Who should our next HC be?

6 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

So, now we aren't using past success as proof of how a candidate will likely perform at NU? Guess we better shut this thread down then because that's all it's been for over 300 pages.

well if you were actually saying coach urban prime "will likely" recruit better instead of saying he "will" recruit better. you're not using past success to say how he/she/they "will likely perform" you are using past success saying it will happen.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

28 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

He would need help with the d though.  Whose he got who can lock down good defence players

Besides himself (undoubtedly one of the best DB recruiters in the country), here's a look at a couple guys from his defensive staff..

DC - Dennis Thurman - 8 years NFL D-Coordinator experience

DL - Jeff Weeks - 6 years NFL D-Line experience

In the context of it being Jackson State, pretty solid. I'm not familiar with all of his staff, but it's been pretty widely reported that not only is he recruiting above his weight, he's hiring above his weight, too. All due to his connections and who he is. I don't think personnel would be a problem with Deion.

• Plus1 1

I am old… I have lived through the true Glory Days…attended 2 NC games…had numerous dinners with TO….just painting picture…

If anyone in this world would live in the past, it’s me (like a lot of us)…. WITH THAT SAID…. anyone who thinks Nebraska is still a top notch job is either ignorant or too pompous to know better. We no longer have better facilities than any big time program, we have $$, but not the as much as some would like to think in comparison to what other top programs can offer, we have been a dumpster fire for sometime now…..our fan base is awesome, but can also be the root of some of the issues we are facing…..

I say this only to point out that a few think that we can lure ANYONE we want away from any school at anytime.  What an disillusioned Fran of mind. We will get the BEST Coach AVAILABLE to US…. period. Fanatsy land is fun, but reality will prevail and people will act like Trev failed..

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, desertshox said:

well if you were actually saying coach urban prime "will likely" recruit better instead of saying he "will" recruit better. you're not using past success to say how he/she/they "will likely perform" you are using past success saying it will happen.

Yes, Urban and Deion are MUCH more likely to be able to recruit FAR better than any other realistic candidate I've seen mentioned based on their past/current success. However you need me to phrase that, it's true.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Besides himself (undoubtedly one of the best DB recruiters in the country), here's a look at a couple guys from his defensive staff..

DC - Dennis Thurman - 8 years NFL D-Coordinator experience

DL - Jeff Weeks - 6 years NFL D-Line experience

In the context of it being Jackson State, pretty solid. I'm not familiar with all of his staff, but it's been pretty widely reported that not only is he recruiting above his weight, 

he's hiring above his weight, too. All due to his connections and who he is. I don't think personnel would be a problem with Deion.

Mike Zimmerman formerly with Dallas and the Vikings is working with him also.

Here's a few articles that talk about his coaching style...

https://www.news-press.com/story/sports/2020/09/21/new-jackson-state-coach-deion-sanders-has-hands-approach-coaching/5853777002/

https://247sports.com/Article/Deion-Sanders-fires-back-at-critique-of-coaching-style-reveals-Nick-Saban-influence-192290955/

https://hbcusports.com/2022/10/16/deion-sanders-explains-winning-philosophy-football-impact-and-the-what-if-on-60-minutes/

This quote speaks volumes....

I’m not pretending, I am who I am. I don’t have to placate that, I don’t have to trick or treat when it’s not October. I’m just simply who I am and have shown consistency throughout the years. You’re not just recruiting that young man, or young woman, to your program, you’re recruiting their parents as well, the community leaders. To be able to connect with them through social media so that they get a glimpse of what you’re really trying to accomplish, I think that’s where we are winning at. We don’t have the resources to compete with the dormitories and things that big universities feature on campus, but if a mother sees that if she sends me a boy, I’m going to try my darnedest to send her back a man that has discipline and has been prepared for life with character.

• Oh Yeah! 1

14 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

As much as I wish otherwise, be prepared to be disappointed with the hire. Those guys just go against the culture and it's really as simple as that. 

I see that we're already locked and loaded for the fallout.  Since it was asked of @Guy Chamberlin to provide evidence as to why Urban/Deion aren't realistic candidates, I'm sure it's not too much to ask for proof that they aren't being considered because 'culture'.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
46 minutes ago, huskerfan99 said:

Good lord can we get back to talking about realistic hires. 

4 pages of Deion banter is really derailing this thread.

:yeah:backtotopic

We've come up with plenty of reasons why most everyone we've discussed on here won't come to Nebraska. - Recruiting, they got it too good to leave where they are at, money, unrealistic, etc.

So what if that is the case, maybe Trev ends up with a G5 guy.  Therefore, another guy I'm still thinking about is Caldwell. Yes I know - not a P5 guy but he has a system and he seems to know how to work it.  It would be different than the normal Big 10 pro-style set.  Its benefit would be to recruit to the system and develop players for that system versus trying to find all of the 4 & 5 star guys and try to compete wt OSU, MI, USC for their services.  THIS WAS THE OLD NEBRASKA WAY BEFORE WE FELL INTO THE TRAP THAT WE HAD TO BE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. 

Here is a study on their offense wt a video link.  Sitting at 6-1 their only loss thus far is to Old Dominion - a surprising blow out to a 3-3 team.  

https://prostylespreadoffense.com/run-pass-option-offense-keys-coastal-carolina-study/

Jammy Chadwell makes under $1m ($922k) at CC.  If he were to to bring his OC, Korn, with him, that would make for a good transition.  

With a healthy salary boast, there would be money in the budget so  Chadwell could go out and hire the best DC and assistant coaches he could find (hopefully that would include MJ but not dependent on MJ for a new coach to be successful here).  

His offense would be fun to watch and I think we could get the players to Nebraska to run it.