Who should our next HC be?

7 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

Same. It seems like he was pleading with his fan base the first half of the season to show up to games. 

From Mississippi's Clarion ledger:

Kiffin will make $7.25 million in 2022 and receive a $100,000 raise every year through the contract's expiration in 2025. Mississippi law prohibits a public employee from signing a contract longer than four years. 

A clear majority of Kiffin's contract is not paid by the university. Per Kiffin's Ole Miss contract, he only earns $290,000 each year from the university.

In 2022:

• Head coach Lane Kiffin: $7,250,000
  • Co-defensive coordinator and S coach Chris Partridge: $1,200,000
  • Co-offensive coordinator and QBs coach Charlie Weis, Jr.: $800,000
  • Assistant head coach and WRs coach Derrick Nix: $500,000
  • Defensive line coach Randall Joyner: $450,000
  • Running backs coach Marquel Blackwell: $400,000
  • Tight ends coach and passing game coordinator John David Baker: $375,000
  • Strength coach Nick Savage: $375,000
  • Offensive line coach Jake Thornton: $300,000

In 2023:

• Head coach Lane Kiffin: $7,350,000
  • Co-defensive coordinator and S coach Chris Partridge: $1,300,000
  • Co-offensive coordinator and QBs coach Charlie Weis, Jr.: $825,000
  • Assistant head coach and WRs coach Derrick Nix: $525,000
  • Defensive line coach Randall Joyner: N/A
  • Running backs coach Marquel Blackwell: $425,000
  • Tight ends coach and passing game coordinator John David Baker: N/A
  • Strength coach Nick Savage: $500,000
  • Offensive line coach Jake Thornton: $325,000

Again. People that say OM is a better job are only looking at things because of where they are on the map and that they are seemingly rolling right now. You wouldn't have to tell Nebraska fans twice to show up for a ranked team, let alone for one that has been bowl-less for the last several years.

Yes, the clarion ledger post. I was a little off on the numbers. Yes Kiffin's salary is mostly from private donors. 

• Plus1 2

23 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I never said Campbell is my first choice either but clearly no one here has been to Ames, IA....good luck winning football games there. He has done a great job IMO 

I live in iowa and have been to ames hundreds of times.  I see no difference in Lincoln vs Ames other than our stadium is quite a bit larger.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
32 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

None of us know who the guy is, so just go ahead and put it out in the universe and don't apologize for it :D

One of the media guys said he's floated "the name" out there and is pretty sure that 80% of the fan base would be excited about it. I don't follow him that closely, but I'm guessing he has floated A LOT of names. But I do think that Lane Kiffin makes sense (and I'm guessing 80% of the fan base would be excited about him coming to Nebraska).

It also almost becomes a 2fer because his pop - Monte Kiffin - would likely come with -- -- currently his "player personnel analyst" at Old Miss and most will remember him as Nebraska's DC from (what?) '74-77 under Osborne. All Monte did was:
"mastermind the Tampa 2 scheme" in the NFL. 

His defensive philosophy has several hallmarks.

• Speed over size and strength. Coordinators that employ Kiffin-style defenses will often replace linebackers with safeties in order to put more speed on the field. In particular, linebackers must be able to cover receivers; in the Tampa 2 scheme, one linebacker frequently drops back deep into coverage, turning what looks like a Cover 2 defense into a Cover 3. Kiffin's defenses also employ quick, penetrating defensive tackles.
  • Preventing scores over preventing yardage. A Kiffin coordinator doesn't care how many yards an offense gains, as long as the team doesn't score, an approach known as bend-but-don't-break.
  • Multiple defenses from one look. Kiffin-style defenses try to use the same personnel (or the same kind of personnel) at all times, so that the offense cannot adjust its play call based on the alignment of the defensive personnel.
  • Attacking and causing turnovers. Kiffin-style defenses focus on getting the ball away from the offense by stripping the ball away from the ball carrier or reading the quarterback to make an interception. The risk is that if the ball is not stripped or intercepted, then the ball carrier on offense has a better chance of gaining more yards or scoring; the reward is that the offensive drive is stopped without a score more often, frequently giving good field position." - source Wikipedia

See also:

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
14 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I live in iowa and have been to ames hundreds of times.  I see no difference in Lincoln vs Ames other than our stadium is quite a bit larger.  

