Who should our next HC be?

8 hours ago, Loebarth said:

Agree with your above post and the bold text is why I've felt all along that Trev (whom I believe is a very intelligent strategist) has always felt that MJ is the guy. Think about it, without any risk in damaging the season any further Trev is getting first hand knowledge on how MJ would lead. How athletes, media, administration personnel, B1G officials, etc.. etc... react and truth is, MJ is "ok" with a slightly lesser contract that is incentive driven, heck he's come out and said he wants his coaching staff taken care of. (First the athletes, then the coaches, then administrators and he'll take whats left).. Is this not an AD's perfect scenario? Personally, I'm a Dan Lanning fan (Oregon's HC) and not far behind him is Kalen DeBoer (Washington's HC). After that I really don't think any other mentioned coaches (maybe Lane, Rhule) bring anymore calm to Trev's decision. Lance, Aranda, Doeren all have Head Coaching experience but also haven't really won anything. Monken (Army HC) imo has as much upside as Liepold, Aranda, Doeren and also runs an offense much like Bo did... We don't know what offense MJ would implement if he's hired but there's someone that does, Trev.. 

I honestly think, when the dust settles, regardless of whom is hired, in the end MJ will be able to say "I did my best" and yes, imo, I hope he says that in 2040 after winning 3 naty's :):woo:wasted

5 hours ago, admo said:

"You ask me to cook you a meal, but you don't let me pick the groceries"

- Bill Parcells

This is just me, but I would give Mickey Joseph the job.  Keep the unity together (in house/players/commits) and give a 4-year deal around 18-19 mil, with motivation to renegotiate / offer / extend contract handsomely should there be noticeable success trending upward.  Like we do and everybody does.  

I would let MJ retain who he want to retain (Busch, Applewhite, Beckton, Fischer for examples) and recruit assistant coaches he would want to be surrounded by that he thinks would be good for his team's success in the B1G (OC/OL/DL/LB/DC?).

Mickey is not coaching the football team for his job.  But, if he gets a contract to coach for his job/livelihood, he will definitely bring in his people to be successful at Nebraska.  I mean, one week in and he fired Chins - if that means anything at all.

Unless you have been coaching successfully in this conference, you don't have any more experience than what we currently have.  I don't care what divisions you are at right now (P5/G5/FCS)..... this conference (B1G) is just a different beast that wants you to play by their football rules.  Even Lincoln Riley would probably be frustrated and angry here and win just 7-8 games a year at best.  

IMHO Mickey is the guy.  Even if he doesn't get the job by end of season.  He will though, if upset Illinois, Minnesota and Iowa.  No question.  

4 hours ago, admo said:

Stop making things so complicated when it really isn't so difficult to see.  We need a leader (Mickey), with a CEO "hands off approach with assistants" (Mickey), a super awesome recruiter for talent and coaches (Mickey), a leader of young men (Mickey), a coach who has been around a lot of winning (Micky) and an ex-Husker who loves Nebraska football (Mickey) and a person who will put his best effort into the program (Mickey) and a coach that players love to play for (Mickey). 

Mickey might have amazing thoughts about how he wants his offense and defense to play in 2023 and beyond, and I can only hope Trev will be wise enough to listen.

I’ll drink the cool aid with you!

I’m curious to see what MJ would do with this team with a full off-season under his belt. Does he have what it takes to be the permanent HC? I’m not 100% convinced yet but there’s still games to be played.

Right now there are definitely a few coaches I would take over MJ.

#1. Luke Fickell. He’s proven he can lead a team to the playoffs, even though they got walloped by ‘Bama. Now, “Does he want to come here?”, is a legitimate question. Make him say no to us (which is probably more than likely as I’ve gathered he doesn’t seem to want to leave the state of Ohio).

