Who should our next HC be?

20 minutes ago, lo country said:

Maybe it's just me, but I do not think NU is the "destination" coaching job we make it out to be.  We are now potentially going into year 6 without a bowl game.....Have a horrific record in the B1G.  Unsure which teams we have a winning record against.  Maryland, Rutgers and Indiana?  Illinois on the rise.  We are quickly becoming a bottom feeder in the B1G and potentially in the P5 right now.  Been a Husker fan for a long, long time, but the Husker brand has been tarnished by Riley and Frost.  

Most wining coaches have egos.  Maybe this would get one to come here, but looking at where they are, what they have and the expectations boosters, fans, etc have on them is no where near this fan base.  We are 400+ pages into a new coaching search.  Unsure any of the schools whose coaches we are looking at would be anywhere close to this number.

As @admo mentioned regarding the moves of OU and Texas to the SEC making it "easier" in the Big 12 to win.  Now look at the B1G adding USC and UCLA.  The road just got harder to win in the B1G.  At least for NU in it's current state.  That's an uphill battle for any coach. Throw in we are basically dead last in defensive categories and one of the worst OL's going (and no depth) we are in a complete rebuild mode for a new coach.  Advantage for MJ is that he is the ringmaster of the circus snd should know better than anyone what we need.  

I wouldn't rule out a "home run" hire, but I am tempering my expectations. We need an ace recruiter (Urb/Deion) or a guy who can make chicken salad out of chicken crap and develop the talent that we have on paper that Frost and Co were unable to develop.  

All valid, but at this point, I'll still argue it's the best job available or likely to be available. Unlike last year would have been, we should have the advantage in the market this year which is a pretty big deal.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

All valid, but at this point, I'll still argue it's the best job available or likely to be available. Unlike last year would have been, we should have the advantage in the market this year which is a pretty big deal.

I can't disagree that we are possibly the best job available.  But unsure if that translates to any of the coaches we have mentioned even being interested.  Doesn't matter how much we "want" them if they don't "want" us.

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Totally disagree in the 12 team playoff world.

1, maybe 2, Big 12 teams will get into the playoff each year.

3, maybe 4, Big Ten teams will get into the playoff each year.  

Also the money difference between conferences is going to be HUGE in the coming few years.  There is going to be a Big D!(k 2, Middle 3, and then G5.  That money just means way more resources.  The recruiting budgets will be night and day different.  Hell, the B1G is floating revenue sharing with players.

In the B1G right now, OSU, Michigan, PSU, Wisky, Minnie, Iowa, Purdue, Illinois, are all better than NU. I do not see those teams getting worse.  Big 12, TCU, Baylor, Okie State, KSU, maybe even KU or Iowa beat NU as we are right now.  Not factoring in USC and UCLA making the move to the B1G.

We haven't won a division since Bo was here.  I do not see is suddenly in the CFP in the next few years.  But that's just me.  Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle and get the next Dabo.

9 minutes ago, lo country said:

In the B1G right now, OSU, Michigan, PSU, Wisky, Minnie, Iowa, Purdue, Illinois, are all better than NU. I do not see those teams getting worse.  Big 12, TCU, Baylor, Okie State, KSU, maybe even KU or Iowa beat NU as we are right now.  Not factoring in USC and UCLA making the move to the B1G.

We haven't won a division since Bo was here.  I do not see is suddenly in the CFP in the next few years.  But that's just me.  Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle and get the next Dabo.

Assuming you mean Mickey? So, you're just dismissing the top names out of hand then? I can make a pretty solid argument for why most of them would want to come to Nebraska...

• Urban - If he wants to get back into coaching, I don't see a better option than Nebraska
  • Rhule - Assuming he wants to coach college this year and not just sit around and count his Panther money, I don't see a better option than Nebraska
  • Deion - Nebraska is a huge upgrade over his current situation and probably no better options (maybe Auburn)
  • Petersen - If he's ready to coach again and be done with broadcasting, I don't see a better option than Nebraska
  • Kiffin - Probably the longest shot. People have talked about the MS salary cap, but I've also seen booster money toward his salary makes that a moot point
  • Fickell - Nebraska is a big upgrade over Cincinnati, assuming his wife would leave OH and blah blah blah
  • Chadwell - Nebraska is a huge upgrade over his current situation

Seems to me like we at least have about a 1 in 6 shot of getting someone better than having to settle for Mickey. Or having to hope we can catch lightning in a bottle as you said.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

A great HC can become a legend with the restoration of Nebraska.  The opportunity is unique really. The money is as good as it gets. It’s the only show in town.  

