Who should our next HC be?

2 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Based on what? Just curious. Or is this just a creative way of saying "I don't want either of those guys"

I think either of them would do fine.  I don't really believe that Prime would leave the South.  There is still a perception that no one can recruit to Nebraska.  I don't see him wanting anything to do with the buttoned up atmosphere of the B1G or the Huskers.  I really enjoyed watching him as a player.  I think it would be interesting to see him as a coach here.  I just don't think he would even consider it.

Urb, if he ever coaches again, would want a place surrounded by recruits.  I think they only place he would consider in the North at this point would be ND because it is a national brand.

I think these two guys would be reaches.  I am not sure if Trev would even consider Prime.  

37 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Based on what? Just curious. Or is this just a creative way of saying "I don't want either of those guys"

This is creative way for a couple guys and a sock puppet to keep a thread going.

Are we still talking about Urban or Sanders coming here?

• Plus1 3
21 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I think either of them would do fine.  I don't really believe that Prime would leave the South.  There is still a perception that no one can recruit to Nebraska.  I don't see him wanting anything to do with the buttoned up atmosphere of the B1G or the Huskers.  I really enjoyed watching him as a player.  I think it would be interesting to see him as a coach here.  I just don't think he would even consider it.

Urb, if he ever coaches again, would want a place surrounded by recruits.  I think they only place he would consider in the North at this point would be ND because it is a national brand.

I think these two guys would be reaches.  I am not sure if Trev would even consider Prime.  

Sorry, but I just don't see it that way. I do think one question mark to Deion coming is the whole getting him out of the South thing. I think Deion thinks he's ready to make the jump to the next level and that's definitely what he wants to do. If we're the best P5 offering, a blue blood with top resources, I don't see him turning it down. He's spent plenty of time in the North throughout his career. And he's handled plenty of "buttoned up atmospheres" throughout his career.

On Urban, yes the one question mark to him coming is whether he wants to coach again which I don't think anyone really knows. But again, I think NU will be the best team offering if he does want to. ND isn't firing Freeman yet. The way Urban was pandering to us when OU was in town, it almost sounded like he was interviewing for the job. Hell, he was selling the program better than we have.

7 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

This is creative way for a couple guys and a sock puppet to keep a thread going.

Are we still talking about Urban or Sanders coming here?

A couple guys are keeping a 311 page thread going?

And yes, two of the top candidates are going to get talked about in the new coach thread. Deal with it.

For someone with over 5K posts, you sure don't have a very good understanding of how things work.

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1
8 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

And yes, two of the top candidates are going to get talked about in the new coach thread. Deal with it.

For someone with over 5K posts, you sure don't have a very good understanding of how things work.

Top 2...:lol:....I bet Trev Alberts occasionally looks at these threads and laughs. The Baylor and Army coaches are still in my top 2 of guys who aren't on campus.

• Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

So we are talking about who may nor want to coach again (national reporter has tweeted about it) and a coach who has 3 yrs at an fcs school and 7 yrs ( guesstimating based off of wiki) as his entire resume of coaching experience? These are our best, well only according to some, options at being any good again? Going off memory here, the 5* coach prime pulled got a 6 or 7 figure NIL deal, so are "our" collectives going to be forking out 40-50 million a year to keep the recruits coming to Lincoln and staying? Or is coach prime's name and resume good enough to bring them? I haven't seen a list, nor tried looking for one, of players he' put in the league so what exactly is coach prime going to be selling this young men on? As for urban, yes he has great name recognition but he also has some public events that other coaches will use against him. It isn't just what he is selling, it is what the other coaches are selling. So those kids he's trying to bring in will be reminded of his nfl experience (referring to his kicker bestie) and at the same time they'll be selling kids they put in the league and their school is closer.

I get both urban and coach prime are attractive names but they still have unknowns attaches to them just like every other choice.

• Plus1 2
20 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Yeah but look how long it took. It wasn't til Year 8 at Wake that they had a breakout season. I don't think Nebraska has that much patience. 