#2. Mike Gundy. Gundy has proven he can consistently get his teams to play at a high level while being at the “second fiddle” program in Oklahoma. He only has 1 losing season (his first) and 7 ten win seasons in 18 so far with the Cowboys. I’d be intrigued to see what he could do in Lincoln with our resources. Legitimate concerns would be can he recruit elite level talent to Lincoln? Are our resources really that much better than Okie State’s? Also, he hasn’t yet proven he can crack through to the playoffs, but he’s been “close”. Lastly, would he consider leaving his alma mater for NU? I don’t know, but I think it could be more likely than Fickell leaving Cincy for NU (no source, just my gut).

#3. Chris Petersen. I like what he did at Boise State and he certainly seemed to have things rolling smoothly in Washington before burning out in 2019. If the rumors are true and there’s actually mutual interest this would be a hire that would make me happy. My concerns would be does he suffer from burnout again after a few seasons and would what he accomplished on the west coast translate to the B1G? It may be valuable to have a coach who knows how to beat USC & UCLA.

#4/5. Matt Rhule or Mickey Joseph? If the top three say no I would really have to debate between offering Rhule or just keeping Joseph. I like Rhule’s approach to building a roster and think he could probably build a competent program here at Nebraska. The thing is he hasn’t stayed anywhere long enough for me to feel 100% confident in the hire. I’m putting Rhule ahead of MJ for now, but if Joseph gets us to six wins I say roll with Joseph (unless one of the top three say yes).

There’s plenty of decent coaches with varying degrees of success in the rest of the field. There’s probably a few who would be interested and could build decent teams and get us those 9 win seasons like Pelini did. A lot of those coaches are only in their first or second season at their current school and haven’t proven sustained success at the P5 level yet (Aranda/Kiffin/Klieman/Leipold/DeBoer/Lanning) or have plateaued and may be slowly falling (Campbell?). Others have had good seasons but I don’t think they would bring anything particularly special to the table as far as recruiting goes (Clawson/Doeren/Malzahn/Stoops). Would any of these coaches fare any better in our current situation than Mickey Joseph has? If any of them were thrust into the HC position before the Oklahoma game how would they perform with our roster? I really don’t know. That’s why I’m willing to give MJ a shot next year ahead of most of these guys (at least right now I am). Of course if the rest of the season goes to complete crap I can easily change my mind.

I want MJ and the Huskers to succeed but understand it’s a daunting task. It would be a daunting task for anyone, it seems. I’m legitimately curious to see what MJ could do next season as the HC. If it appears it’s not going to work next season, and we have to go through this again, some of those other coaches will have another year of data to go on so Alberts can make an even more informed evaluation. Do we risk that and give the less experienced Mickey Joseph the reigns? Right now, I’m willing to drink a couple cool-aids and see what happens.

Time will tell. Go Big Red!!!

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

10 hours ago, Ulty said:

Hell, in the last few years, we've gotten Keyshawn Johnson, Kurt Warner, Les Miles, Ed McCaffrey, and Rick Spielman to send their kids to play for Nebraska. We've got plenty of star power leading us to victory already! Most of them even stayed for longer than a year.

Not to mention the influence of Larry the Cable Guy. How much more celebrity do we need? 

Hahaha I was actually referring more to the crazy media tour he's got going there over the last couple weeks...

60 Minutes interview with Deion

Good Morning America interview with Deion, Shedeur Sanders, and Travis Hunter

FOX Big Noon Kickoff interview with Shedeur Sanders

ESPN College Gameday announcement

Having celebrities in attendance for homecoming was just a bonus. Deion has that train rolling full steam ahead right now. And yes, most of today's student athletes prefer Snoop Dogg, Rick Ross, and Yella Beezy to Larry the Cable Guy LOL

• TBH 1
10 hours ago, admo said:

"You ask me to cook you a meal, but you don't let me pick the groceries"

- Bill Parcells

This is just me, but I would give Mickey Joseph the job.  Keep the unity together (in house/players/commits) and give a 4-year deal around 18-19 mil, with motivation to renegotiate / offer / extend contract handsomely should there be noticeable success trending upward.  Like we do and everybody does.  