It’s still Nebraska.  And with the past 6 years, nobody will have stupid (unrealistic) expectations that matter.  Dam few will seriously believe the only problem was Frost and it’s going to be simple to start winning Big Ten championships.  So the next coach will get time to turn things around.  The program is bottomed out.  It can be restored but it’s 5 years to a a top three big 10 status. Next year could be worse before it gets better on the line of scrimmage.  There are decent players in some positions but not many.  The portal helped temporarily at QB and RB and WR. But those haven’t been the problem frankly.  It’s everywhere else that recruiting was almost nonexistent.  Maybe they can portal the LOS quicker but I’d think that’s a three year project at a minimum.  

But a great coach can certainly look at Neb fb as an opportunity to become one of the elites. Few other places offer this. Imo. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I'm not talking about top 25 rankings right at this very instance.  I am talking about better football programs overall (money, university commitment, boosters, fan support).  95 coaches out of 100 would choose NU over Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue.  Just like 95 out of 100 coaches would choose OSU or Michigan over NU.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Assuming you mean Mickey? So, you're just dismissing the top names out of hand then? I can make a pretty solid argument for why most of them would want to come to Nebraska...

• Urban - If he wants to get back into coaching, I don't see a better option than Nebraska
  • Rhule - Assuming he wants to coach college this year and not just sit around and count his Panther money, I don't see a better option than Nebraska
  • Deion - Nebraska is a huge upgrade over his current situation and probably no better options (maybe Auburn)
  • Petersen - If he's ready to coach again and be done with broadcasting, I don't see a better option than Nebraska
  • Kiffin - Probably the longest shot. People have talked about the MS salary cap, but I've also seen booster money toward his salary makes that a moot point
  • Fickell - Nebraska is a big upgrade over Cincinnati, assuming his wife would leave OH and blah blah blah

Seems to me like we at least have about a 1 in 6 shot of getting someone better than having to settle for Mickey. Or having to hope we can catch lightning in a bottle as you said.

I don't think any of these coaches (minus chadwell & deion) will make any moves until the Alabama job opens up.  I'm not saying Saban is going to retire this year, but it certainly seems like his years are somewhat numbered.  He's 70 years old and his years of dominating the SEC with superior physical talent are dwindling.  Not saying the team isn't full of studs, but NIL deals have brought some parity to the talent landscape in the SEC.

Whenever he retires, there will be a trail of jobs that open assuming Bama goes full brinks truck to hire Smart or Dabo, leaving another top 5 job open for those other candidates.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, lo country said:

There is Ohio state. (Clearly a notch above all)

then the next level is Michigan. (Getting to Ohio state level but need to see a couple more years of this)

then penn state- consistently ranked high yet consistently gets embarrassed by Osu or Michigan.

and then there’s everyone else. I don’t think any coach who’s worth their weight looks at the other schools u mentioned as being clearly superior:

wisconsin- downward trajectory, just canned their coach

iowa- steep downhill trajectory, own coach sabotaged the progrum due to nepotism

minn/Purdue- haven’t done s#!t, if we had our s#!t in line we’d be .900 winning % against them the past 7 years

illinois- only team trending up in the west. Still has glaring holes (they lost to Indiana for f sake)

if a coach looks at this gauntlet (outside of osu) and thinks he doesn’t have the levers to overcome them at Nebraska then he isn’t a coach we should even entertain. This is by far the most advantageous division due to how s#!t the rest of the teams r yet still has the platform Of the big 10, even with usc/UCLA in the mix

• Plus1 1

Damn. Sounds like they’re all beating down the door to coach here.  Man, and here I am all worried that Trev might have his work cut out for him convincing a coach to come here. 

• Plus1 1

So early on, Gary Patterson's name was mentioned as a possible candidate. I haven't seen that in a while. Did I miss something where he was somehow eliminated? It seems to me, he'd be more likely to accept the job than Urban or Peterson. 

30 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

I don't think any of these coaches (minus chadwell & deion) will make any moves until the Alabama job opens up.  I'm not saying Saban is going to retire this year, but it certainly seems like his years are somewhat numbered.  He's 70 years old and his years of dominating the SEC with superior physical talent are dwindling.  Not saying the team isn't full of studs, but NIL deals have brought some parity to the talent landscape in the SEC.

Whenever he retires, there will be a trail of jobs that open assuming Bama goes full brinks truck to hire Smart or Dabo, leaving another top 5 job open for those other candidates.  

Well they can’t all take the Alabama job. Dabo might be likely, so that opens up Clemson. Still leaves quite a few of those names without a better option.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Totally disagree in the 12 team playoff world.

1, maybe 2, Big 12 teams will get into the playoff each year.

3, maybe 4, Big Ten teams will get into the playoff each year.  

Also the money difference between conferences is going to be HUGE in the coming few years.  There is going to be a Big D!(k 2, Middle 3, and then G5.  That money just means way more resources.  The recruiting budgets will be night and day different.  Hell, the B1G is floating revenue sharing with players.

Yep..."winning" the conference no longer matters.

Avoiding the dreaded 3rd loss is all that will matter.

10-2 Big Ten team is going to be in the playoff every single year.

• TBH 1