Who should our next HC be?

On 10/24/2022 at 4:29 PM, HuskermanMike said:

Fair enough, BOB has a great resume. He is getting carried by superior athletes. But the defense is arguably worse with said athletes. Not my first choice but he makes the list with that experience. The real difference is he has been with Saban and that experience should change him for the better.

I don't get the take on Mullen. Was really close to beating an unbeatable Alabama team in 2020 and was a DC away from still being at Florida. He got fired way too quick. It would have been like us firing Frost after 2019. Although, I think he would have been a better hire for us in 2014 and it seems he may still want some time away from coaching. 

Mullen hates recruiting. You can skate in SEC country and get guys but not to Nebraska.  He could surround himself with superior recruiters like Mickey but eventually he will need to meet and smooth talk parents 

Mullen was in a recruiting hotbed in Florida, but he couldn’t seem to put it together outside of 2020. The rest of his years there were middle of the road. His offenses are good, but he yes yet to prove he can handle HC responsibilities at a big name program like Florida or Nebraska. It’s a different kind of pressure coaching at those places when compared to Mississippi State.

9 hours ago, M.A. said:

Originally I thought around 11/28…

Now I’m thinking a week prior to the last game.

I don't think there's any way an official announcement comes before the end of the regular season, unless it's Mickey.

Outside of that, it depends who the coach is. If it's someone who doesn't have any meaningful games left (conf championships and/or playoffs or not coaching), it'll be 11/26 or 11/27. If it's a head coach who still has meaningful games left, it'll be after said meaningful game(s). Could go into January.

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Can we technically put the new HC on the payroll? If it is someone not coaching why would we not do this? He’d probably be interviewed everywhere and the free press would be good.  

Just looking at the timeline when Urban went to OSU, there must be some rules against this (he was announced after the regular season despite it having been a done deal for some time). Plus I think we owe it to Mickey and this team to let them have the rest of the regular season.

4 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Every day I look at message boards, social media - every place possible - for news of Nebraska’s next head football coach. There is very little in the way of tangible evidence of who it will be.

Regardless of whom is hired, Nebraska fans should prepare themselves for disappointment.

The problem isn’t that there aren’t quality coaches available; the problem is the likelihood of it being “your guy” is very low.

Add to that - by the time Trev Alberts makes this announcement, the subject of “Nebraska’s next head football coach” will have been beaten to death to the point we’ll be tired of it. AND we will have built a list of negativity about every potential candidate so that no one looks like they’d be a good hire.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Lol.  Stevie P ain't running this search.

So, you're taking every coach off the board who may still be coaching in January? Seems smart.

Thankfully for us, Trev already said he's not letting timeline dictate this big of a decision. You don't pass on an A coach and settle for a B coach just because you can get him a month earlier.

Just now, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

So, you're taking every coach off the board who may still be coaching in January? Seems smart.

Thankfully for us, Trev already said he's not letting timeline dictate this big of a decision. You don't pass on an A coach and settle for a B coach just because you can get him a month earlier.

You think we are hiring one of the 4 coaches that are in the playoff?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
50 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I don't think there's any way an official announcement comes before the end of the regular season, unless it's Mickey.

Outside of that, it depends who the coach is. If it's someone who doesn't have any meaningful games left (conf championships and/or playoffs or not coaching), it'll be 11/26 or 11/27. If it's a head coach who still has meaningful games left, it'll be after said meaningful game(s). Could go into January.

Wouldn’t earlier be better ahead of the early signing period? If it were Mickey you could afford waiting to announce later. It made sense listening to Adam Charriker. I just don’t see the search being extending into January.

2 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Wouldn’t earlier be better ahead of the early signing period? If it were Mickey you could afford waiting to announce later. It made sense listening to Adam Charriker. I just don’t see the search being extending into January.

I don't know all the rules, but I don't think you can announce before the end of the regular season. Just going by how OSU did it with Urban and USC did it with Riley. I can't think of a time it's ever been done but I could be wrong. I think you can probably remove the interim tag from Mickey sooner, but I don't even know about that. If we're doing that, it would be in our best interest to do it as soon as possible.

5 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I don't know all the rules, but I don't think you can announce before the end of the regular season. Just going by how OSU did it with Urban and USC did it with Riley. I can't think of a time it's ever been done but I could be wrong. I think you can probably remove the interim tag from Mickey sooner, but I don't even know about that. If we're doing that, it would be in our best interest to do it as soon as possible.

Going strictly off memory but urban was hired before the end of the season but didn't assume the full role of the position allowing him to recruit while fickell continued as the interim. They had to get permission from the ncaa for it. Then after the season urban took full control.

• Fire 1