Who should our next HC be?

15 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Rhule would be a grade-A hire. Pretty much any school looking for a new HC will be reaching out to him.

Agree. There are very few home run hires out there. He seems like he has the highest floor and the highest ceiling of "Available" candidates. If Rhule is interested in coaching instead of buying an island with his Panthers money, he would be a logical play to be considered if he is interested. 

15 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Rhule would be a grade-A hire. Pretty much any school looking for a new HC will be reaching out to him.

2 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

This can't be +1ed enough. The most educated and genius football minds miss, more often than not, on hires. At every level.

Our heads would explode if/when we hire some random dude from _____ (fill in the blank state) who's not even at the best program in the state with a 34-24 overall record.

Apparently there's more to it than just wins and losses. Seems like Trev is approaching it right.

I hope coach X is not Maryland's Locksley.  I heard that over 4 weeks ago and posted as such.  Campbell was the "guy" late last season and it appeared we may have had a soft verbal- but stayed with SF.  What makes me nervous is how quiet it is down there from my sources (they are not the ones that said Locksley) and I have been told we already have our person- and blessed by Mickey.  Time will tell and we will see.  Either way- everyone says trust Trev and the decision he makes.

• Haha 1

I always felt if we didn't get Meyer just stick with Mickey...he would do the gig for half the price which gives him full go on getting the best assistants in the conference. Kids like him a lot & he can recruit. Quit pu&&yfooting and paying half a$$ assistants. Go pay a DC $2m/year. Get the best OL/DL coach. Mick and the rest can get the athletes. Wins will come. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

11 minutes ago, Vizsla1 said:

I hope coach X is not Maryland's Locksley.  I heard that over 4 weeks ago and posted as such.  Campbell was the "guy" late last season and it appeared we may have had a soft verbal- but stayed with SF.  What makes me nervous is how quiet it is down there from my sources (they are not the ones that said Locksley) and I have been told we already have our person- and blessed by Mickey.  Time will tell and we will see.  Either way- everyone says trust Trev and the decision he makes.

Great sign if true. Most of the names we've seen thrown around could be considered lateral moves (or worse) if you're Mickey. Up-and-comer, prospect, roll of the dice names like Campbell, Leipold, Klieman, Aranda, etc. If Mickey's on board, that would indicate it's someone with some skins on the wall who he respects and wants to continue coaching and learning under. I just don't see Mickey blessing someone who's not a pretty significant upgrade over himself and why would he? My money is still on Urban or Deion (flame away) if what you're saying is true. Rhule? Maybe but not even sure about him, honestly.

7 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Great sign if true. Most of the names we've seen thrown around could be considered lateral moves (or worse) if you're Mickey. Up-and-comer, prospect, roll of the dice names like Campbell, Leipold, Klieman, Aranda, etc. If Mickey's on board, that would indicate it's someone with some skins on the wall who he respects and wants to continue coaching and learning under. I just don't see Mickey blessing someone who's not a pretty significant upgrade over himself and why would he? My money is still on Urban or Deion (flame away) if what you're saying is true. Rhule? Maybe but not even sure about him, honestly.

Given this scenario, Mickey and Busch have a great working relationship with Aranda so I can see that being plausible. I disagree about a lateral move with Campbell, Leipold, and Klieman. Whether we like them or not, they are all experienced head coaches who have developed players as coordinators and head coaches in less than ideal conditions. Speaking of Leipold,  has been a HC for a long time and Mickey would be able to learn a ton with him in the mix. He has a lot of Bill Snyder in him, no nonsense approach. Leipold isn't my #1, but I think he would do well here especially if Mickey is staying around. How can you not be sure of Rhule? We are Nebraska who hasn't been relevant for 20+ years. It would be a huge hit if Rhule considers coaching here. 

Thinking about a three-prong test for a coach candidate and thought of these factors as the biggest to look at, at least for starters.

1. How are they vs the unranked. This is the stat that made TO... well, TO. He almost never lost to the unranked.

2. How are they after a loss or bye. Both are momentum killers. It's hard to maintain positive momentum through a bye week and can be difficult to get the team going again after a tough close loss or a blowout. Bo was actually pretty good at this. He gave us a master class in 2012 going on the run to Indy.

3. How are they against the ranked and elite teams? It's hard to win against ranked teams and almost impossible against elite teams. So, the main test here is to be competitive. If you can beat at top 25 team, that's big. A top 10 team, that's huge. A .500 record against the ranked would be more that acceptable. But compete. Stay in the game and don't get boat raced. Bo was awful at this one. He got pounded on by a lot of teams.