Hate to break it to Nebraska fans but when most people think of Lincoln they think of being in the middle not nowhere with cold weather and nothing to do. Not saying it's accurate (well, maybe it is); just saying that's how people perceive it to be.

19 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Stadium, fans, tradition, facilities for starters. Ames also has a small block of college bars on Welch Ave and that's it. Lincoln has way more stuff going on than Ames. Iowa St 9/10 will lose out to Iowa on in-state recruits as well based mainly on the things I said prior. Nebraska though small doesn't share with any other FBS football teams...heck even UNI will get a few overlooked kids now and then. Lincoln is almost 5x larger than Ames. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

One of the media guys said he's floated "the name" out there and is pretty sure that 80% of the fan base would be excited about it. I don't follow him that closely, but I'm guessing he has floated A LOT of names. But I do think that Lane Kiffin makes sense (and I'm guessing 80% of the fan base would be excited about him coming to Nebraska).

It also almost becomes a 2fer because his pop - Monte Kiffin - would likely come with -- -- currently his "player personnel analyst" at Old Miss and most will remember him as Nebraska's DC from (what?) '74-77 under Osborne. All Monte did was:
"mastermind the Tampa 2 scheme" in the NFL. 

His defensive philosophy has several hallmarks.

• Speed over size and strength. Coordinators that employ Kiffin-style defenses will often replace linebackers with safeties in order to put more speed on the field. In particular, linebackers must be able to cover receivers; in the Tampa 2 scheme, one linebacker frequently drops back deep into coverage, turning what looks like a Cover 2 defense into a Cover 3. Kiffin's defenses also employ quick, penetrating defensive tackles.
  • Preventing scores over preventing yardage. A Kiffin coordinator doesn't care how many yards an offense gains, as long as the team doesn't score, an approach known as bend-but-don't-break.
  • Multiple defenses from one look. Kiffin-style defenses try to use the same personnel (or the same kind of personnel) at all times, so that the offense cannot adjust its play call based on the alignment of the defensive personnel.
  • Attacking and causing turnovers. Kiffin-style defenses focus on getting the ball away from the offense by stripping the ball away from the ball carrier or reading the quarterback to make an interception. The risk is that if the ball is not stripped or intercepted, then the ball carrier on offense has a better chance of gaining more yards or scoring; the reward is that the offensive drive is stopped without a score more often, frequently giving good field position." - source Wikipedia

See also:

Gag me, Kiffin screwed up Tennessee, screwed up USC, screwed up the Raiders, and has NEVER stayed in a job more than 3 years. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

If Trev were smart, he would make a pitch to Urban that he could go out on a positive note by turning NU around. Realistically, I think he would actually consider it. You can’t convince that the guy does not care what people think about him. The most recent impression people have of him is him flopping in the NFL and a girl grinding on him at a bar. I’m sure he doesn’t like that. Trev needs to stop messing around and capitalize on his golden opportunity. It really doesn’t get any easier. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
16 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Yeah.  Ames is actually a pretty nice city and very close to Des Moines, which is also nice.  People who are saying different really haven't spent time there.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Hate to break it to Nebraska fans but when most people think of Lincoln they think of being in the middle not nowhere with cold weather and nothing to do. Not saying it's accurate (well, maybe it is); just saying that's how people perceive it to be.

You starting something with me kane, cuz ill finish it

Best Hi Avi GIFs | Gfycat

• Haha 4

Learning that Lane Kiffin's salary is going to be capped by State law, pretty much clinches it for me. He can't play this for a salary raise.

It's gonna be Lane (and Monte) Kiffin. You don't think that T.O. can speak to Monte on the phone? :D Easiest back door negotiations in the world!

Wonder if Lane could get his brother to come be the DC? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Kiffin

NU's coaching staff would sound like a Law Firm: Kiffin, Kiffin, and Kiffin. :D

20 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

... His defensive philosophy has several hallmarks.

