Who should our next HC be?

Filling in the blanks timeline on Deion...

September 11:

• Frost fired, Mickey named interim HC

September 12 and the days to come:

• Several media outlets and fans pushing for Deion
  • Month long search by Trev commences

October 5:

• Mickey Joseph quotes Deion to help motivate the team...

Mickey Joseph recited a quote from Deion Sanders to his Huskers on Wednesday morning.

“Bet on yourself, look in the mirror and believe in yourself,” Joseph said. “ ... Believe in yourself and what you see in that mirror.”

October 14:

On 10/14/2022 at 8:57 AM, Vizsla1 said:

What makes me nervous is how quiet it is down there from my sources and I have been told we already have our person - and blessed by Mickey.

• Deion sits down with 60 Minutes for an interview wearing all red that's one part endearing himself to Nebraska fans...

October 15 and the days to come:

• Lots more buzz around Deion from media outlets and fans due to 60 Minutes interview

October 18:

19 hours ago, admo said:

BREAKING NEWS

Just heard.... per local Dallas sport radio, former Cowboy Deion Sanders has accepted the Nebraska Head Coaching job.  Taking over end of season.

Starting to think this thing might already be a done deal...the answer has been right under our noses. :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Oh Yeah! 2
6 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Filling in the blanks timeline on Deion...

September 11:

• Frost fired, Mickey named interim HC

September 12 and the days to come:

• Several media outlets and fans pushing for Deion
  • Month long search by Trev commences

October 5:

• Mickey Joseph quotes Deion to help motivate the team...

October 14:

• Deion sits down with 60 Minutes for an interview wearing all red that's one part endearing himself to Nebraska fans...

October 15 and the days to come:

• Lots more buzz around Deion from media outlets and fans due to 60 Minutes interview

October 18:

Starting to think this thing might already be a done deal...the answer has been right under our noses. :D

image.jpeg.330c0a69401309dc455f7b6432648fdb.jpeg

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 4
14 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I hate to break it to you, but he was wearing Jackson St. colors. The red isn't the same as Nebraska.

Also, his son is the QB at Jackson St. - another son is a DB there.
Are they good enough to follow him to NU?

On the "pro" side of things: He could easily say that he wants to be part of correcting the lack of black HCs in Power 5 football (to those who think he is abandoning HCBUs.)

21 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

Other than each school's current state would it be a step down. Nebraska has a  bigger budget, better NIL, fan support and is not in a conference where if things are in order, would be at 8th in the pecking order. That's not even counting OU and Texas. Ole Miss' recruiting hasn't been much better, some years it's been worse. Any location advantage OM has is eliminated by other teams in their conference, with better resources, that take their in state talent.

I too am not saying he's the guy either.

I would absolutely love Kiffin here.  I think he has changed a lot as a HC after his stint at the Saban School of Coaching.   I know he hasn’t been pleased with the support at Ole Miss and I have also been told that his salary will be capped after this current contract is up. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

42 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Not saying he's the guy, but it makes a WHOLE LOT of sense. Coaches are in it for the money, at the end of the day. They make moves when their "stock" is highest. Right now he has Ole Miss undefeated, at the top of SEC West, with the #3 (Tied with Tennessee) "Points For" in the SEC (6 points behind Georgia) combined with a "Points Against" that is #4 in the SEC  (6 better than Alabama). His stock may never be higher in a tough conference. He also would likely LOVE being "the guy" for a team that has a whole State to itself. You know he'd love to play before a home crowd in a sellout Memorial Stadium.

None of us know who the guy is, so just go ahead and put it out in the universe and don't apologize for it :D

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Stumpy1 said:

I would absolutely love Kiffin here.  I think he has changed a lot as a HC after his stint at the Saban School of Coaching.   I know he hasn’t been pleased with the support at Ole Miss and I have also been told that his salary will be capped after this current contract is up. 

