Who should our next HC be?

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Why do fans post on here "we demand excellence and championship football, and settling for 7, 8, or 9 wins isn't Nebraska football" and then in the same breath, say "I think we should be able to get by on paying a guy bottom of the conference in terms of salary"?  It makes no sense!!

I'd call $6-mil/year a lowball offer. You want an elite coach, you want an elite program, you gotta pay elite money.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You want an elite coach, you want an elite program, you gotta pay elite money.

But you also have to be careful that you don't end up paying elite money to Mel Tucker...

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Enhance said:

AHowever, the second reason I'm skeptical about those rumors is because of the AD's willingness to cut ties with Frost prior to the much cheaper alternative firing date. It would seem a bit contrarian to treat the firing situation that way while simultaneously trying to skimp on the front end of hiring someone.

Agree with your above post and the bold text is why I've felt all along that Trev (whom I believe is a very intelligent strategist) has always felt that MJ is the guy. Think about it, without any risk in damaging the season any further Trev is getting first hand knowledge on how MJ would lead. How athletes, media, administration personnel, B1G officials, etc.. etc... react and truth is, MJ is "ok" with a slightly lesser contract that is incentive driven, heck he's come out and said he wants his coaching staff taken care of. (First the athletes, then the coaches, then administrators and he'll take whats left).. Is this not an AD's perfect scenario? Personally, I'm a Dan Lanning fan (Oregon's HC) and not far behind him is Kalen DeBoer (Washington's HC). After that I really don't think any other mentioned coaches (maybe Lane, Rhule) bring anymore calm to Trev's decision. Lance, Aranda, Doeren all have Head Coaching experience but also haven't really won anything. Monken (Army HC) imo has as much upside as Liepold, Aranda, Doeren and also runs an offense much like Bo did... We don't know what offense MJ would implement if he's hired but there's someone that does, Trev.. 

I honestly think, when the dust settles, regardless of whom is hired, in the end MJ will be able to say "I did my best" and yes, imo, I hope he says that in 2040 after winning 3 naty's :):woo:wasted

• Oh Yeah! 1

I think MJ is giving it is best shot and is hoping for the best, but is well aware of his own limitations. There's a big difference between being a position coach and a head coach at a D1 university. I think he'll be perfectly content knowing he did his best, and remaining on-staff with a hefty pay raise and perhaps the title of recruiting coordinator.

28 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Interesting read. I know nothing about that writer or website, so that's a bit of a personal red flag (that could very much just be a "me" problem, though).

I read that article this morning and put zero validity to it and didn't think it was worth the share on here.  Not sure if he has edited it, but the amount of grammatical/proofreading errors this morning was enough for me to never visit that website again.

• TBH 1
14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Why do fans post on here "we demand excellence and championship football, and settling for 7, 8, or 9 wins isn't Nebraska football" and then in the same breath, say "I think we should be able to get by on paying a guy bottom of the conference in terms of salary"?  It makes no sense!!

If we want to play with the big boys of the conference, then act like it.  Our bare minimum should be $7M.

B1G Salaries

Tucker $9.5M

Day $7.6M

Franklin $7.5M

Harbaugh $7.3M

Ferentz $7.0M
Fitzgerald $5.7M

Chryst $5.2M

Fleck $5.0M

Brohm $4.8M

Allen $4.7M

Bielema $4.2M

Frost $4.0M

Schiano $4.0M

Locksley $2.5M

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

If we want to play with the big boys of the conference, then act like it.  Our bare minimum should be $7M.

B1G Salaries

Tucker $9.5M

Day $7.6M

Franklin $7.5M

Harbaugh $7.3M

Ferentz $7.0M
Fitzgerald $5.7M

Chryst $5.2M

Fleck $5.0M

Brohm $4.8M

Allen $4.7M

Bielema $4.2M

Frost $4.0M

Schiano $4.0M

Locksley $2.5M

It’s settled then. Pay Urban $10 mil a year.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Also, if you want the top assistants, then you pay top assistant money.

OSU pays their 10 on field assistants a combined $9M.  Alabama is $8.4M.  Florida's new staff is $7.5M.

We were at $5.2M this year.

This is where I am obligated to say we offer LaVar Woods of Iowa $1M to come to our side of the Missouri River.

• Oh Yeah! 1
24 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'd call $6-mil/year a lowball offer. You want an elite coach, you want an elite program, you gotta pay elite money.

For who? That’s a nice raise for a lot of the guys I’ve seen mentioned. Under market for some others. All depends on who we’re talking about and what they’ve accomplished. Can’t really look at these things in a vacuum here. Can’t say we need to pay $10M and then go pay a Leipold or Mickey that.

4 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

For who? That’s a nice raise for a lot of the guys I’ve seen mentioned. Under market for some others. All depends on who we’re talking about and what they’ve accomplished. Can’t really look at these things in a vacuum here. Can’t say we need to pay $10M and then go pay a Leipold or Mickey that.

Leipold and Mickey probably aren’t worth $5 mil a year.