Who should our next HC be?

4 hours ago, Vizsla1 said:

I hope coach X is not Maryland's Locksley.  I heard that over 4 weeks ago and posted as such.  Campbell was the "guy" late last season and it appeared we may have had a soft verbal- but stayed with SF.  What makes me nervous is how quiet it is down there from my sources (they are not the ones that said Locksley) and I have been told we already have our person- and blessed by Mickey.  Time will tell and we will see.  Either way- everyone says trust Trev and the decision he makes.

I actually wouldn't hate Locksley if he gets a good staff. He wouldn't be my first choice, but he can put up points on offense and man can he recruit.

If it is someone locked in already I think the two choices that are realistic for us to land this early and that would be home runs for me are Whittingham and Malzahn. 

55 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I don't think it really matters because whatever that number is, he's getting it either way.

I’d doubt that we’re going to shell out $10M for Rhule to start. There’s added value with hiring him as opposed to other options. 

We aren’t paying a buyout. We’d potentially be gaining $3-4M a year that could be used toward assistants. Initially. Or, $12-16M over the course of four years. With respect to what he’s owed from the Carolina Panthers.

Instead of cost, it’s a hidden asset. Carolina is essentially helping bolster our assistant budget or, offsetting the cost of Frost’s dismissal.

I don’t think we’re hiring under $6M and I doubt it’s much over $8M maximum. 

FBS+NFL winning percentages of various coaches in ascending order of coaches in the rumor mill with several added by me:

Matt Rhule - 45.3%

Lance Leipold - 50%

Dave Clawson - 52.4%

Bill O'Brien - 53.1%

Mark Stoops - 53.4%

Hugh Freeze - 57.6%

Dave Aranda - 58.6%

Matt Campbell - 60.6%

Lane Kiffen - 60.8%

Bronco Mendenhall - 62.5%

Dan Mullen - 62.8%

Dave Doeren - 63%

Clay Helton - 64.5%

Jamie Chadwell - 65.5%

David Shaw - 65.7%

Kyle Whittingham - 67.1%

Gus Malzahn - 67.9%

Luke Fickell - 72%

Chris Petersen - 79.5%

Urban Meyer - 81.5%

It's inexcusable for Trev not to be courting Meyer/Petersen, with Fickell as the 3rd option.  The fact that he's obsessed with sub 60 coaches makes me assume Trev is Eichorst in an Alberts mask.  I won't believe anything else until proven wrong by Trev and only Trev.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

FBS+NFL winning percentages of various coaches in ascending order of coaches in the rumor mill with several added by me:

Matt Rhule - 45.3%

Lance Leipold - 50%

Dave Clawson - 52.4%

Bill O'Brien - 53.1%

Mark Stoops - 53.4%

Hugh Freeze - 57.6%

Dave Aranda - 58.6%

Matt Campbell - 60.6%

Lane Kiffen - 60.8%

Dan Mullen - 62.8%

Dave Doeren - 63%

Clay Helton - 64.5%

Jamie Chadwell - 65.5%

David Shaw - 65.7%

Kyle Whittingham - 67.1%

Gus Malzahn - 67.9%

Luke Fickell - 72%

Chris Petersen - 79.5%

Urban Meyer - 81.5%

It's inexcusable for Trev not to be courting Meyer/Petersen, with Fickell as the 3rd option.  The fact that he's obsessed with sub 60 coaches makes me assume Trev is Eichorst in an Alberts mask.  I won't believe anything else until proven wrong by Trev and only Trev.

I agree with your assessment on the coaches, but what makes you think hes only looking at the sub 60s

• TBH 1
29 minutes ago, M.A. said:

I’d doubt that we’re going to shell out $10M for Rhule to start. There’s added value with hiring him as opposed to other options. 

We aren’t paying a buyout. We’d potentially be gaining $3-4M a year that could be used toward assistants. Initially. Or, $12-16M over the course of four years. With respect to what he’s owed from the Carolina Panthers.

Instead of cost, it’s a hidden asset. Carolina is essentially helping bolster our assistant budget or, offsetting the cost of Frost’s dismissal.

I don’t think we’re hiring under $6M and I doubt it’s much over $8M maximum. 

Good point. Funny...my top 3 choices have (essentially) no buyout. And I'm in the "we need to spend whatever it takes to get the right guy" camp. My top 3 choices are also all already set for life financially, so, there's that.

18 minutes ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

Matt Rhule - 45.3%

Lance Leipold - 50%

Dave Clawson - 52.4%

Bill O'Brien - 53.1%

Mark Stoops - 53.4%

Hugh Freeze - 57.6%

Dave Aranda - 58.6%

Matt Campbell - 60.6%

Lane Kiffen - 60.8%

Dan Mullen - 62.8%

Dave Doeren - 63%

Clay Helton - 64.5%

Jamie Chadwell - 65.5%

David Shaw - 65.7%

Kyle Whittingham - 67.1%

Gus Malzahn - 67.9%

Luke Fickell - 72%

Chris Petersen - 79.5%

Urban Meyer - 81.5%

Face Palm GIF by Reactions | Gfycat

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
28 minutes ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

Matt Rhule - 45.3%

Lance Leipold - 50%

Dave Clawson - 52.4%

Bill O'Brien - 53.1%

Mark Stoops - 53.4%

Hugh Freeze - 57.6%

Dave Aranda - 58.6%

Matt Campbell - 60.6%

Lane Kiffen - 60.8%

Dan Mullen - 62.8%

Dave Doeren - 63%

Clay Helton - 64.5%

Jamie Chadwell - 65.5%

David Shaw - 65.7%

Kyle Whittingham - 67.1%

Gus Malzahn - 67.9%

Luke Fickell - 72%

Chris Petersen - 79.5%

Urban Meyer - 81.5%

But who cares about NFL percentages again?