Who should our next HC be?

39 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

So, we've gone from "he's not good enough for us" to "he's turning us down?"

giphy_o98s32.gif

Trev is not offering Deon in the first place AND I doubt Deon wants to come to Nebraska anyway. A job in his southeast stomping grounds will come calling sooner or later. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

What's amazing to me is that interview has now been on YouTube for a few days and it has 18K likes and ZERO dislikes. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Even more amazing is reading the comments. I didn't read all 2,200 but looking at the first several pages and all are GLOWING endorsements for how great Deion is. I know I've never seen that before. Hard to believe (and a little disturbing/disheartening) there are so many people around here who are so strongly opposed to him.

Here's a link for those who might have missed it...or who have been too close-minded to watch it...

Very good interview.   He says he'd have to listen if a P5 calls him.  He says he has to take care of his assistants- which is a red flag to me.  Sounds like XHCSF bringing his whole coaching staff to Nebraska.  

I wonder in listening to him and the success he has had, it seems a bit like he'd be stepping away from 'his calling' by leaving JSU.  He has invested into the lives of many and has given hope to whole conference.  But only he can answer the question as to where his calling takes him.   Would he be as effective in the big fish bowl?  Will he have the same influence over lives and impact on a program moving up to P5?? :dunno   But at age 55, he doesn't have time to slowly work his way up to a big name program.  Someone will take on the risk and name his as coach in a P5 conference - either after this season or the next. 

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Hard working 3-4 star level guys.  The 5 star guys can be fine but seem often to be a little flaky and full of themselves.  

GBR!

Is that why they get AA status, go to the NFL and stay in the NFL at a higher clip than 3 and 4 star guys? Obviously they can't hold a candle to the 2 star and under crowd but pretty sure 5 stars actually have a pretty high success rate when you actually look at the numbers

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 4

Just now, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

It's aTm. They haven't won anything since like the 30's

They have excellent NIL support, though. They payed $30 million for their last recruiting class, which was the number one class. You would think he would be able to win something with that.

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, HANC said:

I am old… I have lived through the true Glory Days…attended 2 NC games…had numerous dinners with TO….just painting picture…

If anyone in this world would live in the past, it’s me (like a lot of us)…. WITH THAT SAID…. anyone who thinks Nebraska is still a top notch job is either ignorant or too pompous to know better. We no longer have better facilities than any big time program, we have $$, but not the as much as some would like to think in comparison to what other top programs can offer, we have been a dumpster fire for sometime now…..our fan base is awesome, but can also be the root of some of the issues we are facing…..

I say this only to point out that a few think that we can lure ANYONE we want away from any school at anytime.  What an disillusioned Fran of mind. We will get the BEST Coach AVAILABLE to US…. period. Fanatsy land is fun, but reality will prevail and people will act like Trev failed..

I think that Alberts is working mighty diligently to get us a good coach. With some of the names that have been mentioned even I’ve begun to wonder and have doubts.

We really do need to have realistic expectations. There has to be mutual interest for there to be an agreement. That would seem obvious but we have to recognize that we can’t have about any coach we want. 

As an employer, you hire the applicant that expresses interest or one that you’ve successfully recruited. I’m not saying that an exceptional candidate can’t be acquired only that it’s unlikely. Right now it’s a good job and also one that has its own unique challenges. 

The task isn’t a simple one for Trev. I think that he’s being painstakingly thorough. There’s a lot of  things he has to negotiate through. 

13 hours ago, husker009 said:

I didn’t think it could get worse than Frost, but it just might with Campbell. With Frost, I knew every game outside of FCS opponents was likely a loss. With Campbell, the expectations will be high just for him to disappoint. The guy has lost to Louisiana Lafayette and Northern Iowa in his time at Iowa State. Does that sound elite to any of you? Also, he has proven over and over that he can’t win the big game as seen in the Big 12 Championship. His team choked constantly during that game. I’d rather have no expectations as opposed to being let down all the time with Campbell. 

How did he hurt you?  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

47 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

How did he hurt you?  

If Campbell is hired, a lot of the people on this board and the fan base in general will have high expectations. He will let them down and the fans will want to fire him by year 2. I’ve seen this movie before. Campbell has a lot of similarities to Mike Riley. Both coached at programs that had zero expectations. It’s kind of hard to fail at a place where there is zero expectations.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, husker009 said:

If Campbell is hired, a lot of the people on this board and the fan base in general while have high expectations. He will let them down and the fans will want to fire him by year 2. I’ve seen this movie before. Campbell has a lot of similarities to Mike Riley. Both coached at programs that had zero expectations. It’s kind of hard to fail at a place where there is zero expectations.

We already have the campbell version here right now

Does anyone here think Campbell can recruit at an elite level at all? From what I’ve read he refuses to go after five star players at Iowa State because he feels they are toxic. That is not how any program gets to an elite level. Deion would recruit at an elite level, but I’m not sure about his coaching ability. Kiffin or Klieman are the best choices in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Danimal said:

Trev is not offering Deon in the first place AND I doubt Deon wants to come to Nebraska anyway. A job in his southeast stomping grounds will come calling sooner or later. 

1 hour ago, Stone Cold said:

Do you have a source for this news.

Of course he doesn't.

Can we stop talking about losers like Campbell and Leipold and get back to discussing winners like Urban and Deion? Trev's not offering Campbell or Leipold and neither of them is leaving their programs anyway.

See how it works?

• Haha 2
  • TBH 2

To clarify the Deion story.

I friend of mine sent me a text which is exactly what I wrote previously.  He doesn't follow college football, only NFL, but knows I like the Huskers and that's why he sent the text to see if I heard the news.  I told him "that has to be a joke, even if it sounds pretty cool".  He replied "that's everything I heard them say.  They sounded serious to me."  

I asked who reported it and he didn't know.

So I passed it along - although I should have put in rumorville lol.