Who should our next HC be?

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

If we can't get a Big Name hire, I'd go for Chadwell in a heart beat.  Need to get a solid defensive staff that bang in the B1G, but I think his O would cause some issues.  Grant and AJ in the backfield at the same time.....Mobile QB.....

I agree.  - he is my first of the non-big names. (I consider BOB a big name based on experience).  But I also could be persuaded to put him first overall- just to get Nebraska back to being Nebraska and being different.   None of the coaches that followed Frank were basically different than the flavor of the month of what was going on in college football. 

BC did the pro-set, Bo did whatever the Big 12 did and then couldn't adjust to B1G. MR was weak west coast stuff - pro-set,  Frost was spread with out having the speed or power.  

Time to get some identity back that is uniquely Nebraska. 

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Who do you guys consider to be Big Names now?  I also put the % I think they would come here if offered based on a number I pulled from the air:facepalm: - but mainly just by reading all of this craziness

Big Name Hires

URB - but unrealistic      0%

Chris Peterson  - but unrealistic   0% 

Matt Rhule     10%  (I think he sits a year)

Lane Kiffin      30%

Dave Aranda   40%

Prime Time    1%

Bill O'Brien (Big name based on his whole body of work) - very realistic  80%

Medium  Name Hires

Chadwell    65%

Leipold       75%

Klieman     30%

Monken     35%

Campbell  30%  fading fast

I think my personal ranking at this point (leaving out URB, CP, Prime Time as totally not going to happen)

Kiffin     - Name recognition, recruiter   Despite his current success, he sounds ready for a change - where he can get more support. 

Rhule  - a lot of upside  - great experience, name recognition  but may be unrealistic for this year of the coaching carosal  

O'Brien   - the maturity & all well rounded experience on the college and pro levels can't be ignored

Chadwell  - which would signal we are going to differentiate ourselves.  Long term success as college coach

Leipold - program developer - places program on a stable, consistent base of performance 

Nonken - differentiation 

Aranda  - still young in HC experience but very good defensive mind

Klienman  - knows our Midwest area and can secure the 500 mile radius

Campbell  -  mostly MEH at this point

Great list, but I'm sorry...O'Brien and Aranda are not considered "big names" anywhere outside of here. They are both firmly in the "medium name" category. And how do you put a "fading fast" next to Campbell but not Aranda? He's 3-3 right now, hasn't really beaten anyone with a pulse, and has losses to some pretty crappy teams. That's text book fading fast from where I'm sitting.

3 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Great list, but I'm sorry...O'Brien and Aranda are not considered "big names" anywhere outside of here. They are both firmly in the "medium name" category. And how do you put a "fading fast" next to Campbell but not Aranda? He's 3-3 right now, hasn't really beaten anyone with a pulse, and has losses to some pretty crappy teams. That's text book fading fast from where I'm sitting.

This is extremely inaccurate about O'Brien and Aranda.  You are just pushing some agenda. They are widely considered big names Nationally. Google it, watch interviews, listen to coaches in the profession. If you want to play the fan base game with O'Brien go to the LSU message boards who would rather have Aranda than Brian Kelly. Pick your poison. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
16 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

3 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

This is extremely inaccurate about O'Brien and Aranda.  You are just pushing some agenda. They are widely considered big names Nationally. Google it, watch interviews, listen to coaches in the profession. If you want to play the fan base game with O'Brien go to the LSU message boards who would rather have Aranda than Brian Kelly. Pick your poison. 

I agree wt you # 22.  Yes Aranda currently isn't doing well, but he is a 'hotter' prospect in most people's eyes then Campbell and really all of the 'boarder' coaches.  I think people see his upside as being higher - esp with his D background.     

Red Silk - you can't discount BOB's overall experience.  Coaching at New England under a legendary NFL coach, Coaching under a now legendary college coach, turning Houston into a competitive, division wining NFL team,  keeping PSU out of the dumpster during a death penalty like experience.   Not too many of the other names on the list has the experience and experiences as BOB.   He will be a college HC again and whoever has him will be a winner.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

I just went to LSU reddit and Tiger droppings and they've barely mentioned him in months, much less saying they want him over BK. They might have been saying that after their first game of the year when they lost to FSU or they may have been saying that last year when Kelly was hired. LSU is 5-2 with 2 conf wins and their only conf loss to Tenn who's looking pretty damn good. Aranda is 3-3 and hasn't beat squat. None of them are saying that now.

40 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

I have lived in South Louisiana for the past 30+ years and I know that Aranda was one guy that LSU fans were hoping for when O was fired. The reason they're no longer mentioning him is because Kelly seems to have them moving back in the right direction with a very young and talented team. Next year Walker Howard will be QB and they have a Top 5 recruiting class this year. They'll be back on top very, very soon. As far as Bill O' Brien goes, Bama fans can't wait to see him leave. Most people in SEC country don't regard him too highly.

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, husker009 said:

I don't condone what he did, but he was a good recruiter for OSU. On top of that, he seems to have learned from his mistakes and turned his life around. Zak Smith just proves my point even further that being dirty more times than not yields wins. Football is not supposed to be Sunday school. 

wut?

