Who should our next HC be?

38 minutes ago, Spacer said:

I don't know Mickey's recruiting history; so I'm going off everyone's word that he is a top recruiter (with some proof via his short time at Neb.)

However, Does anyone know his track record when it comes to recruiting Linemen, specifically, Offensive linemen?

This MUST be addressed; and addressed fast... Mickey touched a little on it, talking about JUCO possibilities.

I'm guessing he wasn't walking through many OL doorways as the receivers coach.  I'm not sold on MJ yet but I do have confidence he can recruit to any position.  He is a genuine guy that develops relationships quickly.

Just now, Hilltop said:

I'm guessing he wasn't walking through many OL doorways as the receivers coach.  I'm not sold on MJ yet but I do have confidence he can recruit to any position.  He is a genuine guy that develops relationships quickly.

That depends on if the coaches recruit by position or by location. If Mickey was assigned Louisiana and other areas in the South for LSU, he probably initiated contact with plenty of o-line and d-line recruits. Then the school can add the o-line coach for further discussion about the position and the recruit’s potential role on the team. 

• Plus1 1

I, perhaps like many of you, are torn about MJ's future at Nebraska.  I have Pros and Cons.  I see good reason to keep him as HC and also

I see reasons why we shouldn't even if he finishes the year strong.  Some of my thoughts: 

PRO if MJ is Retained as HC

1.That means he finished the year strong

2.His players obviously respect and look up to him

3.He is a great recruiter and developer of WR talent 

4.He appears to be a good leader/example to young men & not afraid to make changes

5. He has a high floor - organized, communicates well, passionate, person of character

6.He's a player from our past who is passionate about Nebraska

CON if MJ is Retained as HC

1.He will be learning the HC gig on the fly - difficult to do at a high profile P5 school like Nebraska

2.Missed/Lost Opportunity:  Would we always be thinking - we could have done better. Gotten that big/mid name successful coach??

3.No track record established that he could win consistently even if he finished the year strong (6-6 --Yes I know our standards have changed:facepalm:)

4.Long term recruiting affect: MJ is great one on one, but will recruits see his hiring as a statement that Neb isn't willing to do what it takes to get to the top and compete wt Ohio State, Mich, USC, PSU in our conference and  Bama, Clemson and Georgia & similar types outside of our conference.

5.We don't know his ceiling 

6. He's a player from our past - will that be a hindrance from doing new things

I'm very familiar with him and I'm hoping that he'll stay at Nebraska and I can help him to get a jump start on some of our top players. I'd love to see my school become a pipeline to Nebraska. I also have no doubt in his recruiting ability because I've witnessed it firsthand. That said, I'm just not sure that he's head coach material, at least not on the level we need to be a championship-caliber team.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I, perhaps like many of you, are torn about MJ's future at Nebraska.  I have Pros and Cons.  I see good reason to keep him as HC and also

I see reasons why we shouldn't even if he finishes the year strong.  Some of my thoughts: 

PRO if MJ is Retained as HC

1.That means he finished the year strong

2.His players obviously respect and look up to him

3.He is a great recruiter and developer of WR talent 

4.He appears to be a good leader/example to young men & not afraid to make changes

5. He has a high floor - organized, communicates well, passionate, person of character

6.He's a player from our past who is passionate about Nebraska

CON if MJ is Retained as HC

1.He will be learning the HC gig on the fly - difficult to do at a high profile P5 school like Nebraska

2.Missed/Lost Opportunity:  Would we always be thinking - we could have done better. Gotten that big/mid name successful coach??

3.No track record established that he could win consistently even if he finished the year strong (6-6 --Yes I know our standards have changed:facepalm:)

4.Long term recruiting affect: MJ is great one on one, but will recruits see his hiring as a statement that Neb isn't willing to do what it takes to get to the top and compete wt Ohio State, Mich, USC, PSU in our conference and  Bama, Clemson and Georgia & similar types outside of our conference.

5.We don't know his ceiling 

6. He's a player from our past - will that be a hindrance from doing new things

I think you can add to the pros list that he will surround himself with like minded recruiters and developers as he had said so much in an interview earlier this season with Clint Cosgrove about his coaching style and experience. He does have a CEO mentality so I could see the search firm Trev hired also being utilized for possible assistants to join him if he is indeed named head coach and not just for head hunting a new head coach.  