I would let MJ retain who he want to retain (Busch, Applewhite, Beckton, Fischer for examples) and recruit assistant coaches he would want to be surrounded by that he thinks would be good for his team's success in the B1G (OC/OL/DL/LB/DC?).

Mickey is not coaching the football team for his job.  But, if he gets a contract to coach for his job/livelihood, he will definitely bring in his people to be successful at Nebraska.  I mean, one week in and he fired Chins - if that means anything at all.

Unless you have been coaching successfully in this conference, you don't have any more experience than what we currently have.  I don't care what divisions you are at right now (P5/G5/FCS)..... this conference (B1G) is just a different beast that wants you to play by their football rules.  Even Lincoln Riley would probably be frustrated and angry here and win just 7-8 games a year at best.  

IMHO Mickey is the guy.  Even if he doesn't get the job by end of season.  He will though, if upset Illinois, Minnesota and Iowa.  No question.  

No offense, but you might want to find a new dealer.

10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Why do you want Mickey to hold onto a number of coaches who have been part of an unsuccessful staff?  You are acting like Nebraska has no other choice but to keep doing what we’ve been doing with the same players and the same coaches. Do you not watch the same games I do? I see a lot of bad football being played, with very little talent, and absolutely no depth.  Starting over with a new staff and some loss of players may hurt in the short run, but I think it’s what is necessary in the long run. Trev isn’t thinking about what this new coach is gonna do in year 1, he’s thinking what the new coach and staff is going to do in years 2-3 and beyond. 

Spot on. All this talk about Mickey is the guy and he should keep several members of the staff and try not to lose any players. It's like some of our fans have some sort of weird stockholm syndrome or something.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, admo said:

Stop making things so complicated when it really isn't so difficult to see.  We need a leader (Mickey), with a CEO "hands off approach with assistants" (Mickey), a super awesome recruiter for talent and coaches (Mickey), a leader of young men (Mickey), a coach who has been around a lot of winning (Micky) and an ex-Husker who loves Nebraska football (Mickey) and a person who will put his best effort into the program (Mickey) and a coach that players love to play for (Mickey). 

Mickey might have amazing thoughts about how he wants his offense and defense to play in 2023 and beyond, and I can only hope Trev will be wise enough to listen.

You do realize that you can plug just about every coaching candidate's name into where you have Mickey right? Minus the ex-husker part which means squat for actual success. And there are a ton of candidates that check all those boxes but actually have some successful experience as a head coach.

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, lo country said:

I'd have no issue with an NFL guy tbh.  Harbaugh is a weird dude, but I'd like Michigans record or his time at Stanford......Cally for all the hate (Me included) had the O clicking.  He brought his buddy Coz.  Had he brought a legit DC, he might still be here.  Kellen Moore for example is making 2 million/year at Dallas as OC.  

One thing I like is an outside source is helping.  It's been REALLY quiet so whatever is going on is being done without leaks.  I really liked when he said he knows a lot of folks and will get their opinions.  I am hoping this not only includes the coach, but possible offensive/defensive schemes....

I am all on board with a rising star young NFL guy like Kellen Moore.  Keep Mickey and get the best offense/defense lines coaches.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Hahaha I was actually referring more to the crazy media tour he's got going there over the last couple weeks...

60 Minutes interview with Deion

Good Morning America interview with Deion, Shedeur Sanders, and Travis Hunter

FOX Big Noon Kickoff interview with Shedeur Sanders

ESPN College Gameday announcement

Having celebrities in attendance for homecoming was just a bonus. Deion has that train rolling full steam ahead right now. And yes, most of today's student athletes prefer Snoop Dogg, Rick Ross, and Yella Beezy to Larry the Cable Guy LOL

Do most of today's student athletes really know who Snoop Dogg is?  Besides the guy in the Corona commercials.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Do most of today's student athletes really know who Snoop Dogg is?  Besides the guy in the Corona commercials.

More so than Larry the Cable Guy? Yes.

I know that was a joke, but I do think kids love that kind of stuff. I don't really consider celebrity connections as that much of a tangible checkmark in the pros column for Deion. But I guess it can't hurt with recruiting.