Former OSU assistant coach Zach Smith sentenced for violating civil protection order

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Who do you guys consider to be Big Names now?  I also put the % I think they would come here if offered based on a number I pulled from the air:facepalm: - but mainly just by reading all of this craziness

Big Name Hires

URB - but unrealistic      0%

Chris Peterson  - but unrealistic   0% 

Matt Rhule     10%  (I think he sits a year)

Lane Kiffin      30%

Dave Aranda   40%

Prime Time    1%

Bill O'Brien (Big name based on his whole body of work) - very realistic  80%

Medium  Name Hires

Chadwell    65%

Leipold       75%

Klieman     30%

Monken     35%

Campbell  30%  fading fast

I think my personal ranking at this point (leaving out URB, CP, Prime Time as totally not going to happen)

Kiffin     - Name recognition, recruiter   Despite his current success, he sounds ready for a change - where he can get more support. 

Rhule  - a lot of upside  - great experience, name recognition  but may be unrealistic for this year of the coaching carosal  

O'Brien   - the maturity & all well rounded experience on the college and pro levels can't be ignored

Chadwell  - which would signal we are going to differentiate ourselves.  Long term success as college coach

Leipold - program developer - places program on a stable, consistent base of performance 

Nonken - differentiation 

Aranda  - still young in HC experience but very good defensive mind

Klienman  - knows our Midwest area and can secure the 500 mile radius

Campbell  -  mostly MEH at this point 

I find it a little funny that you have Chadwell listed as a long term success as a college coach but have Campbell listed as 'Meh'.  Chadwell's record at Coastal is 36-20 with 6 games to go this season.  Campbell's record at Toledo was 35-15 for an apples to apples comparison.  I get Chadwell had some modest success at the FCS/D2 level but that doesn't do anything for me.  

Not trying to pick a fight or anything, just something I found funny.

• TBH 1

I don’t think it’s overly productive to argue what constitutes a “big name.” It’s a subjective qualifier. O’Brien and Aranda are both well known and well respected names in the CFB industry. O’Brien would likely be considered a very successful hire by a majority or very large portion of the CFB world.

Anecdotally scouring message boards to see which potential Nebraska HC candidate is talked about more than the other doesn’t prove anything valuable. Might as well tell us what’s being said down at the nearest bar. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

5 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I was talking to a long time Texas A&M fan & grad this morning at work.  We were saying something similar.    The flavor of the day is the spread - everyone runs it and THEREFORE everyone has recruited a defense to stop it.  He came out and said Nebraska needs to go back to the gritty smashmouth football they ONCE WERE.  That doesn't mean we just RTDB but that we modernize what Tom did.  Recruit to our strengths and not be like everyone else.  If we can't get a big name who can bring in recruits to compete with OSU, USC, etc, then I would be all in on Jeff Monken or Chadwell.  Both would provide an offense that would be hard to prepare for as we'd be the only one on the opposing team's schedule with that type of O.   Granted, it means recruiting 4 star and 5 star OL would be a must, receivers who can catch and block, and a RB who can take on the load.  Of course - it won't matter if the D doesn't improve.  But a more ball controlled O helps out the D in so many ways as you all know.  

I like this idea!  Also,  they then would need to put that NIL money to work and pay off some high profile offensive as well as defensive lineman!  We would need that for the Big 10 regardless.

1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I don't think Gundy is elite either. The problem with guys like Gundy and Aranda is that they're performing about where they should be at the places they're at, both of which are considered on par or better than current Nebraska. Both are in better recruiting areas. Both have plenty of resources and fan support. Neither is a blue blood, which we still are, but they're as good or better than us in every other category. And all that history means jack to kids these days. So, why do you think either is elite? Or would be able to improve if they came to NU?

Elite to me is either someone who's A) doing GREAT at someplace lower than Nebraska or B) has won BIG at a school on par with or better than Nebraska.

Petersen I'll give you, but I just don't see Aranda (or Gundy) that way. Maybe we have different definitions of "elite." And just to clarify, I think there are a small handful of coaches who fall into that category.

GTFO if you don’t think Gundy is elite for what he’s done in Stillwater especially over the last decade.

Literally he qualifies under your definition for point A. But you’re too busy with the big D(eion) to see reality. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I agree.  - he is my first of the non-big names. (I consider BOB a big name based on experience).  But I also could be persuaded to put him first overall- just to get Nebraska back to being Nebraska and being different.   None of the coaches that followed Frank were basically different than the flavor of the month of what was going on in college football. 

BC did the pro-set, Bo did whatever the Big 12 did and then couldn't adjust to B1G. MR was weak west coast stuff - pro-set,  Frost was spread with out having the speed or power.  

Time to get some identity back that is uniquely Nebraska. 

I agree.  Dude knows his scheme.  Not some gimmick.  Again, imagine his scheme with "better" recruits.  What RB wouldn't want to play in that.  And looking at their stats they are a pretty balanced offense.  It does take a certain QB to make it work.

9 minutes ago, crouchingzebra said:

GTFO if you don’t think Gundy is elite for what he’s done in Stillwater especially over the last decade.

Literally he qualifies under your definition for point A. But you’re too busy with the big D(eion) to see reality. 

If you think 1 conference title in 18 years is doing GREAT, then we clearly have two very different definitions of GREAT and elite. T Boon Pickens pumped a ton of money into that place. They have facilities, resources etc. and they’re near the biggest recruiting hotbed in the country. No offense, but I don’t think I’m the one not seeing reality here.

• Haha 3