Who should our next HC be?

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

A) With the new TV deal next year, money won't be an issue.  We can have a highly paid HC and highly paid assistants.

B) Ruud, really?  I would be extremely disappointed if we keep that many assistants.  All of the Frost UCF guys need to be gone IMO.

Applewhite and Busch I wouldn't count as Frost guys....Beckton has shown well in recruiting and TE production. 

44 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm with you.  I get that Busch, Joseph, and Applewhite are new to the group and are strong recruiters, but I don't get the love for any of the other Frost assistants.  Get rid of them all!!  There is no reason to keep any guys from a program that has been absolute horse crap.  Ruud has been the worst of them all!!!

agree.  Time for a clean start. New HC, new vision and his guys in place to run it. MJ, Busch and Applewhite are the only keepers but the new HC may have better options as well and will have the freedom to build his staff with or without those 3.  

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, Decked said:

Every single new staff member needs to be a dog on the recruiting trail. I know that for sure. No more goddamn Ruud, Austin, & Tuioti types. My god. 

I think it was Kirby Smart a couple of years ago who said something to the effect of "I want an OC, a DC, an OL coach and six guys who are excellent recruiters."  That seems like a pretty good blueprint to me.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

agree.  Time for a clean start. New HC, new vision and his guys in place to run it. MJ, Busch and Applewhite are the only keepers but the new HC may have better options as well and will have the freedom to build his staff with or without those 3.  

I understand that MJ, Busch, and Applewhite seem to be solid guys/coaches and good/great recruiters, but any coach worth a salt (along with a lot of $ available for assistants) will be able to bring in coaches who can do those jobs at the same or higher level.

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Applewhite and Busch I wouldn't count as Frost guys....Beckton has shown well in recruiting and TE production. 

Has he?

Semi-unfair question because his prize recruit to this point has been injured repeatedly. But outside of Fidone.....

Recruiting: snagged a few Neb kids (Hickman, Rollins, Carne) that are likely "N" with any competent coach. Vokolek transfered here but pre-existing ties to the program. He gets a lot of credit for recruiting Georgia kids at other positions, but have many of them turned out? Snagged another project in 2022, one who didn't have an offer from his in-state Big10 school. 

Development/Depth: He turned Allen into a stud, great job there. Vokolek seems to be a quality P5 TE, but not a game changer. But we have absolutely 0 depth behind him to where we are forced to play an 200lb transformed WR (Brewington) and a 210lb below average walk-on (Boerkicher).

I think Allen last year makes people think this room is better than it should be in year 5. 

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Has he?

Semi-unfair question because his prize recruit to this point has been injured repeatedly. But outside of Fidone.....

Recruiting: snagged a few Neb kids (Hickman, Rollins, Carne) that are likely "N" with any competent coach. Vokolek transfered here but pre-existing ties to the program. He gets a lot of credit for recruiting Georgia kids at other positions, but have many of them turned out? Snagged another project in 2022, one who didn't have an offer from his in-state Big10 school. 

Development/Depth: He turned Allen into a stud, great job there. Vokolek seems to be a quality P5 TE, but not a game changer. But we have absolutely 0 depth behind him to where we are forced to play an 200lb transformed WR (Brewington) and a 210lb below average walk-on (Boerkicher).

I think Allen last year makes people think this room is better than it should be in year 5. 

Allen was 1st team all B10 and broke the school record for receiving yards as tight end....he then landed the #1 TE in the nation. Voke is a solid TE imo as his blocking is good. Most people wanted Thompkins but couldn't get healthy. Newsome has been an above average CB here. Landed some local kids who deserved scholarships -- I've seen others leave the state. For a TE coach I think he has been good for us. If he isn't retained I don't think it's a major blow by any means but get realistic here. 

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think it was Kirby Smart a couple of years ago who said something to the effect of "I want an OC, a DC, an OL coach and six guys who are excellent recruiters."  That seems like a pretty good blueprint to me.

You reminded me of MJ at a presser before the season started. He mentions Smart's philosophy. He says talent wins over trying hard. He also says he needs players to be the most talented players on the field. That's right from the Friday night player vs the Saturday afternoon player argument.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Gage County said:

You reminded me of MJ at a presser before the season started. He mentions Smart's philosophy. He says talent wins over trying hard. He also says he needs players to be the most talented players on the field. That's right from the Friday night player vs the Saturday afternoon player argument.

Smart people figure it out. A player figures it out, he owns it. It’s not statements or phrases. It’s knowing. First is acknowledging what one doesn’t know. When the desire and will is there, change and possibilities are highly probable. Talent is the product of curiosity and drive. 

46 minutes ago, TherealTomOsborne said:

I see the best case scenario as hiring Dave Aranda as head coach!  He then keeps Mickey and Busch due to the LSU ties.  Finally Trev opens that checkbook for top assistant coaches.  Dream scenario.

Aranda will be an expensive hire by himself.   But, yes I agree - keep MJ and Busch and bring in strong DC/OC   Aranda knows that D wins in the Big 10 and he'll hopefully will reestablish the run game behind a top notch OL - paying attention to OL development which is the biggest need on O.  Frost placed so much emphasis on skill players but those skilled players are only as good as the OL they play behind.  Maybe with a new coach we'll get back to the Nebraska identity as a power running team and a mean defense.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
9 hours ago, BoSolich said:

the source is sean callahan. lol. i don't believe az st has any interest.

this is mickey's agent feeding him BS.

Sean Callahan is a good source that's why I posted it. Regardless of what you think of him, anything goes in today's college football society. I say this bc if MJ is looking for a head coaching job and Nebraska doesn't offer it to him fully then he could potentially go somewhere else for that opportunity. Just bc he loves this University doesn't mean he wouldn't go else where if he didn't want to.

• Fire 1