When you get beyond these things, then you can talk to the candidate about how they're going to recruit and who they had in mind for assistants and the specifics of the plan. 

But if a coach loses against the unranked, can't bounce back from losses and loses after byes, and is not very competitive against the ranked at the current job, what makes us think they will do anything different at Nebraska?

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
46 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

Given this scenario, Mickey and Busch have a great working relationship with Aranda so I can see that being plausible. I disagree about a lateral move with Campbell, Leipold, and Klieman. Whether we like them or not, they are all experienced head coaches who have developed players as coordinators and head coaches in less than ideal conditions. Speaking of Leipold,  has been a HC for a long time and Mickey would be able to learn a ton with him in the mix. He has a lot of Bill Snyder in him, no nonsense approach. Leipold isn't my #1, but I think he would do well here especially if Mickey is staying around. How can you not be sure of Rhule? We are Nebraska who hasn't been relevant for 20+ years. It would be a huge hit if Rhule considers coaching here. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all those guys aren't an upgrade literally. They all most certainly are, on paper anyway. I'm saying if I'm Mickey, I may not see it that way...at least not to the extent of wanting to stick around and learn under them. I mean, sure they've all done pretty good things and he could probably stick around and learn under them. But it's not like they're a bunch of coaching legends with serious skins on the wall that he'd be crazy not to stick around and work under. Maybe I'm reading too much into it and Mickey would see it differently, I don't know. But, when I hear Trev already has his guy and Mickey's on board, I just assume it's a significant upgrade.

And I wasn't saying I'm not sure on Rhule (or Leipold) as a coach, although he's never beat a ranked opponent and his recruiting classes were fairly poor. I was saying I'm not sure if Mickey would see either of them as significant enough upgrades to give his blessing to. Aranda, sure great working relationship, so maybe you're right. But if I'm Mickey, I can make a reeeeeeally strong case that I'm the next Aranda, so I don't see it at all.

I'm probably just reading into it what I want to hear, which is the case with a lot of us. That said, I hope to God it's not Campbell or Aranda. Give me Mickey over either of those...all...day...long, and I'm far from being a "keep Mickey" proponent.

• Oh Yeah! 1

It seems Rhule is sitting in a sweet spot to me. With his guaranteed income that frees up more resources for assistants. He gets paid handsomely either way and has the option of getting a great staff to boot. Then as his pay with the Panthers comes to a close, his salary can be sweetened as time progresses.

I wouldn’t assume that Rhule will sit out for awhile to kick back and recharge. He’s sitting in a very good spot now. His opportunities in college now significantly exceed what they once were in my opinion. If you’re a fan of Matt Rhule and are pulling for him there’s cause for optimism. 

By assembling a top level staff that are high caliber developers that helps him draw in better recruits. It all starts at the line of scrimmage. Make that a priority. 

24 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all those guys aren't an upgrade literally. They all most certainly are, on paper anyway. I'm saying if I'm Mickey, I may not see it that way...at least not to the extent of wanting to stick around and learn under them. I mean, sure they've all done pretty good things and he could probably stick around and learn under them. But it's not like they're a bunch of coaching legends with serious skins on the wall that he'd be crazy not to stick around and work under. Maybe I'm reading too much into it and Mickey would see it differently, I don't know. But, when I hear Trev already has his guy and Mickey's on board, I just assume it's a significant upgrade.

And I wasn't saying I'm not sure on Rhule (or Leipold) as a coach, although he's never beat a ranked opponent and his recruiting classes were fairly poor. I was saying I'm not sure if Mickey would see either of them as significant enough upgrades to give his blessing to. Aranda, sure great working relationship, so maybe you're right. But if I'm Mickey, I can make a reeeeeeally strong case that I'm the next Aranda, so I don't see it at all.

I'm probably just reading into it what I want to hear, which is the case with a lot of us. That said, I hope to God it's not Campbell or Aranda. Give me Mickey over either of those...all...day...long, and I'm far from being a "keep Mickey" proponent.

Understood. Found this nugget on 247 sports by Chris Hummer in regard to Rhule and his player development. You mentioned his recruiting classes above so wanted to bring to light what he did with less:

"Few coaches have developed like Rhule, and you can see that success peppered across the NFL Draft.

Six Owls were selected while Rhule was the program’s head coach. Six more of his former recruits were drafted in the two years after Rhule departed. That’s 12 draft picks in four years. Temple produced total 12 draft picks between 1997-2015. The Owls also haven’t had a non-Rhule recruit drafted since.