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I'm not sold yet, either (how can any of us be with 5 big games remaining).

if he can recruit lineman, I feel he should be doing that. If MJ can be a top tier O-line recruiter, I'd rather have him focusing on that, rather than skill positions, tbh.

Not sure if that means he will need to be transitioned to OC (if not named HC), rather than WR coach... maybe RB coach?

I have NO CLUE as to how position coaches work in accordance with recruiting.

Do WR/QB coaches do o-line recruiting? Do DB coached recruit edge rushers?

2 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

I think you can add to the pros list that he will surround himself with like minded recruiters and developers as he had said so much in an interview earlier this season with Clint Cosgrove about his coaching style and experience. He does have a CEO mentality so I could see the search firm Trev hired also being utilized for possible assistants to join him if he is indeed named head coach and not just for head hunting a new head coach.  

Yes, I saw that interview and was impressed with MJ.  If he can bring on big name DC/OC that would be great if he is retained. I would think that would have to be a part of the announcement Trev makes if MJ is retained to offset the cries for a big name guy.  Package MJ wt dynamic OC/DC.  And yet, there is no guaranty that could happen - that once MJ is named as HC that he would attract the best names to what has become a football coach grinder at Nebraska. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, I saw that interview and was impressed with MJ.  If he can bring on big name DC/OC that would be great if he is retained. I would think that would have to be a part of the announcement Trev makes if MJ is retained to offset the cries for a big name guy.  Package MJ wt dynamic OC/DC.  And yet, there is no guaranty that could happen - that once MJ is named as HC that he would attract the best names to what has become a football coach grinder at Nebraska. 

Chris peterson - OC

Ed Orgeron - DC

Ndamukong Suh - DL coach (if not signed to NFL team)

Richie Incognito - OL coach (to bring gritt)

we're set!!! :thumbs

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, huskerpower22 said:

In regards to Mickey's candidacy, there was a pretty good listen on 93.7 the ticket this morning on Early Break with an interview with Ross Delinger from SI who spent last weekend in Lincoln and was invited to a few team meetings with Mickey Joseph. Lets you into the way Mickey is leading right now from a national view. The link is below if anyone is interested:

https://redcircle.com/shows/early-break-93-7-the-ticket-kntk2453/episodes/7f6d1985-25ba-4374-9e41-2704f5d7228f

I agree. Listened to it earlier and found it to be pretty interesting. Article to be published tomorrow.

23 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm very familiar with him and I'm hoping that he'll stay at Nebraska and I can help him to get a jump start on some of our top players. I'd love to see my school become a pipeline to Nebraska. I also have no doubt in his recruiting ability because I've witnessed it firsthand. That said, I'm just not sure that he's head coach material, at least not on the level we need to be a championship-caliber team.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm just not sure that he's head coach material, at least not on the level we need to be a championship-caliber team.

He wouldn’t even be in the conversation for head coach for 100% of P5 programs, probably 100% of all FBS programs. Let alone a program like Nebraska. Some of these guys are too close to it to be objective.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I really like Lane too, and I think he's done a good job of changing his image in recent years.  I am not sure what questionable morals or character he supposedly has, but many of the "negatives" were when he was a younger coach, and he was trying to establish himself in coaching.  He was offered great jobs and he took them.  Since then he's gone down to a lower level, won there, and is now winning at Ole Miss.

Even if people cast him as a "job hopper" I would be fine with him coming to NU for only a few years if he left NU in a better place.

Callahan and John Blake proved that it is still possible to recruit an elite class to Nebraska. If the chosen candidate is truly the right guy, the recruiting will take care of itself. Results on the field and national perception also matter. If the hire is perceived as bad along with NU's recent mediocrity, the recruiting will remain average. If the chosen candidate has a proven track record of winning and the hire gets national praise, the recruiting will almost instantly improve. More than anything, NU needs to change the perception young players have of NU, which is a losing program. An entire generation of recruits do not remember the 90s or early 2000s for NU, so fixing the perception of the program along with a hire that gets national praise are the keys for NU returning to contender status. In my opinion, Mickey would be considered a "safe" hire and add to the narrative that NU can't let go of the past. This would do the program no favors in the long run in my view. With this hire, NU can not only hire a qualified candidate, but also announce that they are not leaning on the past anymore and are willing to forge a new identity for the modern era of college football. With the booster support, fan support, facility upgrades, and new Big Ten TV deal, NU is in a position to make a solid hire here.

• Plus1 1