Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I know what you meant. 

There's probably no coach who can bring in Top 15 classes to Nebraska on a regular basis. Maybe they can bring Top 15 classes in on a regular basis to the Top 15 current football factories, but some of those rankings won't pan out because it's an imperfect science. 

In other words, if Urban Meyer at Nebraska is competing with Ryan Day at Ohio State for a recruit, I wouldn't bet against Ryan Day.

Also, Urban Meyer is never coming here. You need to move on. 

But some really cool things happen on an irregular basis, as coaches scramble to find underrated recruits, system-style players, 18 year olds who are about to add 40 pounds, community college scrappers, and sometimes just getting lucky with a single game-changing quarterback. Sometimes they foil the big boys and jump up the rankings, or end up assembling good teams out of the 2 and 3 star guys.  

That's what every single coach we will be interviewing can do at Nebraska, because that's the job.

It's what coaches do at schools that are no more desirable than UNL.  

To put it another way, here are the rankings for Scott Frost's first four recruiting classes.:

Those rankings are useless if all the stars are at two positions. Can we start talking about recruiting realistically…. National rankings broken down by position?

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I'd be overjoyed with 8-4 up to 10-3. Anyone who isn't is just lying to themselves at this point.

We had that with Frank Solich and Bo Pelini and we fired both…great to see we are now happy to settle. How the mighty have fallen. With this attitude we might as well keep Mickey Joseph and save the state money.

• Fire 1
19 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

We had that with Frank Solich and Bo Pelini and we fired both…great to see we are now happy to settle. How the mighty have fallen. With this attitude we might as well keep Mickey Joseph and save the state money.

Time and place...you don't think the guy who replaces Saban and if they were to go 9-3, 8-4 for the next couple years would not be on the "hot seat" in Alabama?

And Bo...he obviously did not replace a "Saban"...but dude was off hinges and would have eventually done some increasingly negative s#!t

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

Time and place...you don't think the guy who replaces Saban and if they were to go 9-3, 8-4 for the next couple years would not be on the "hot seat" in Alabama?

And Bo...he obviously did not replace a "Saban"...but dude was off hinges and would have eventually done some increasingly negative s#!t

I am just saying that husker fans have endured two decades of a rollercoaster ride that has been anything but fun. If Michigan can be a top 5 team, why can’t Nebraska strive for that? We were the team of the decade in the 90s, it is not much to ask for us to be a top 10 team. If we are going to get a coach, we might as well get a coach who can get us back to relevance. I am tired of settling and I am sure many fans my age are also tired of settling for 7-5 and 6-6 seasons if even that thanks to the dark Frost era.

• Fire 1
7 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

There's no doubt that we've had a long series of missteps.

Looking back as a fan I think that I over-reacted to Frank Solich's struggles. We got accustomed to successes that he couldn't match. Some of those loses were pretty heartbreaking. To Texas I believe was one of them. A humiliating loss by our standards back then. I remember thinking that afternoon, this guy has got to go. I admired Frank for making hard decisions that those following him were reluctant to make reflecting on what transpired. Dismissing him was probably and error. I don't know how much his off the field matters were factored in.

Wasn't a fan of hiring Bo Pelini. I figured that there were better options. Maybe there weren't. He just couldn't get us over the top and it just seemed to me that he was losing traction. The losses to the better teams were getting worse and worse. Big defensive failures where defense was his strong suit. There was a feeling that we weren't going anywhere with a downward trajectory. Couple that with his temperament and contentious relationship with university officials and it was getting uglier all the time. Both "sides" likely hindered our success to some degree. Maybe if Bo wasn't as hot-headed he would've been a better decision maker. 

Callahan should've fired his DC buddy and wasn't a good fit. Riley wasn't a good match either however well meaning he was. And Scott, mainly he and his staff were under-qualified and underestimated what was required to be successful in a much different conference. Some of his struggles could've been attributable to timing.  We need to do a better job of identifying prospects instead of reacting to the latest blunder. 

Very influential people keep on throwing their money around playing roles in creating problems and then attempting to resolve them. That's my take anyway. Hopefully Trev Alberts knows what the hell he is doing and people will get out of his way and allow him to do the job he was hired to do. Saving the state money isn't an issue.

We share your frustration. We're in an awfully tough spot. It's going to take some real handy work and diligence to get us back to competing at a high level. 

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Sorry I didn’t spell it out in exact terms. Those who were involved in the conversation already knew what I meant: Top 15 classes on a regular basis. Who? 

Sorry to butt in to a conversation I apparently wasn't involved in....but apparently there isn't a good answer to your question except if we lose Mickey Joseph and his recruiting prowesss we might as well recommend to Ronnie Greene that the football program be dropped 

1 hour ago, HANC said:

Look for Rhule to be fired soon, thus increasing speculation about Rhule to Nebraska. Not saying that is what I want, but he nature of the beast says be prepared for those rumors to take off soon. I know he has already been mentioned, but as soon as he is jobless, it will ramp up big time 

I’d be ok with Rhule.

https://thespun.com/.amp/nfl/matt-rhule-fired-soon-report

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Sorry to butt in to a conversation I apparently wasn't involved in....but apparently there isn't a good answer to your question except if we lose Mickey Joseph and his recruiting prowesss we might as well recommend to Ronnie Greene that the football program be dropped 

What we basically said is that there are only a few select coaches who can lure elite talent (Top 15 classes, since data shows that’s what is needed to win championships) to Lincoln but we were told that’s not true… which is why I asked for names, to which nobody has responded. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I am just saying that husker fans have endured two decades of a rollercoaster ride that has been anything but fun. If Michigan can be a top 5 team, why can’t Nebraska strive for that? We were the team of the decade in the 90s, it is not much to ask for us to be a top 10 team. If we are going to get a coach, we might as well get a coach who can get us back to relevance. I am tired of settling and I am sure many fans my age are also tired of settling for 7-5 and 6-6 seasons if even that thanks to the dark Frost era.

I agree with your historical point of being a Husker fan.. but fact of the matter is that we wont , and no school for general purposes, go from middle of the road to playoff team in 1 year after a HC change...there is generally a 8-4 that follows a 5-7/6-6 campaign and possibly a 9-3/8-4 in the 2nd year after that...so a fan needs to understand progression towards satisfaction...not "we should win cause of Tom Osborne!!!." Basically, we should all embrace the process. Nebraska fans should (not talking about anyone on this forum, just a general point) appreciate hard work and focus over immediate gratification.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Pedro G said:

Red Silk, I first want to see if Joseph can pull out three more wins, the minimum perhaps for him to maybe be retained by Trev. I think the odds are probably against him. But let’s also see who he can get commitments from as the season continues on. That can be telling. But you tell me, Red Silk. Who can Trev hire realistically that could bring top 15 recruiting classes every year? I just not seeing that with those two Kansas coaches, for example. Who would be an elite recruiter then? To me this is just a conversation, not an argument with you. I truly want to know who you think we can hire that is an elite recruiter. 

18 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

What we basically said is that there are only a few select coaches who can lure elite talent (Top 15 classes, since data shows that’s what is needed to win championships) to Lincoln but we were told that’s not true… which is why I asked for names, to which nobody has responded. 

Asked and answered. There are 2 names on the list. But, alas, we’ve been informed by people who don’t want them, that neither is ever happening because apparently they all know something nobody else knows.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It's not a question that can be answered. Recruiting success at one school doesn't equal recruiting success at another. Conversely you can't say this coach or that coach won't be able to attract recruits to nebraska. All you can do is speculate and project what could happen.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1