His results at Baylor were nearly as impressive.

Baylor had the seventh-most players drafted of any college in the 2022 NFL Draft. Those like Tyquan Thornton and Kalon Barnes lit up the combine with their testing times. All six of them were Rhule evaluations and recruits.

Given his recruiting pools and circumstances, few, if any, college coaches have done a better job evaluating and developing than Rhule over the last decade."

42 minutes ago, M.A. said:

It seems Rhule is sitting in a sweet spot to me. With his guaranteed income that frees up more resources for assistants. He gets paid handsomely either way and has the option of getting a great staff to boot. Then as his pay with the Panthers comes to a close, his salary can be sweetened as time progresses.

I wouldn’t assume that Rhule will sit out for awhile to kick back and recharge. He’s sitting in a very good spot now. His opportunities in college now significantly exceed what they once were in my opinion. If you’re a fan of Matt Rhule and are pulling for him there’s cause for optimism. 

By assembling a top level staff that are high caliber developers that helps him draw in better recruits. It all starts at the line of scrimmage. Make that a priority. 

I don’t think that’s how this works. Pretty sure the Panther money goes away the minute he takes another coaching job. Or am I misreading your post?

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

Understood. Found this nugget on 247 sports by Chris Hummer in regard to Rhule and his player development. You mentioned his recruiting classes above so wanted to bring to light what he did with less:

"Few coaches have developed like Rhule, and you can see that success peppered across the NFL Draft.

Six Owls were selected while Rhule was the program’s head coach. Six more of his former recruits were drafted in the two years after Rhule departed. That’s 12 draft picks in four years. Temple produced total 12 draft picks between 1997-2015. The Owls also haven’t had a non-Rhule recruit drafted since.

His results at Baylor were nearly as impressive.

Baylor had the seventh-most players drafted of any college in the 2022 NFL Draft. Those like Tyquan Thornton and Kalon Barnes lit up the combine with their testing times. All six of them were Rhule evaluations and recruits.

Given his recruiting pools and circumstances, few, if any, college coaches have done a better job evaluating and developing than Rhule over the last decade."

Yeah, I did see that about NFL talent. It’s pretty damn impressive. I was very close to that whole Baylor situation (living in Dallas) and Rhule was very highly regarded through that whole thing. What he did with that situation was pretty magical. I don’t love the fact that he’s never beat a ranked team, and I think his recruiting classes will have to improve (you need to be able to recruit and develop to win championships) to get to the elite level. But he’s got enough other really strong points to offset all that. He’s going to get a top gig if he wants it and I’d be great with him at Nebraska. He’s pretty squarely in my top 3. Texas fans are worried OU will fire Venables and hire Rhule if that tells you anything.

1 hour ago, tmfr15 said:

Thinking about a three-prong test for a coach candidate and thought of these factors as the biggest to look at, at least for starters.

1. How are they vs the unranked. This is the stat that made TO... well, TO. He almost never lost to the unranked.

2. How are they after a loss or bye. Both are momentum killers. It's hard to maintain positive momentum through a bye week and can be difficult to get the team going again after a tough close loss or a blowout. Bo was actually pretty good at this. He gave us a master class in 2012 going on the run to Indy.

3. How are they against the ranked and elite teams? It's hard to win against ranked teams and almost impossible against elite teams. So, the main test here is to be competitive. If you can beat at top 25 team, that's big. A top 10 team, that's huge. A .500 record against the ranked would be more that acceptable. But compete. Stay in the game and don't get boat raced. Bo was awful at this one. He got pounded on by a lot of teams.

When you get beyond these things, then you can talk to the candidate about how they're going to recruit and who they had in mind for assistants and the specifics of the plan. 

But if a coach loses against the unranked, can't bounce back from losses and loses after byes, and is not very competitive against the ranked at the current job, what makes us think they will do anything different at Nebraska?

So we want a coach that never loses to unranked opponents and wins half the time against ranked teams?  So we're looking for a perennial 11-win P5 coach.  Once we find this guy, then we can grill him about his assistants and recruiting philosophy.  And if he WOWs us, we put him on the short list for a 2nd interview and go from there.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

So we want a coach that never loses to unranked opponents and wins half the time against ranked teams?  So we're looking for a perennial 11-win P5 coach.  Once we find this guy, then we can grill him about his assistants and recruiting philosophy.  And if he WOWs us, we put him on the short list for a 2nd interview and go from there.

So we want Bo Pelini

• Oh Yeah! 1