Due to state law, Mississippi state employees can only have a maximum of 4 year contracts. The most he will make in one year is 7.5 mil. Any other school outside of the state can offer more per year with a 5th/6th year. Plus Kiffin has been frustrated with NIL, particularly after losing Arch to Texas, where Thompson has said Nebraska has a better NIL collective.

Again not saying he's the guy.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Treand3 said:

Due to state law, Mississippi state employees can only have a maximum of 4 year contracts. The most he will make in one year is 7.5 mil. Any other school outside of the state can offer more per year with a 5th/6th year. Plus Kiffin has been frustrated with NIL, particularly after losing Arch to Texas, where Thompson has said Nebraska has a better NIL collective.

That is exactly what I was told.  He wants a cap on NIL money because of that.  

1 hour ago, husker009 said:

Just because the bar is low at Iowa State does not mean Campbell should get significant credit. Last year proved that his 2020 season was a fluke. In regular years, he’s an 8-win coach at best. 

I never said Campbell is my first choice either but clearly no one here has been to Ames, IA....good luck winning football games there. He has done a great job IMO 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Same. It seems like he was pleading with his fan base the first half of the season to show up to games. 

3 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

From Mississippi's Clarion ledger:

Kiffin will make $7.25 million in 2022 and receive a $100,000 raise every year through the contract's expiration in 2025. Mississippi law prohibits a public employee from signing a contract longer than four years. 

A clear majority of Kiffin's contract is not paid by the university. Per Kiffin's Ole Miss contract, he only earns $290,000 each year from the university.

In 2022:

• Head coach Lane Kiffin: $7,250,000
  • Co-defensive coordinator and S coach Chris Partridge: $1,200,000
  • Co-offensive coordinator and QBs coach Charlie Weis, Jr.: $800,000
  • Assistant head coach and WRs coach Derrick Nix: $500,000
  • Defensive line coach Randall Joyner: $450,000
  • Running backs coach Marquel Blackwell: $400,000
  • Tight ends coach and passing game coordinator John David Baker: $375,000
  • Strength coach Nick Savage: $375,000
  • Offensive line coach Jake Thornton: $300,000

In 2023:

• Head coach Lane Kiffin: $7,350,000
  • Co-defensive coordinator and S coach Chris Partridge: $1,300,000
  • Co-offensive coordinator and QBs coach Charlie Weis, Jr.: $825,000
  • Assistant head coach and WRs coach Derrick Nix: $525,000
  • Defensive line coach Randall Joyner: N/A
  • Running backs coach Marquel Blackwell: $425,000
  • Tight ends coach and passing game coordinator John David Baker: N/A
  • Strength coach Nick Savage: $500,000
  • Offensive line coach Jake Thornton: $325,000
1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

You didn't, I did. But if we're not going to give credit to Deion for his FCS success, we certainly can't give Leipold credit for his D3 success. Simply pointing out that for 2 guys who have taken over dumpster fire D1 programs, Deion has a much better record than Leipold. Comparing on the field and recruiting results, Leipold looks pretty average, honestly. And I actually think Leipold is a pretty good coach and wouldn't be completely opposed to him if we hired him.

I never said Deion didnt have success. You said Deion was a winner and those other coaches weren't. I was just pointing out how silly it is to call someone a winner over a coach that has 6 titles and was the fastest ever to 100 wins. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

That is exactly what I was told.  He wants a cap on NIL money because of that.  

He's gone on record saying that. Though I'm unsure if that's going to happen anytime soon. That said, OM's NIL is behind a lot of schools in general.

14 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I never said Campbell is my first choice either but clearly no one here has been to Ames, IA....good luck winning football games there. He has done a great job IMO 

There’s a lot of trees there. Other than that, I’ve got nothing. I’m bummed there’s no mountains. Ames must be “going green” with all the trees. I respect the initiative.

550A9574-5354-49D2-95F4-6A7D96C361CB.jpeg