He has had winning seasons at Wake since 2016 and as I've repeatedly tried to explain it is a damn tough place to win at, everyone in their con is working with significantly more. Last guy to do anything there was wanted by TO, things hit a snag because Grobe wanted to bring his own guys in, and Grobe was coaching in a considerably inferior ACC to now. Nebraska is WAY easier to turn around. We can provide VASTLY superior facilities, a VASTLY superior stadium , VASTLY more money for his staffing and recruiting needs, and VASTLY more NIL money to get and keep talent here. Not to mention the transfer portal makes things easier now. Patience wouldn't be needed. 

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, desertshox said:

So we are talking about who may nor want to coach again (national reporter has tweeted about it) and a coach who has 3 yrs at an fcs school and 7 yrs ( guesstimating based off of wiki) as his entire resume of coaching experience? These are our best, well only according to some, options at being any good again? Going off memory here, the 5* coach prime pulled got a 6 or 7 figure NIL deal, so are "our" collectives going to be forking out 40-50 million a year to keep the recruits coming to Lincoln and staying? Or is coach prime's name and resume good enough to bring them? I haven't seen a list, nor tried looking for one, of players he' put in the league so what exactly is coach prime going to be selling this young men on? As for urban, yes he has great name recognition but he also has some public events that other coaches will use against him. It isn't just what he is selling, it is what the other coaches are selling. So those kids he's trying to bring in will be reminded of his nfl experience (referring to his kicker bestie) and at the same time they'll be selling kids they put in the league and their school is closer.

I get both urban and coach prime are attractive names but they still have unknowns attaches to them just like every other choice.

Yeah, I haven't denied both Urban's and Deion's question marks. They each have them just like every other choice. I'm simply pointing out that they are two of the top candidates (among several others), so they are going to be discussed, both here and outside of here.

10 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Deion Sanders recruited a top player away from Alabama by convincing him to "play for his people" at an HBCU against other HBCUs. Doing that and playing against that competition has very little correlation to coaching a P5 team. There's no guarantee he can recruit anyone to Nebraska any better than another coach can.
Given the choice between Sanders and Joseph, I'm sticking with Joseph.

If we're going with a guy of questionable resume I also would rather go with Mickey. When it comes to bringing kids to Nebraska I think he'd do fairly comparably to Neon. Mickey knows the landscape and culture here. Mickey would put in the ridiculous hours needed that Frost wouldn't. I like Mickey's demeanor and how he interacts with the kids, knows when to be supportive and when to be tough. Big thing I would want to know about Mick is who his staff would be, that's absolutely huge. There are several reasonable options I'd take before Mickey but with the right staff I can see Mickey working. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I'm simply pointing out that they are two of the top candidates

I doubt that very seriously....unless you're just talking about lists and speculation from fans that really don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

I doubt they are at the top of Trev's list.  And, that's the only one that matters.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

At the end of the day we can all pine for Urban or Prime or Kiffen or Rhule but, you should all know, it's going to be like Christmas 1990, hoping Santa is bringing you a new Nintendo but, Christmas morning you open up a large box of socks.

Oh look, a large wrapped box of Dabo! Hooray! Ope, nope, looks like we actually hired Brian Ferentz this time around.. All you kids get to work trying to spin this as a positive, now. Merry Christmas to all!!

• Haha 3
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I doubt that very seriously....unless you're just talking about lists and speculation from fans that really don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

I doubt they are at the top of Trev's list.  And, that's the only one that matters.

Yes, talking about lists and speculation from fans, which is what this entire thread is. No question Urban and Deion have as good (or better) resumes as other names being discussed, and both seem as available (or more) as other names being discussed. So, they are undoubtedly two of the top candidates which will be discussed by fans on message boards.

As far as being two of Trev's top choices, I have no idea who those are. Apparently nobody does. It's as likely to include Meyer and Sanders as it is to include Campbell and Joseph.

• Haha 2
23 minutes ago, Danimal said:

If we're going with a guy of questionable resume I also would rather go with Mickey

Well, I guess you want Mickey then because every realistic candidate has a questionable resume.

When it comes to bringing kids to Nebraska I think he'd do fairly comparably to Neon.

Simple common sense would say otherwise. Hypothetically, you're a big time recruit and you have time for one meeting...Deion Sanders or Mickey Joseph. 99% of kids are taking Deion's meeting. Sorry, but to think otherwise is just reaching.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1