Who should our next HC be?

6 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Fair enough, BOB has a great resume. He is getting carried by superior athletes. But the defense is arguably worse with said athletes. Not my first choice but he makes the list with that experience. The real difference is he has been with Saban and that experience should change him for the better.

I don't get the take on Mullen. Was really close to beating an unbeatable Alabama team in 2020 and was a DC away from still being at Florida. He got fired way too quick. It would have been like us firing Frost after 2019. Although, I think he would have been a better hire for us in 2014 and it seems he may still want some time away from coaching. 

Mullen's resume really doesnt even look that much more impressive than Campbell's at schools with a insane ammount more talent than ISU. Campbell also actually beat a playoff team in his 2nd year not just almost did. 

10 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Mullen's resume really doesnt even look that much more impressive than Campbell's at schools with a insane ammount more talent than ISU. Campbell also actually beat a playoff team in his 2nd year not just almost did. 

Campbell would be a more underwhelming hire than Callahan and Riley combined.

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, husker009 said:

Fickell would leave for Ohio State if it opens up. That’s the only concern I would have. He checks all the boxes, though.

Funny only to me, but my initial top 2 were Luke Fickell and Chris Peterson. Now both names have been brought up within the past week. I would love either of these guys

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Red Five said:

If we want to play with the big boys of the conference, then act like it.  Our bare minimum should be $7M.

B1G Salaries

Tucker $9.5M

Day $7.6M

Franklin $7.5M

Harbaugh $7.3M

Ferentz $7.0M
Fitzgerald $5.7M

Chryst $5.2M

Fleck $5.0M

Brohm $4.8M

Allen $4.7M

Bielema $4.2M

Frost $4.0M

Schiano $4.0M

Locksley $2.5M

The ego with this statement/thinking is pretty thick.

Tucker $9.5M - haha!

Day $7.6M  - best team in conference and playoff contender

Franklin $7.5M -  been HC at Penn State since 2014!

Harbaugh $7.3M - been HC at MICHIGAN since 2015

Ferentz $7.0M - been HC at Iowa since 1999!
Fitzgerald $5.7M - been HC at Northwestern since 2006!

Chryst $5.2M - HC 2015-2022 and buyout was settled at $11 million

Fleck $5.0M -  HC at Minnesota since 2017 (now in his 6th year)

Brohm $4.8M - HC at Purdue since 2017 (see above)

Allen $4.7M - HC at Indiana since 2016

Bielema $4.2M - HC Wisc 7 years; HC Arkansas 5 yrs; 2nd year at Illinois

Frost $4.0M - haha! buyout $15 million buyout

Schiano $4.0M - HC at Rutgers for his 14th year there!

Locksley $2.5M - HC at Maryland in his 5th year

Pay big boy money to the next HC of Nebraska doesn't make any sense at all, when you consider that the Big Ten current coaches have been around and EARNED their paper! (checks!)

Michigan State appears to have over paid.  Nebraska apparently did too, but I give us credit with Frost.  Wisconsin?  I'm not so sure that they overpaid because they've had success and got a settlement for a buyout.

The winning % for Nebraska in the conference since 2015 has been pretty awful.  IMO we should not be fools and just give away $6-7-8 mil a year (which is the top tier of the conference) when there is no evidence this job calls for that kind of money.  If you win and show success, open up the vault.   

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, husker009 said:

Did you think Riley was an upgrade from Pelini after he just went 5-7?

You’re changing the topic. You started out acting like SF was a s#!t hire at the time, got called on it, then changed tour tune to 8 or 9 wins per year. You dragged Pelini into it then changed your standard to “championship caliber”. Pelini may have been good for 9 wins per year but he showed no signs of being able to, or even wanting to, getting beyond those 9 wins which just happened to come with a blowout loss or two. He wasn’t championship caliber either but that didn’t stop you from claiming Frost wasn’t a suitable replacement at the time he replaced Riley. Getting kind of dizzy here with all the goalpost movement.

As for your completely unrelated question, No, Riley wasn’t an upgrade, obviously. That has nothing to do with how you’re trying to re-write history at the time Frost was hired.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

8 minutes ago, admo said:

Tucker $9.5M - haha!

Pay big boy money to the next HC of Nebraska doesn't make any sense at all, when you consider that the Big Ten current coaches have been around and EARNED their paper! (checks!)

Michigan State appears to have over paid.  Nebraska apparently did too, but I give us credit with Frost.  Wisconsin?  I'm not so sure that they overpaid because they've had success and got a settlement for a buyout.