• Attacking and causing turnovers. Kiffin-style defenses focus on getting the ball away from the offense by stripping the ball away from the ball carrier or reading the quarterback to make an interception. The risk is that if the ball is not stripped or intercepted, then the ball carrier on offense has a better chance of gaining more yards or scoring; the reward is that the offensive drive is stopped without a score more often, frequently giving good field position."

I'd be cool with that Defensive look... I'm assuming we move to 4-man line, if so (although you could run Tampa 2 outta a 3-man line).

Was getting tired of the 3-man front, anyway.

I always assumed attacking defense was contradictory to Bend-But-Don't-Break; but this explains how that's not exactly true...

Do you have any idea how often he blitzes?

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, husker009 said:

Matt Campbell is the most overrated coach in the history of college football. His only good year came during 2020 when he was playing every one's scout teams. 

21 hours ago, husker009 said:

If he's hired, this program is doomed to nothing but mediocrity going forward. 

18 hours ago, husker009 said:

So you’re satisfied with going 7-5 for the rest of eternity? Because that’s all Campbell would bring. 

What’s funny is that Iowa State has been such a horrible program that a coach winning even seven games there makes people think that the coach is elite.

Let’s see, Campbell is known for losing one-score games. He’s like 1-8 in the last nine one-score games he has been in. Sounds like a certain ginger that’s probably in Cabo right now counting $15 million from NU atheltics.

And no trophies to show for it. Campbell is a con-man if I’ve ever seen one.

17 hours ago, husker009 said:

I didn’t think it could get worse than Frost, but it just might with Campbell. With Frost, I knew every game outside of FCS opponents was likely a loss. With Campbell, the expectations will be high just for him to disappoint. The guy has lost to Louisiana Lafayette and Northern Iowa in his time at Iowa State. Does that sound elite to any of you? Also, he has proven over and over that he can’t win the big game as seen in the Big 12 Championship. His team choked constantly during that game. I’d rather have no expectations as opposed to being let down all the time with Campbell. 

16 hours ago, husker009 said:

It’s a sad day for NU when the fans are saying that a coach of a 3-4 team would be an improvement. 

15 hours ago, husker009 said:

I have been vocal about not wanting Mickey. I will say that if Campbell is the top target, then NU might as well hire Mickey. Both would be mediocre. Trev needs to be fired in this scenario since he would be accepting mediocrity.

4 hours ago, husker009 said:

If Campbell is hired, a lot of the people on this board and the fan base in general will have high expectations. He will let them down and the fans will want to fire him by year 2. I’ve seen this movie before. Campbell has a lot of similarities to Mike Riley. Both coached at programs that had zero expectations. It’s kind of hard to fail at a place where there is zero expectations.

3 hours ago, husker009 said:

Does anyone here think Campbell can recruit at an elite level at all? From what I’ve read he refuses to go after five star players at Iowa State because he feels they are toxic. That is not how any program gets to an elite level. Deion would recruit at an elite level, but I’m not sure about his coaching ability. Kiffin or Klieman are the best choices in my opinion.

2 hours ago, husker009 said:

Klieman is 5-1. Campbell is 3-4. Campbell’s best season came during the COVID year while Klieman is doing well in a year where there isn’t a global pandemic. Every team ISU faced in 2020 was riddled with injuries while ISU’s key players stayed relatively healthy. I can look past Klieman’s recruiting at K-State because he manages to actually maximize the talent he has, unlike Campbell. Plus, Manhattan is a dump so I don’t expect him to recruit well there.

2 hours ago, husker009 said:

Just because the bar is low at Iowa State does not mean Campbell should get significant credit. Last year proved that his 2020 season was a fluke. In regular years, he’s an 8-win coach at best. 

1 hour ago, husker009 said:

I do feel sorry for Campbell having to live in Ames. That doesn’t mean NU should reward him for his 8 win seasons by getting him out of that crap hole, though.

I'm hearing a lot of buzz about this Campbell guy in the past few hours.  Could be something to it?

• Haha 5