husker816 said:

Gundy has something like 7 10+ winning seasons since 2010. He would be a great hire. Bring in his brother Cale & Keep Mickey on the staff you would have 1 of the best offensive recruiting staffs in the country. 

Yes, I didn't think about the Cale part of it.  Gundy for sure has shown more success than many of the others.  His offense is fun to watch because he normally has 2-3 dynamic play makers.  I was at the OSU game the last time we played them at Stillwater and TM was QB- his freshman year.  It was a real shootout which we won.  Taylor had been tearing teams apart with his running but in that game he showed he could pass.  OSU had Blackman as a receiver and I think it was Prince who was guarding him all game. It was also at that game where one of our guys, Martin I believe,  knocked an OSU player cold on a kickoff return with a blind sided block.  The conference made him sit out the next game. 

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Who would be MJ's staff?

I would guess BB would stay but not as DC

The RB coach would stay

You would get a new WR coach

QB coach?

Imagine being in MJ's shoes right now...making like 40K a month...with a chance to be making like 400K a month, depending on how things go the next 8 weeks.

I'll take the $40k a month and happily smile all the way to the bank.   But yes your point is taken - a big opportunity for him. 

• TBH 1

2 hours ago, sho said:

What was the reason he was ousted from Auburn?

He suffered from the Frank Solich syndrome.    Unrealistic Expectations by the admin and boosters. 

He started as HC by being in the NC game - that seemed to be the expectation from that time forward. 

Here is a summary of his time at Auburn:

https://www.theplainsman.com/article/2020/12/a-recap-of-gus-malzahns-eight-seasons-at-auburn

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, talaricohusker said:

I am pretty sure its MJs job to lose at this point. listing to him talk and everything he has done up to this point has been good i know the OK game wasnt very good but he sure turned it around that second week. He is at the top right now and if he keeps winning itll be his job

OPEN / HONEST QUESTION TO EVERYONE: 

What would be MJ's defensive and offensive style/scheme/philosophy if he were retained as HC?   

We have an idea with some of these established coaches but really don't know what his philosophy would be on both sides of the ball.  Right now he is allowing Whip to continue to being Whip on the O side.  He canned Chin and Busch is trying to be more aggressive on the D side.  But still I don't know what his system would be like.   That is what I see as a problem with him becoming HC - he'd be HC in training- developing a system as he goes.  He may be a great developer of WRs but what do we know about the other aspects of his coaching?

7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

He suffered from the Frank Solich syndrome.    Unrealistic Expectations by the admin and boosters. 

He started as HC by being in the NC game - that seemed to be the expectation from that time forward. 

Here is a summary of his time at Auburn:

https://www.theplainsman.com/article/2020/12/a-recap-of-gus-malzahns-eight-seasons-at-auburn

If its Malzahn, we should have just kept Pelini. Same results, maybe Malzahn has a nicer angry face? 

24 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

OPEN / HONEST QUESTION TO EVERYONE: 

What would be MJ's defensive and offensive style/scheme/philosophy if he were retained as HC?   

We have an idea with some of these established coaches but really don't know what his philosophy would be on both sides of the ball.  Right now he is allowing Whip to continue to being Whip on the O side.  He canned Chin and Busch is trying to be more aggressive on the D side.  But still I don't know what his system would be like.   That is what I see as a problem with him becoming HC - he'd be HC in training- developing a system as he goes.  He may be a great developer of WRs but what do we know about the other aspects of his coaching?

If he can drag this team to a bowl game, I'm willing to give him the chance to figure those things out. We don't know a whole lot other than he wants to be more aggressive on defense and is willing to slow down the offense to help our defense, which are big tactical improvements over Frost/Chins. It's hard to say what he wants offensively since he doesn't appear to have called plays - maybe he did at Langston? But I wouldn't necessarily take this season as an indication on what he wants to do on that side of the ball, he's going to tell Whip to adjust as Joseph sees fit but won't make him change his whole offense.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

25 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

If he can drag this team to a bowl game, I'm willing to give him the chance to figure those things out. We don't know a whole lot other than he wants to be more aggressive on defense and is willing to slow down the offense to help our defense, which are big tactical improvements over Frost/Chins. It's hard to say what he wants offensively since he doesn't appear to have called plays - maybe he did at Langston? But I wouldn't necessarily take this season as an indication on what he wants to do on that side of the ball, he's going to tell Whip to adjust as Joseph sees fit but won't make him change his whole offense.

The bold cannot be overstated.  Very good point.  

• Fire 1
7 hours ago, gorp512 said:

My fault. Totally didn't connect the two. I was referring to Ed Orgeron

Yeah, after I posted that I thought maybe that might have been what you meant since nobody refers to TO as coach O. But for the record I'm a big no on Ed also but have no idea what MJ thinks of him.

5 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

I am pretty sure its MJs job to lose at this point. listing to him talk and everything he has done up to this point has been good i know the OK game wasnt very good but he sure turned it around that second week. He is at the top right now and if he keeps winning itll be his job

I'm rooting for the guy, but let's slow that roll.  A win against Indiana hasn't turned it around as much as it stopped the bleeding. We'll see.

Experienced and coveted HCs are still the priority for Alberts, as they should be. It's not Mickey's to lose, but he could still earn a place in the mix. 

What could happen in late November: Alberts looks up and sees his top candidates off the board, a potential embarrassment that leads him to the second tier, where the Callahans and Riley's reside. If Mickey Joseph has done modestly well, and pulled off an upset against even one of our last four opponents, he becomes a legitimate face-saving option. 

• Fire 1

I have about 2-3 coaches who I would really like to get for the Nebraska job.  Then when I listen to MJ and I equally like the fact that he's in the HC role now and I don't want that to end.  Like MJ says, it comes down to W & L.  Time will tell.

• Fire 1