Who should our next HC be?

42 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why does that bother you?  If he takes the job, he doesn't lose money.  He just gets paid the same amount he's getting paid to sit at home.  Quite frankly, I know a lot of professional people who enjoy what they do and in this situation, would still take another job even though they could sit and home and do nothing.

Again, why does it bother you?  Do you think that if he takes the job, he's not going to care enough and do a bad job because of it?  I disagree, if that's your thought process.

It would be nice to take a break I suppose. Most competitive people though wouldn’t want to be idle too long. Rhule might be a guy that’s driven by a desire to clean up a mess and getting things turned around. Suppose the recognition he’d be getting were he successful. 

His last experience was likely humiliating. An opportunity to have resources for a very good group of assistants would have its appeal. Initially that would be a boost out of the gate. It’s a win for him and beneficial wherever he’s hired. It makes sense from that standpoint.

23 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I just knew you wouldn't be able to resist making a snarky comment. He's not leaving to come here. Iowa's his alma mater... but I'm sure you already knew that.

If he loses to us, he might... and I didn't necessarily mean this season.

Honestly, 

Ferentz might just retire this season to save himself from having to fire his son. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Honestly, 

Ferentz might just retire this season to save himself from having to fire his son. 

And leave $49 million on the table? Brian will probably take another job this offseason instead of technically being fired, and if they want Kirk gone they'll have to fire him.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

And leave $49 million on the table? Brian will probably take another job this offseason instead of technically being fired, and if they want Kirk gone they'll have to fire him.

I think if it comes down to Ferentz "retiring" he may be able to work out a golden parachute with Iowa's AD.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Of the names I've seen mentioned over the past 2 days, my personal preference would be...

1. Lane Kiffin

2. Chris Petersen

3. Dave Aranda

4. Matt Rhule

5. Gary Patterson

6. Jeff Monken 

I agree wt the list.  Lane would be my #1.  I still like Chadwell for a G5 coach over Monken.  Why do you have Aranda over Rhule?   I like Aranda also but I think Rhule has more gravitas as they say.  

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Of the names I've seen mentioned over the past 2 days, my personal preference would be...

1. Lane Kiffin

2. Chris Petersen

3. Dave Aranda

4. Matt Rhule

5. Gary Patterson

6. Jeff Monken 

Based upon what I read about Petersen last year, I do not see him getting back into coaching. With that said, I would put Lane and Patterson in the top group followed by Aranda and Rhule in the next tier.  And I agree with everyone that Chaldwell would be better than Monken.  

I still would like to see Kalen Deboer and Chris Klieman get more consideration. 

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

1. Lane Kiffin

2. Chris Petersen

3. Dave Aranda

4. Matt Rhule

5. Gary Patterson

6. Jeff Monken 

i can get excited about any of those top 3. Rhule is pretty meh. patterson, monken, and mickey would be horrible choices.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I also remember talk about some kind of threshold: you could come up with a lowball number for your new salary, but if you went really in-your-face lowball some kind of legal oversight kicked in. 

This is language from Mike Riley's contract:

"...within a reasonably brief period following termination, Coach shall use his or her best efforts to seek and secure substantially comparable employment including the customary and reasonable terms and conditions of compensation at the new employment, without structuring or timing compensation to avoid mitigation.”

• Thanks 1