Who should our next HC be?

1 minute ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Well fine, but that's just like, your opinion man :D

Backlash from traditional fans? That's a minor segment. Seemed to me that Urban was the run-away fan favorite when he was in town for the OU game. And again, Deion was getting as much or more love from the national media along with a large segment of the fanbase on social media, and even here to some extent. Just because a few outspoken people on this board don't want coach X for whatever reason, don't be fooled into thinking that's the real world norm outside of here. Plus, Trev already said he wasn't going to necessarily hire someone who wins the podium.

Urban would cost a pretty penny. Deion currently makes $300K per year plus performance bonuses and he donates half of that back to the school for upgrades. Deion would probably be the least expensive option we could hire by a lot. He's not about the money. Plus, again, Trev said resources wouldn't be a factor in hiring the next coach so I don't really think price tag is relevant.

As far as I'm concerned, they're both still on the table until I hear otherwise.

I don't think Deion will leave where he is at until he can coach at Florida St which I think is inevitable. 

1 hour ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Thats a long post to not admit your examples were wrong. The original thread that you replied to was about why Leipold isnt recruiting well yet. And the point was the coaches have to have success then recruit well. Urban Meyer had on field success and then joined a school that was already getting top 10 classes before getting good recruiting rankings. I'm not against us hiring Deion, but he is an outlier. He really is just a crazy recruiter but he is a 1 of 1. Petersen's best class was 15th well into his tenure at Washington after a lot of on field success.

Missed the context of the post, my apologies. Agree that guys like Liepold (and several others) will likely need to be successful before they can get elite recruits.

Yes you are definitely right that a name like Deion or Urban could come in and get a good class right away, I dont think that works with many other coaches if any. Petersen I dont think kids would know anything about at this point i really doubt he gets much of a bump over anyone else.

That was exactly my point. And as long as both of those guys are on the table (and they are as far as I know), why not try to hire them and get the instant bump plus a coach that has shown they can rebuild/develop/etc? As I stated, if you want to eliminate those guys, that's fine, then you're most certainly into hoping your guy can develop sub-par recruits into winners and that results in better recruiting down the road.

And you might be right about Chris Petersen. I'd think having been to the CFP and with the P5 success he's already had, he might give us a bump, but I'm not sure about that either. I don't think we get him, but I think he'd be pretty strong across the board if we did.

52 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Nick Saban took over Alabama in 2007.  They went 12-2 in his second year and 14-0 in his third.  Their last four recruiting classes when he took over were #18, #17, #16, and #17.  He built that success by out-performing the talent that he had.  Although he also had a resume that he already had a national championship so that helped him recruit better more quickly than others could.

Tennessee's last four recruiting classes are #13, #11, #21 and #15.  That's not bad but they are significantly out-performing their recruiting rankings.  Interesting note for those in the "they should be seeing better recruits because of their success" crowd, they are currently #14 in the class rankings - no better than they have been.

Georgia has always recruited fairly well because they are in a talent-rich state.  But their last four classes when Kirby took over were #8, #8, #5 and #11.  Their last three classes have been #3, #3 and #2.  They've gotten better recruits after they started winning more.

So, Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia were collectively averaging top 15 recruiting rankings before they started winning...and that somehow proves that you have to win first before you can recruit?

I think you go for the grand slam hire. Go for Urban, Kiffin, Rhule, Aranda, but if your grand slam target doesn't hit, I am completely fine with hiring Joseph. Why not? I have enjoyed watching this team play under Joseph, except for the Oklahoma game, but the progress is tangible. I would love to see what this team could look like in 2-3 years under MJ with MJ's staff and recruiting and developing. 

If he doesn't work out, oh well, he doesn't work out, but if I have to pick between a Campbell or Joseph, I am taking Joseph. Lance is a good story this year, but Frost was an amazing story the year we hired him. MJ's coaching ties could also get him to go and get some of those 2019 LSU coaches to come coach. Is Joe Brady going to be out at Carolina too? Because he'd be a great OC. 

Joseph can not do worse than what Frost or Riley did to this program. So if we can't get the big name proven successful hire, I would say go with Joseph and let him try and build this thing up because so far in his short amount of time he has made drastic improvements and may be the best thing to have happened to this program since I don't know when.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

Hypothetical if Mickey is retained he will overhaul the staff...I think Trev would open the checkbook for Mickey to bring in the best coaches to work with him. 

As we watch that process unfold my main question might stem from impatience as we suffer through another ill-trained team with limited talent in the Big Ten (watching the SEC Alabama at Tennessee game yesterday re-opened my eyes as to where we're not as an elite football program, and for how long we've not been there).  And that questions is, how much longer until we're there?  My guesses about that all hinge on recruiting and then development, and that takes a while.  The guys coming back aren't it.