What I do consider a legitimate checkmark is Deion's invaluable connections with the media. The kind of national publicity he brings is priceless. Nick Saban was/is the king of that kind of stuff. Especially early in his career, it was mind blowing how many media appearances Saban was making. He understood the value it brings to a program. Four major national media appearances over the last two weeks at a place like Jackson State is really remarkable.

18 hours ago, schriznoeder said:

Let's see here...

• Base salary of $1M
  • $500K bonus for each win up to 6 wins
  • $750K bonus for each win 7-10
  • $1M bonus for each win 11-12
  • $500K bonus for winning B1G West
  • $1M bonus for winning B1G
  • $1.5M bonus for making CFP
  • $3.0M bonus for winning CFP

NOTE: All bonuses are cumulative.

So, win 7 games, make $4.75M. Go undefeated and win it all, make $15M. Seems pretty fair to me.

Like your approach. Creative! This is one I was playing around with last night.

The “HATE TO LOSE” Plan (Draft 1)

4 Year Contact 

Signing Bonus
$210,000

Base Salary 
$350,000/Mo
($4,200,000/Yr)

Non Conference Game Win

$187,000/Game

Conference Game Win 

$343,750/Game

Bowl Win 

$265,625

Western Division Champ

$304,688

BIG 10 Champ 

$453,032

CFP Champs  

$906,064

*Potential Total Compensation
$9,629,409

*Includes
$7,200,000

Discretionary Staff Budget

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

What I do consider a legitimate checkmark is Deion's invaluable connections with the media. The kind of national publicity he brings is priceless. Nick Saban was/is the king of that kind of stuff. Especially early in his career, it was mind blowing how many media appearances Saban was making. He understood the value it brings to a program. Four major national media appearances over the last two weeks at a place like Jackson State is really remarkable.

While I do agree with you, it's an asset that quickly becomes less relevant as soon you lose and lose consistently, and that's why I don't put much stock into it from a hiring standpoint. It's valuable, but, you could bank on perhaps one guaranteed off-season of value, but after a 5-7 season or even a few seasons of mediocrity... far fewer people are going to care. Saban's press runs and movie appearances were a result of winning. DS' recent media frenzy is a result of him being a HoF player in tandem with his Jackson State success - if it wasn't somebody with the celebrity of DS, far fewer people would care about Jackson State's football coach/program.

So yeah, the publicity and connections are great, but at this point in my 30+ years of Husker fandom... it just doesn't resonate very deeply. I'm kind of done with the off-season championships and hype before the results. That should be fairly far down the DS resumé and reasons why you'd hire him at Nebraska... probably parked right next to 'proficient with Excel.'

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
8 minutes ago, M.A. said:

4 Year Contact 

Signing Bonus
$210,000

Base Salary 
$350,000/Mo
($4,200,000/Yr)

Non Conference Game Win

$187,000/Game

Conference Game Win 

$343,750/Game

Bowl Win 

$265,625

Western Division Champ

$304,688

BIG 10 Champ 

$453,032

CFP Champs  

$906,064

$9,629,409

*Includes
$6,500,000

Won't be long until somebody figures out how to create a similar scheme to incentivize/reward all the players via the N.I.L. piles of money.

• Fire 1
3 minutes ago, M.A. said:

4 Year Contact 

Signing Bonus
$210,000

Base Salary 
$350,000/Mo
($4,200,000/Yr)

Non Conference Game Win

$187,000/Game

Conference Game Win 

$343,750/Game

Bowl Win 

$265,625

Western Division Champ

$304,688

BIG 10 Champ 

$453,032

CFP Champs  

$906,064

$9,629,409

*Includes
$6,500,000

We were doing the same the other night...

3 million per year base.

500k per win from 7-9

1 million bonus for wins 10-12

1.5 million bonus for conference championship win

2 million bonus for playoff appearance

4 million bonus for winning it all

Potential total compensation = 15 million

Total potential compensation for a coach not reaching the playoff = 9.5 million

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1