Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, gorp512 said:

No new names have recently come out which would make you think they their guy is coaching somewhere else in a HC capacity. 

Even watching Rutgers adopt the identity of their macho meatball of a head coach is refreshing in what an entire culture change can do. Still think it's gotta be one of the Matts-Rhule or Campbell 

Or maybe Aranda? Definitely not Meyer or we'd already know.....waitresses would be lining up.

11 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Or maybe Aranda? Definitely not Meyer or we'd already know.....waitresses would be lining up.

It is just hard to envision Aranda coming. If he wanted to go to the Big Ten, Wisconsin would have him. The reality of the absolute gut job this program needs is becoming more apparent each week. 

Thinking of who could be just the opposite of the dishwasher seepage of this program, Jamey Chadwell comes to mind, but it's, again, hard to think of him outside of SEC or South for his next gig. 

People proud of the defense today is mind boggling. I thought we tackle in practice now, so that wouldn't be so atrocious? The secondary was so god awful that the Rutgers wideouts quite literally didn't know what to do with so much space. 

Tear. It. Down. 

• Haha 1

I'm playing on the LSU connection I think Mickey is to much of a tool at recruiter to be a full time HC. I would like to see Dave Aranda here, has worked with both Joseph and Busch in the past and could possibly be worked with to retain them. He's a defensive minded HC which is what we need, also like BIll and Mickey he's not a sunshine pumper he'll tell things like they are and not beat around the bush. Aranda I think is the best way for us to retain a few of the "good" staff members around here, knows and can trust the opinion of Bill and Mickey to hopefully give a long look to Applewhite and Beckton.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, PattyG said:

I'm playing on the LSU connection I think Mickey is to much of a tool at recruiter to be a full time HC. I would like to see Dave Aranda here, has worked with both Joseph and Busch in the past and could possibly be worked with to retain them. He's a defensive minded HC which is what we need, also like BIll and Mickey he's not a sunshine pumper he'll tell things like they are and not beat around the bush. Aranda I think is the best way for us to retain a few of the "good" staff members around here, knows and can trust the opinion of Bill and Mickey to hopefully give a long look to Applewhite and Beckton.

You really want to keep Busch?

It makes sense for Aranda to keep Mickey, but everyone else-from Whipple to the GAs-gotta go. 

36 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

All joking aside…is this true? Are we able to name someone now if we have a guy in place who isn’t coaching elsewhere? Or how does that work? I know when Urban went to Ohio State, they waited until the end of the regular season to announce it.

3 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

Hell yes I'd love to see Bill stay on, he's done well in the last few weeks 

Aranda would likely bring Ron Roberts with him as that is who he learned much of his own defensive schemes from. It's an attacking style that is a little different than Busch's "they can't ever turn the edge if we don't set one" philosophy 

Mickey Joseph is 4 more wins away from guaranteeing himself the head coaching job. He is 3 wins away from being a very serious hire if 1a does not accept. He's 1-2 wins away from being a very good choice if he ends up getting the job. 

MJ is the maybe the first true professional and mature head coach we have had since Frank Solich. Also reading things that he has done for the players it is no wonder he is a great recruiter and the players love playing for him. Right now everything I see from MJ is if Nebraska hired him as a full time head coach I would be totally happy. Sure the names of Urban Meyer, Chris Petersen, Aranda, Kiffin, all those big names excite me too, but if Alberts and Nebraska end up picking Joseph I will be happy and supportive of the hire and be optimistic he can build something. Because in the very short 4 weeks and 3 games of being the head coach of what was a dumpster fire, he is 2-1 and the team actually looks far better than they did versus Oklahoma. I don't know the last time we saw this fast of an improvement and I think that improvement.

Regardless, Joseph needs to be around this program moving forward.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
24 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

All joking aside…is this true? Are we able to name someone now if we have a guy in place who isn’t coaching elsewhere? Or how does that work? I know when Urban went to Ohio State, they waited until the end of the regular season to announce it.

I think every sports outlet in the world would let us know if he had an interest....plus the waitresses would be all over it.

9 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Mickey will be ecstatic to learn you and him see eye to eye with regards to recruiting. 

I hear your snarkiness but the interview with Mickey earlier this week was refreshing. He was all about recruiting commenting Saban, Dabo, and Ohio State have players. Good players always beat good coaching. Ideally you need both and he also talked player development. The prior coach couldn’t keep the recruits he got, couldn’t develop players, and thought B1G teams would have to adjust to his advanced coaching schemes. Nope. Plus Mickey quoted Deion Sanders in that interview. Epic troll, haha. I don’t know if Mickey will get the job but he has the right mind set and gets it.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, chamrocck said:

If Deion Sanders brought a top 5 class to Nebraska would you hire him?  What I saw tonight was two not very good teams. We need some players.  I am not sure what else Mickey can do. I’m all in on recruiting and this is a positive for Mickey because he is the same way. Whoever the next hire is must crush it in recruiting. 

Not sure I’m following you here. We’ve averaged 24th ranked recruiting class over the last 4 years, Rutgers averaged 49th. We should have the talent to not look like one of the two not good teams you saw. I think Mickey is doing the best he can as it’s not as simple as that, but I don’t think he’s the long term answer for a head coach at the level we want to be at. I like him and hope the next guy figures out a way to keep him. But I’m just not seeing it in his first 3 games so far.