50 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

Hypothetical if Mickey is retained he will overhaul the staff, but I think will be able to keep most of the kids on the roster who are coming back. I heard him talk in an interview a week or so ago about recruiting and developing being the lifeblood of a program over the X's and O's, so guessing he will surround himself with elite recruiters and developers of young men. By elite recruiters, its not always about Rival rankings. Justin Jefferson from the Vikings was a 2* when Mickey recruited him to LSU. Its about identifying talent and developing it. Some people on this board don't like to hear that. Coming from a championship team at LSU in 2019, I would not be at all surprised if he brings back some coaches from that staff and other high level coaches across the country to join the staff. I have no doubts Busch would stay on in some capacity and guessing Applewhite as well. I think Trev would open the checkbook for Mickey to bring in the best coaches to work with him. 

Open the checkbook for a big time OC and given Wisconsin's troubles and depending on what his future holds, go get Leonhard to be the DC. That could be a really tough staff.

2 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I think you go for the grand slam hire. Go for Urban, Kiffin, Rhule, Aranda, but if your grand slam target doesn't hit, I am completely fine with hiring Joseph. Why not? I have enjoyed watching this team play under Joseph, except for the Oklahoma game, but the progress is tangible. I would love to see what this team could look like in 2-3 years under MJ with MJ's staff and recruiting and developing. 

If he doesn't work out, oh well, he doesn't work out, but if I have to pick between a Campbell or Joseph, I am taking Joseph. Lance is a good story this year, but Frost was an amazing story the year we hired him. MJ's coaching ties could also get him to go and get some of those 2019 LSU coaches to come coach. Is Joe Brady going to be out at Carolina too? Because he'd be a great OC. 

Joseph can not do worse than what Frost or Riley did to this program. So if we can't get the big name proven successful hire, I would say go with Joseph and let him try and build this thing up because so far in his short amount of time he has made drastic improvements and may be the best thing to have happened to this program since I don't know when.

Can you please explain how Aranda is a "grand slam hire."

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Can you please explain how Aranda is a "grand slam hire."

This year his Baylor team hasn't lived up to his previous success, but he won a conference championship last year with Baylor. He's a very good coach who is current. But you could substitute Aranda's name with Chris Petersen's. 

• Fire 1
11 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

This year his Baylor team hasn't lived up to his previous success, but he won a conference championship last year with Baylor. He's a very good coach who is current. But you could substitute Aranda's name with Chris Petersen's. 

Yeah, I don't even think Aranda would be in my top 10, let alone a grand slam. His one decent year was with Rhule's players and happened when Texas and OU were both down (first year for Sark and Riley had a foot out the door). Petersen, I would agree with. He's definitely top 5 for me. I had sort of written him off initially as he seems to be such a West Coast guy and has given no indication he's wanting to go back to coaching. But who knows, maybe he is.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Well fine, but that's just like, your opinion man :D

Backlash from traditional fans? That's a minor segment. Seemed to me that Urban was the run-away fan favorite when he was in town for the OU game. And again, Deion was getting as much or more love from the national media along with a large segment of the fanbase on social media, and even here to some extent. Just because a few outspoken people on this board don't want coach X for whatever reason, don't be fooled into thinking that's the real world norm outside of here. Plus, Trev already said he wasn't going to necessarily hire someone who wins the podium.

Urban would cost a pretty penny. Deion currently makes $300K per year plus performance bonuses and he donates half of that back to the school for upgrades. Deion would probably be the least expensive option we could hire by a lot. He's not about the money. Plus, again, Trev said resources wouldn't be a factor in hiring the next coach so I don't really think price tag is relevant.

As far as I'm concerned, they're both still on the table until I hear otherwise.

I admire your optimism, and I hope you're right.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, huskerpower22 said:

I think Trev would open the checkbook for Mickey to bring in the best coaches to work with him. 

19 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Open the checkbook for a big time OC and given Wisconsin's troubles and depending on what his future holds, go get Leonhard to be the DC. That could be a really tough staff.

Trev said earlier this week that he's opening the checkbook for staff. I believe he said something like "we'll have the largest budget in the country for staff" or something like that. Maybe that means he's keeping Mickey and he'll buy him enough support to make up for his lack of experience...or maybe it means he's going for the grand slam hire as that would most certainly be a stipulation for any of them to want to come to Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, huskerpower22 said:

Hypothetical if Mickey is retained he will overhaul the staff, but I think will be able to keep most of the kids on the roster who are coming back. I heard him talk in an interview a week or so ago about recruiting and developing being the lifeblood of a program over the X's and O's, so guessing he will surround himself with elite recruiters and developers of young men. By elite recruiters, its not always about Rival rankings. Justin Jefferson from the Vikings was a 2* when Mickey recruited him to LSU. Its about identifying talent and developing it. Some people on this board don't like to hear that. Coming from a championship team at LSU in 2019, I would not be at all surprised if he brings back some coaches from that staff and other high level coaches across the country to join the staff. I have no doubts Busch would stay on in some capacity and guessing Applewhite as well. I think Trev would open the checkbook for Mickey to bring in the best coaches to work with him. 

Hearing Mickey talk his model is that championship LSU team, which is a great model. That team had elite talent and was physical. An LSU type model in the B1G west would be very desirable and win a lot of games. 

• Fire 1