Who should our next HC be?

1 minute ago, huskerfan74 said:

At this point, unless we can clone Nick Saban and bring him to Lincoln, it looks pretty doom and gloom. 

What would he do with this team? What could he do with this team? I think the answer is not much better than what we see every week. It's awful. Look at the teams we make fun of...Kansas, Illinois, even Minnesota. They are improving and we are going backwards in a freefall. That can't simply be coaching. It's systemic in my opinion. Our entire program is a shambles.

29 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Who is the best head coach we could get that would work the best with mickey, someone who could build on what mickey has begun to build here.  Without mickey its a hard reset.  With mickey, we can continue to improve and build for next years team.

Lane Kiffin would get elite coordinators and coaches like Mickey to come here and do their job. He lost his DC because Ole Miss would not shell the money to keep him. He also lost his OC and the offense is just as good. They are running the ball effectively and that would get a lot of people on here excited if Nebraska could run it half as good as they did tonight. Kiffin would bring an elite staff from the get go to give Nebraska success. He runs an exciting offense and brings some drama, but he has overall matured enough to be ready for this job.

It might be difficult to get LK, but a lot of things he complains about at Mississippi would not happen here. Like paying coaches enough to stay, fan attendance, NIL among others. On top of that, he would not have to go through the gauntlet of the SEC West every year. 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2
42 minutes ago, WWG1_we_GBR said:

What would he do with this team? What could he do with this team? I think the answer is not much better than what we see every week. It's awful. Look at the teams we make fun of...Kansas, Illinois, even Minnesota. They are improving and we are going backwards in a freefall. That can't simply be coaching. It's systemic in my opinion. Our entire program is a shambles.

This is a complete rebuild.  You have to give the job to a great recruiter who will bring guys in and give that coach time.  The current guys can't be fixed.  The complete lack of talent is shocking.    

• Plus1 3

10 hours ago, Decked said:

f#&% it why not Ryan Day? Nick Saban. If we are playing this kind of game lol

What game is that?  Heupel isn’t close to being in the same league as Day or Saban.  He is at the same level as Kiffin and a few of the others being thrown around. 

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

What game is that?  Heupel isn’t close to being in the same league as Day or Saban.  He is at the same level as Kiffin and a few of the others being thrown around. 

i would say we have a better shot at kiffin than heupel... tennessee is a way better job than ole miss

the kiffin family has lots of ties here.

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

i would say we have a better shot at kiffin than heupel... tennessee is a way better job than ole miss

the kiffin family has lots of ties here.

I agree.  Kiffin is the guy I want here.  

I threw Heupel out there because everyone else is throwing names at the wall but I am actually impressed with how he has turned out as a HC.  

35 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

Kiffen is by far my first choice. 

I think at the very least Kiffen would be the best recruiter. He perhaps could bring in a top-10 class here and there and maybe consistent top 15. The guy with Illinois is doing good right now. And he had success at Wisconsin. But didn’t he later coach at Arkansas and flopped? I also don’t see him being the elite recruiter as Kiffen. Is it true that Kiffen wanted the N job after Solich was fired? Maybe he wasn’t ready then, but perhaps he is now. 

Edit: Actually Bret had three seasons out of five where he won more than he lost and went to minor bowl games. But his last season he was 4 and 8. So I don’t see him any better than hiring Matt Campbell. I see Illinois being like Minnesota and not sustaining what they are succeeding right now. But who knows. 

You really think Kiffin is complaining in public for anything other than a raise, to get more resources, and to stand up for his players? He's politicking. Ole Miss had NIL before it even legally existed. 

Tear this thing down, people. What are you trying to save?

Roll the dice on Deion or Jamey Chadwell. I loved Matt Campbell in the beginning but this is bad, folks. Really bad. Need someone to grow with this dead program. 

• Haha 1

This is hilarious!  Either there is too much drinking or you live in your arm chair.  This has gotten past opinion & discussion.  I'm tired of the bashing of coaches after a loss.  Why can't everyone understand that a few good players don't make a good team.  Frost left a dumpster fire.  There is no depth.  Someone gets hurt & our backup is not D1 quality or too young.  Here is a big suprise to you bashers - YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER WHO WE HIRE!  THANK GOD!

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3
13 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Assuming we will not land big names thrown around like Bob Stoops, Chris Peterson, Urban Meyer, and Deion Sanders, here is who I would like to see Nebraska target in no particular order:

• Kalen DeBoer-I am still a huge fan of his and he is in his first season at Washington.  He has the second best win-loss record of any active coach who has been head coach for more than 50 games.
  • Chris Klieman-He is moving up my list.  He beats a ranked team 48-0 without his starting QB. Pretty impressive.
  • Mark Stoops-He may finish the year 8-4 but he has made Kentucky a reliable and consistent program in the SEC
  • Lane Kiffin-He has gotten better and better with each coaching move.  The risk with him is that he may not stay long.
  • Kyle Whittingham-Very unlikely to leave at his age but he has been very consistent for many years

https://www.coacheshotseat.com/WinningestActiveCoachesIA.htm

I like all of those but the only ones I think we have a slim shot at are Klieman and Kiffin. That said, I think Trev already has his guy… I just pray it’s not Campbell  

My favorites are Dave Aranda and Jeff Monken. My mind keeps wandering back to Army in the shotgun one play, then going under center the next and running or play-action passing. I think Aranda is a solid coach but I'm really intrigued by Monken's style of offense. I think either of them would be great.

• Plus1 1