Who should our next HC be?

8 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I never said I wanted him as HC. But he recruiting ability is undeniable.

still waiting for someone to provide names of candidates who can regularly land Top 15 since there are so many 

Urban

Deion

That’s all I got. The rest of the names are huge long shots in that department. And it’s a department we need to be A+

• Haha 4

Just now, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Urban

Deion

That’s all I got. The rest of the names are huge long shots in that department. And it’s a department we need to be A+

I'm wondering about Rhule- He did wonders at Baylor and maybe like Saban - he just isn't cut out for the NFL.   Not saying he's in Saban's league - but after his NFL stint, who would have figured that Saban would become GOAT in the college ranks??  Rhule could bring some NFL knowledge into the college game that perhaps recruits could look up to.  I'm convinced Urban isn't going to happen even if I wish it could.   Deion - I just don't know. Is Prime Time ready for prime time P5 football?

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, huskerfan99 said:

And as unfortunate as that is it’s ok. 

There are plenty of coaches that can recruit to Nebraska. 

This notion that if Mickey leaves we are all doomed needs to stop. 

I think Mickey has done a great job with the incredible sh!t show Frost left him with.  BUT, I am not falling for the "if Mickey can't do it who can mantra".  We hire the right guy (and maybe it is Mickey) and the recruits will come to NU. A lot can change with new coaches, but as a recruit I see very few spots as they are currently performing would be "safe".  A lot of opportunities for new recruits, transfer portal guys and guys on the team who were not "ruined" by the previous staff's BS. Even Bo the drunk monkey got us 9-10 wins a season.  That should be the norm and expectation moving forward.  And I liked Bo.  The names that we as fans are kicking around would have us there in short order IMHO.  Mickey has the guys believing they can win.  And that's the hardest part.  So a complete bought in staff could cobble together a good first  year.  Mickey wins 2 more and he ties Frost's best year here....3 if the wins have to be just MJ

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I'm wondering about Rhule- He did wonders at Baylor and maybe like Saban - he just isn't cut out for the NFL.   Not saying he's in Saban's league - but after his NFL stint, who would have figured that Saban would become GOAT in the college ranks??  Rhule could bring some NFL knowledge into the college game that perhaps recruits could look up to.  I'm convinced Urban isn't going to happen even if I wish it could.   Deion - I just don't know. Is Prime Time ready for prime time P5 football?

Rhule is one of my top choices but I have no clue about his recruiting ability. I’m guessing his NFL pedigree would attract talent the way Callahan did? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lo country said:

I think Mickey has done a great job with the incredible sh!t show Frost left him with.  BUT, I am not falling for the "if Mickey can't do it who can mantra".  We hire the right guy (and maybe it is Mickey) and the recruits will come to NU. A lot can change with new coaches, but as a recruit I see very few spots as they are currently performing would be "safe".  A lot of opportunities for new recruits, transfer portal guys and guys on the team who were not "ruined" by the previous staff's BS. Even Bo the drunk monkey got us 9-10 wins a season.  That should be the norm and expectation moving forward.  And I liked Bo.  The names that we as fans are kicking around would have us there in short order IMHO.  Mickey has the guys believing they can win.  And that's the hardest part.  So a complete bought in staff could cobble together a good first  year.  Mickey wins 2 more and he ties Frost's best year here....3 if the wins have to be just MJ

Not sure I ever recall Bo and drinking being an issue. His were anger “issues” and bosses hell bent on putting their own stamp on the program away from Osborne. Had they actually wanted Bo (and the program) to succeed, who knows where we would be today. 

Frost left the program with a lot of talent (heck of a lot more than Riley added), it was unfortunately the coaching and in-game decision making that were failures. 9-10 wins a year is going to turn into a bigger challenge with USC & UCLA joining the mix. 

10 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Not sure I ever recall Bo and drinking being an issue. His were anger “issues” and bosses hell bent on putting their own stamp on the program away from Osborne. Had they actually wanted Bo (and the program) to succeed, who knows where we would be today. 

Frost left the program with a lot of talent (heck of a lot more than Riley added), it was unfortunately the coaching and in-game decision making that were failures. 9-10 wins a year is going to turn into a bigger challenge with USC & UCLA joining the mix. 

Not accusing or insinuating Bo of alcohol issues at all. (I have heard nothing ever to make me think that)   After he was fired, those happy with his firing thought a drunk monkey could get us 9 wins.  My comment was in reference to that.  He was angry, but was a scapegoat as well IMHO.  As you said, better support and he might still be here.  

I think that Frost recruited  well, but the classes were decimated by guys who left, didn't pan out or were not developed.  It'll be a tougher conference with USC/UCLA in the B1G, but a poorly coached Frost team played Lincoln to a one score loss in Norman, Chip hasn't experienced the B1G, but he does appear to be changing things in UCLA in year 5.  The right coach hired and I think we are quickly in the hunt for winning the division.  Of course this depends on if they split USC and UCLA to east and west or completely change things again.  

I really haven't entertained the mickey talk too much, because it seems unlikely, but say we go 6-6 or 7-5. That would mean Mickey went 5-3 or 6-2 in the B1G. All I hear in regards to the coaching search is, we need someone that can win in the B1G...wouldn't that vault him above a Lance Leipold or Matt Campbell who are going to 4-5 5-4, 6-3 type coaches in the big 12 this year?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I never said I wanted him as HC. But he recruiting ability is undeniable.

still waiting for someone to provide names of candidates who can regularly land Top 15 since there are so many 

There are 15 to be exact.

• Haha 4
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I really haven't entertained the mickey talk too much, because it seems unlikely, but say we go 6-6 or 7-5. That would mean Mickey went 5-3 or 6-2 in the B1G. All I hear in regards to the coaching search is, we need someone that can win in the B1G...wouldn't that vault him above a Lance Leipold or Matt Campbell who are going to 4-5 5-4, 6-3 type coaches in the big 12 this year?

I would say so, but I just don’t see it happening.  With the teams remaining on the schedule, I’d be shocked if we won 2 more. Plus I think Trev will have someone by mid November. 

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I would say so, but I just don’t see it happening.  With the teams remaining on the schedule, I’d be shocked if we won 2 more. Plus I think Trev will have someone by mid November. 

You think a new coach will be named by mid-November or Trev will have his mind made up on his guy with an informal agreement done by mid-November?

• Plus1 1