Who should our next HC be?

9 minutes ago, The Whale said:

Not much mention of Urban Meyer on HB lately. Ya'll do know he's being seriously considered, don't ya'?

No one coaching candidate is really worth any more or less discussion than another right now. There are dozens of claims/sources surrounding several candidates. Very few people actually know what's true and what's fiction.

This thread/board is more of a reflection of the flow of conversation and collective consciousness as opposed to a correlation between a candidate's post count and their hireability.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I think you could give Mickey $5mil a year with some nice incentives, then a gigantic pool of money to hire the best assistants that he can find. 

But I'll maintain that Mickey probably needs to win at least 2 of the final 5 games to be considered for the job, and due to time restraints probably needs to win 1 of these next 2 games which will be no easy task given the turd sandwich he was handed.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, lo country said:

He is a DUDE.  For those anti Deion, Snoop was there this weekend.  Hanging out in the locker room after beating Campbell University coached by our own Mike Minter....

Yeah, to say he’s using his contacts to bring publicity to that program is an understatement. He’s had more positive national exposure in the last 2 weeks at JSU than Nebraska has had in a decade. Wouldn’t that be nice?

1 minute ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Yeah, to say he’s using his contacts to bring publicity to that program is an understatement. He’s had more positive national exposure in the last 2 weeks at JSU than Nebraska has had in a decade. Wouldn’t that be nice?

And if you actually follow him, it's all positive publicity....He's truly doing a good job.  And not just in football.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, lo country said:

He is a DUDE.  For those anti Deion, Snoop was there this weekend.  Hanging out in the locker room after beating Campbell University coached by our own Mike Minter....

If DS were hired at Nebraska, how many Husker football wins would you say having Snoop Dogg in JSU's post game locker room this past weekend correlates to? Maybe we set the over/under at 1.5?

:sarcasm

• Plus1 4

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

If DS were hired at Nebraska, how many Husker football wins would you say having Snoop Dogg in JSU's post game locker room this past weekend correlates to? Maybe we set the over/under at 1.5?

:sarcasm

Hell, in the last few years, we've gotten Keyshawn Johnson, Kurt Warner, Les Miles, Ed McCaffrey, and Rick Spielman to send their kids to play for Nebraska. We've got plenty of star power leading us to victory already! Most of them even stayed for longer than a year.

Not to mention the influence of Larry the Cable Guy. How much more celebrity do we need? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
6 hours ago, husker009 said:

Even if you’re not a fan of Bo, it is absurd to compare him with Mickey in terms of qualifications. Bo had at least proven that he could coach defense at a high level. He was the DC at NU, OU, and LSU before getting hired as NU’s HC. Mickey’s resume isn’t anything like that.

6 hours ago, skers83 said:

image.jpeg.65c2604aa3adcb2fcf17eefb6fc44990.jpeg

Yeah, Let It Bo

"You ask me to cook you a meal, but you don't let me pick the groceries"

- Bill Parcells

This is just me, but I would give Mickey Joseph the job.  Keep the unity together (in house/players/commits) and give a 4-year deal around 18-19 mil, with motivation to renegotiate / offer / extend contract handsomely should there be noticeable success trending upward.  Like we do and everybody does.  

I would let MJ retain who he want to retain (Busch, Applewhite, Beckton, Fischer for examples) and recruit assistant coaches he would want to be surrounded by that he thinks would be good for his team's success in the B1G (OC/OL/DL/LB/DC?).

Mickey is not coaching the football team for his job.  But, if he gets a contract to coach for his job/livelihood, he will definitely bring in his people to be successful at Nebraska.  I mean, one week in and he fired Chins - if that means anything at all.

Unless you have been coaching successfully in this conference, you don't have any more experience than what we currently have.  I don't care what divisions you are at right now (P5/G5/FCS)..... this conference (B1G) is just a different beast that wants you to play by their football rules.  Even Lincoln Riley would probably be frustrated and angry here and win just 7-8 games a year at best.  

IMHO Mickey is the guy.  Even if he doesn't get the job by end of season.  He will though, if upset Illinois, Minnesota and Iowa.  No question.  

• Thanks 2
  • Oh Yeah! 4

1 minute ago, admo said:

- Bill Parcells

This is just me, but I would give Mickey Joseph the job.  Keep the unity together (in house/players/commits) and give a 4-year deal around 18-19 mil, with motivation to renegotiate / offer / extend contract handsomely should there be noticeable success trending upward.  Like we do and everybody does.  

I would let MJ retain who he want to retain (Busch, Applewhite, Beckton, Fischer for examples) and recruit assistant coaches he would want to be surrounded by that he thinks would be good for his team's success in the B1G (OC/OL/DL/LB/DC?).

Mickey is not coaching the football team for his job.  But, if he gets a contract to coach for his job/livelihood, he will definitely bring in his people to be successful at Nebraska.  I mean, one week in and he fired Chins - if that means anything at all.

Unless you have been coaching successfully in this conference, you don't have any more experience than what we currently have.  I don't care what divisions you are at right now (P5/G5/FCS)..... this conference (B1G) is just a different beast that wants you to play by their football rules.  Even Lincoln Riley would probably be frustrated and angry here and win just 7-8 games a year at best.  

IMHO Mickey is the guy.  Even if he doesn't get the job by end of season.  He will though, if upset Illinois, Minnesota and Iowa.  No question.  

I like how you think. :koolaid2:

• Oh Yeah! 1
57 minutes ago, admo said:

Trust me brother, I totally understand that concept of thinking. Let me put it another way.

Nebraska is Soup N Salad

The other places are well established Steak and Chop Houses.

You don't pay the same Steak prices for a location that has Soup.... sitting under a heat lamp, and salad that has French dressing.  No matter how demanding the expectations for the Soup and Salad Bar is...... because it's not a Steak and Chop House.  Nobody would.

Or another way.... if you run a business, you don't pay a manager at a Soup kitchen the same as other established businesses that pay the manager of a steak house.

I'm just saying....  we have a long way to go and need to see success first and the trajectory going up and up, before we open up Fort Knox.

If you don’t open up your wallet, you are going to limit yourself to coaches who may be interested in the job. If Trev goes to the search firm and says “put out feelers and say we are in the $6-8 million range for the head coach and another $7-10 million for his staff” and that will get more coaches interested in the job. If you are offering a low salary, you are already limiting yourself in the candidates pool. I get your analogy, but it doesn’t make sense in this instance. This is more like an unsuccessful restaurant owner who wants to keep his place open and start making $ again, so they are willing to renovate and update the restaurant and bring in an experienced, successful chef who can change the fortunes of the restaurant. 

• Plus1 2
38 minutes ago, admo said:

- Bill Parcells

Why do you want Mickey to hold onto a number of coaches who have been part of an unsuccessful staff?  You are acting like Nebraska has no other choice but to keep doing what we’ve been doing with the same players and the same coaches. Do you not watch the same games I do? I see a lot of bad football being played, with very little talent, and absolutely no depth.  Starting over with a new staff and some loss of players may hurt in the short run, but I think it’s what is necessary in the long run. Trev isn’t thinking about what this new coach is gonna do in year 1, he’s thinking what the new coach and staff is going to do in years 2-3 and beyond. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Ulty said:

Everyone will leave for a better opportunity if it opens up. Would you not hire someone who would be successful if we were afraid of them leaving in a few years? No one is handing out lifetime contracts.

And Ryan Day is younger than Luke Fickell. What event would Fickell be biding his time for? 

Talk of Day possibly jumping to the NFL eventually