The winning % for Nebraska in the conference since 2015 has been pretty awful.  IMO we should not be fools and just give away $6-7-8 mil a year (which is the top tier of the conference) when there is no evidence this job calls for that kind of money.  If you win and show success, open up the vault.   

Maybe I am the outlier on this board, but I think you pay the salary commensurate with the expectations of the job.  If Trev expects NU to be in the top half of the conference, then Trev should pay that salary to that coach.  That's why the salary negotiations start at $6M.

• Plus1 5
59 minutes ago, husker009 said:

Fickell would leave for Ohio State if it opens up. That’s the only concern I would have. He checks all the boxes, though.

39 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Yep, Fickell's just biding his time at Ohio St. Lite until Day rolls out. No need to leave the state.

Everyone will leave for a better opportunity if it opens up. Would you not hire someone who would be successful if we were afraid of them leaving in a few years? No one is handing out lifetime contracts.

And Ryan Day is younger than Luke Fickell. What event would Fickell be biding his time for? 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

You’re changing the topic. You started out acting like SF was a s#!t hire at the time, got called on it, then changed tour tune to 8 or 9 wins per year. You dragged Pelini into it then changed your standard to “championship caliber”. Pelini may have been good for 9 wins per year but he showed no signs of being able to, or even wanting to, getting beyond those 9 wins which just happened to come with a blowout loss or two. He wasn’t championship caliber either but that didn’t stop you from claiming Frost wasn’t a suitable replacement at the time he replaced Riley. Getting kind of dizzy here with all the goalpost movement.

As for your completely unrelated question, No, Riley wasn’t an upgrade, obviously. That has nothing to do with how you’re trying to re-write history at the time Frost was hired.

First off, I never said Frost was a bad hire. I'm simply saying that in comparison to Bo, the coach from UCF was not  a sure upgrade. The Frost hire looked good in comparison to Riley, but that's not saying much. Prior to Frost, Riley was the worst NU coach in modern times. Not everyone worships NU players from the 90s. I shouldn't have to prove in writing that I was skeptical of the hire. Someone that has their best years in the AAC should draw automatic question marks when discussing their ability to win in the Big Ten. 

14 minutes ago, admo said:

Tucker $9.5M - haha!

Since it is often said the B1G West "sucks" we will have to pay above programs who "suck".

If a coach has to earn their paper, they will do it somewhere other than Nebraska.

.....although I'm certain the coaching community and their agents are more than familiar with Nebraska's lucrative buyout probabilities.

46 minutes ago, husker009 said:

I thought he could be a coach that won 8, 9 games a year. Post-Riley, that seemed like improvement. I never thought of him as a championship-caliber coach. The Big Ten is a giant step-up from the AAC. 

Not really. Big10 vs ACC head-to-head since 2000 is about 60/40 Big10 and near even in bowl games where the better teams played. 

Some folks also like to consider the Pac 12 the lesser conference, too, but the Pac 12 has a history of kicking Big10 a$$, especially in the big games.

The idea that the Big10 plays a dominating style of football that outsiders will find hard to match is self-flattery. It's just football.

Frost was asked to prove his undefeated UCF team against the SEC, which some consider a giant step up from the Big 10. He did.

Things famously didn't work out, but again, please go back in time and show us how you or anyone else in 2018 warned us that Scott Frost's Oregon and UCF experience was an illusion. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Maybe I am the outlier on this board, but I think you pay the salary commensurate with the expectations of the job.  If Trev expects NU to be in the top half of the conference, then Trev should pay that salary to that coach.  That's why the salary negotiations start at $6M.

Trust me brother, I totally understand that concept of thinking. Let me put it another way.

Nebraska is Soup N Salad

The other places are well established Steak and Chop Houses.

You don't pay the same Steak prices for a location that has Soup.... sitting under a heat lamp, and salad that has French dressing.  No matter how demanding the expectations for the Soup and Salad Bar is...... because it's not a Steak and Chop House.  Nobody would.

Or another way.... if you run a business, you don't pay a manager at a Soup kitchen the same as other established businesses that pay the manager of a steak house.

I'm just saying....  we have a long way to go and need to see success first and the trajectory going up and up, before we open up Fort Knox.

27 minutes ago, admo said:

Tucker $9.5M - haha!

You would be a terrible AD.

By your logic we should offer a coach $3M since it would be his first year at NU.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I think his performance incentives (speaking of) got him closer to $500K last year, but your point stands.

He is a DUDE.  For those anti Deion, Snoop was there this weekend.  Hanging out in the locker room after beating Campbell University coached by our own Mike Minter....

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1