Who should our next HC be?

7 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

For who?

I've said multiple times in this thread if I was Trev I would make Luke Fickell tell me no.

Give him $20M and say this is your entire coaching staff pool (yourself, on-field assistants, S&C staff, analysts, etc).  You divide it how you see fit.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I've said multiple times in this thread if I was Trev I would make Luke Fickell tell me no.

Give him $20M and say this is your entire coaching staff pool (yourself, on-field assistants, S&C staff, analysts, etc).  You divide it how you see fit.

Fickell would leave for Ohio State if it opens up. That’s the only concern I would have. He checks all the boxes, though.

2 hours ago, husker009 said:

Because Mike Riley and Scott Frost were really going to change that. Riley went 5-7 at Oregon State his final year and Frost’s success came in the AAC. Not sure how people could have seen either of those guys as sure upgrades over Bo. 

Speaking of hindsight, I don't recall anyone in college football who didn't think Scott Frost was going to lead Nebraska back into relevance. It was the biggest no-brainer in college football coaching hires. The pollsters even put Scott's 2019 team in the preseason Top 25 despite that 4-8 opening season.

If you can find a record of yourself in 2018 warning that Scott Frost's resume was a recipe for disappointment, I'd be thrilled to read it. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 3

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't recall anyone in college football who didn't think Scott Frost was going to lead Nebraska back into relevance. It was the biggest no-brainer in college football coaching hires.

I don't know Guy... there are a lot of folks here suggesting (if not outright claiming) that SF was a bad hire, just a "fan" hire, etc., from the get go.

I mean, this totally runs contrary to the overwhelming majority of what was said on social media, in the news, and on this board back in 2017 when he was hired. But hey, we won't let that get in the way of a good time.

:sarcasm

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, SUPERBUNNY said:

f#&% BO PELINI!!!  Thankfully that douche canoe had that meeting with players on his way out the door.  Yeah, he had a record we all wish for now but I will never settle for having a classless SOB like that as our coach.  NEVER!

We should all be hoping for Mickey Joseph to get on a run with this team and that he becomes the next coach.  That's all there should be until the end of the season.  Alberts will continue to do the hire diligence but anyone else being named the coach before the end of the season isn't likely unless we lose the next few games.

If MJ doesn't get the job, I'm not sure if I have a favorite.  Matt Campbell is intriguing.  

It's up to Trev to get this right.  If not, he will be latest Husker legend to come and go.  

SUPERBUNNY

You seem to have the same personality as Bo.  Surprised you didn’t like him…

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • TBH 1
8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Speaking of hindsight, I don't recall anyone in college football who didn't think Scott Frost was going to lead Nebraska back into relevance. It was the biggest no-brainer in college football coaching hires. The pollsters ever put Scott's 2019 team in the preseason Top 25 despite that 4-8 opening season.

If you can find a record of yourself in 2018 warning that Scott Frost's resume was a recipe for disappointment, I'd be thrilled to read it. 

I thought he could be a coach that won 8, 9 games a year. Post-Riley, that seemed like improvement. I never thought of him as a championship-caliber coach. The Big Ten is a giant step-up from the AAC. 

28 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

For who? That’s a nice raise for a lot of the guys I’ve seen mentioned. Under market for some others. All depends on who we’re talking about and what they’ve accomplished. Can’t really look at these things in a vacuum here. Can’t say we need to pay $10M and then go pay a Leipold or Mickey that.

I'm talking for a top-tier coach, not one of those run of the mill Joe Blows.

1 hour ago, husker009 said:

Because Mike Riley and Scott Frost were really going to change that. Riley went 5-7 at Oregon State his final year and Frost’s success came in the AAC. Not sure how people could have seen either of those guys as sure upgrades over Bo. With Bo, he was the kind of coach where if there is not anyone that is a definitive upgrade, it is best to keep him. I remember being shocked when Riley was hired and thinking “that’s who they fired Bo for?” Sure enough, Riley only lasted three years. Frosty only got more than three years because he played here in the 90s. That’s always enough to land a job of some kind at NU apparently.

3 minutes ago, husker009 said:

I thought he could be a coach that won 8, 9 games a year. Post-Riley, that seemed like improvement. I never thought of him as a championship-caliber coach. The Big Ten is a giant step-up from the AAC. 

walkinitback.gif

• TBH 5
On 10/23/2022 at 8:13 AM, Bigred_inSD said:

If 3 happens, ill quit Nebraska football 

If it is Mullen, Nebraska will fully shift to being a volleyball school.

Fair enough, BOB has a great resume. He is getting carried by superior athletes. But the defense is arguably worse with said athletes. Not my first choice but he makes the list with that experience. The real difference is he has been with Saban and that experience should change him for the better.

I don't get the take on Mullen. Was really close to beating an unbeatable Alabama team in 2020 and was a DC away from still being at Florida. He got fired way too quick. It would have been like us firing Frost after 2019. Although, I think he would have been a better hire for us in 2014 and it seems he may still want some time away from coaching. 

20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Speaking of hindsight, I don't recall anyone in college football who didn't think Scott Frost was going to lead Nebraska back into relevance. It was the biggest no-brainer in college football coaching hires. The pollsters ever put Scott's 2019 team in the preseason Top 25 despite that 4-8 opening season.

If you can find a record of yourself in 2018 warning that Scott Frost's resume was a recipe for disappointment, I'd be thrilled to read