Who should our next HC be?

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Again, why does it bother you?  Do you think that if he takes the job, he's not going to care enough and do a bad job because of it? 

Yeah, that's pretty much the only thing...the hunger. But coaches at that level are certainly a different breed. 

I mean, my work is meaningful and I like what I do. If I didn't have to do it, I might still be willing to help out do some work here and there for free. But I wouldn't commit to 14 hour days in a fishbowl over the long haul. Maybe that's why I'm not a football coach.

3 hours ago, Redux said:

I say we put Leipold and Arnada on a team and then Mickey and Campbell on another team for best two out of 3 beer pong.  The winning team faces off in a sack race. Whoever wins the sack race meets Urban Meyer in an undisclosed location for 10 rounds of bare knuckle Battleship to win the opportunity to maybe become head coach of Nebraska (after a committee possibly forms to maybe discuss it)

I see it playing out a little different. Round robin all the way around for the right to turn the job down. Guy who loses the most must accept the gig. If Meyer's the oldest, we might get him by default that way, maybe beer pong didn't exist back in his day, we could also make it electronic battleship, the youngins might get a two ship head start as Meyer figures out how to make the electronics work.  :LOLtartar

• Oh Yeah! 1
4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I will be disappointed though if we find out Kiffin didn't come due to $ issues

Also rumors are swirling that Stoops may be leaving Kentucky and is eyeballing Iowa (his alma mater) should they fire Ferentz

I thought there was no way Stoops was leaving Kentucky.  :dunno

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3

Does anyone remember the Bo Pelini contract at Youngstown State?  IIRC he signed well below going rate (under $300K?), preventing Nebraska from recouping more of its loss, but also helping out the lower-budget program that was nice enough to hire him. Essentially he got paid the larger number either way. I think.

I also remember talk about some kind of threshold: you could come up with a lowball number for your new salary, but if you went really in-your-face lowball some kind of legal oversight kicked in. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Ulty said:

Yeah, that's pretty much the only thing...the hunger. But coaches at that level are certainly a different breed. 

I mean, my work is meaningful and I like what I do. If I didn't have to do it, I might still be willing to help out do some work here and there for free. But I wouldn't commit to 14 hour days in a fishbowl over the long haul. Maybe that's why I'm not a football coach.

He won't be working for free. The school that hires him will pay x amount then Carolina will be paying him 10 mil - x for the first 4 years.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I thought there was no way Stoops was leaving Kentucky.  :dunno

I just knew you wouldn't be able to resist making a snarky comment. He's not leaving to come here. Iowa's his alma mater... but I'm sure you already knew that.

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

There is a 0% chance that Ferentz is fired. 

If he loses to us, he might... and I didn't necessarily mean this season.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Does anyone remember the Bo Pelini contract at Youngstown State?  IIRC he signed well below going rate (under $300K?), preventing Nebraska from recouping more of its loss, but also helping out the lower-budget program that was nice enough to hire him. Essentially he got paid the larger number either way. I think.

I also remember talk about some kind of threshold: you could come up with a lowball number for your new salary, but if you went really in-your-face lowball some kind of legal oversight kicked in. 

I'd have to look for the exact number but I believe you are correct.  They definitely didn't have to pay him much.  I think you are correct that it was under $300k.

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

And I say, "Be who you are and say what you feelbecause those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Sadly none of us matter in this situation. But if you don't wish to have your words used against you, take Hortons advice.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Maybe Ruhle would allow us to do this so we could go spend 2.5 million per coordinator.

If you wanted to "shock the world" this would be a way to do it.  

We're in the sad state where we've been bad enough for long enough that it would seem like a miracle for a coach to bring us back to prominence.  

• Fire 1