Who should our next HC be?

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

Here's a reality check.  What if Trev has "asked" other guys to be HC and we are left with the alleged list of Monken, Rhule, MJ or Patterson.  Maybe all of the others on the list gave a no or not interested......We will never know, but a lot of names appear to be non factors now.

If that’s the case, we’re skimping on the check. 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Or did we just not offer enough money.  Even though Trev said money isn't an object we don't know if that would have made the job more appealing.

Money not being an object isn't the same as wanting to dole it out right? Just because they can doesn't mean they will, or want to.  This team is a cash cow with a blindly loyal following, the urgency to be big spenders may not be there for the powers that be.

Just now, Mavric said:

Or did we just not offer enough money.  Even though Trev said money isn't an object we don't know if that would have made the job more appealing.

Very true.  I'm sure if we are offering guys like DA, Liepold, Klieman, Urb etc We are going to have to PAY.

Rhule-Has $10 mill from Carolina

Patterson-The assistant to the regional mngr....That's Dwight.  He's the special assistant to the HC at Texas making $150k/year.  Still sitting on $6.1 million buy out from TCU

Monken-Slightly less than $1 mill/year.  Might be slightly higher

MJ-$600k w/additional $33k/month stipen since becoming interim HC

I'd think the above would be cheaper than some of the "homerun" hires.

11 minutes ago, TheSker said:

It's been reported that at least 3 coaches have said they are staying where they are.

Hmmm.  TBH, I don't like that.  But a hard sell to leave a spot where you are doing well or turning it around. Especially if expectations are 8 wins/year.  Maybe as @Mavricand @corncrazementioned we are not offering top dollar.  Maybe "saving" to try and get the best bang for the buck and splurge in a staff....

I'm also wondering if the "best available" in our minds is not the "best fit" for NU.  Might come down to multiple factors to get us back and the "homerun" guys didn't match.  TBH, already trying to convince myself the next HC is awesome.  Even if not on anyones lists....

4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Money not being an object isn't the same as wanting to dole it out right? Just because they can doesn't mean they will, or want to.  This team is a cash cow with a blindly loyal following, the urgency to be big spenders may not be there for the powers that be.

That blindly loyal fan base is starting to get old.

Eric Crouch lives like 45 minutes from the stadium, and has older kids.  According to him, they couldn’t care less about the team.

Thats kinda scary thinking about 15-20 years from now.

I have three in middle school.  My daughter does follow VB, but no FB. My one son has zero interest in anything “Husker”.  And my other son is a Hawkeye fan.

Its probably 50/50 between Iowa and NU fans at my school.  All teams combined, Nebraska might be a third of the kids.  

• TBH 1

6 minutes ago, runningblind said:

And that’s exactly why we’ve slipped into irrelevancy in the last 20 years. Too many key decision makers have the wrong mentality. Bama, Clemson and Ohio state aren’t regretting sparing no expense for their staffs… we can empty the check book for 8-9-figure facilities every 5-10 years, but we aren’t willing to for our coaching staffs - which is probably the most important expense in the program.

7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Eric Crouch lives like 45 minutes from the stadium, and has older kids.  According to him, they couldn’t care less about the team.

I have three in middle school.  My daughter does follow VB, but no FB. My one son has zero interest in anything “Husker”.  And my other son is a Hawkeye fan.

Its probably 50/50 between Iowa and NU fans at my school.  All teams combined, Nebraska might be a third of the kids.  

I agree with ya whole-heartedly for the future. I am just saying at this moment in time this is a hugely loyal, at the very least mostly blind, fan base.  See the Frost supporters long after it was obvious.  I see it changing, and so do you, which is why my statement above was referring to the perceived administration's checkbook guarding and how they best not kill that cash cow.

6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Us fans that remember the blue blood days are getting real sick of our support being taken advantage of by our athletic administrations too. If the commitment isn’t there from our decision makers, why should it be there from us. I for one am not aboard the train that’s ok with settling with finishing in the middle of the big ten every year

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, corncraze said:

Us fans that remember the blue blood days are getting real sick of our support being taken advantage of by our athletic administrations too. If the commitment isn’t there from our decision makers, why should it be there from us. I for one am not aboard the train that’s ok with settling with finishing in the middle of the big ten every year

We’re also dying 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Time to quit making the same old mistakes, hiring these guys and paying too much.  Nebraska's best option is to stick with Mickey.  He is doing the right things.  He can go into living rooms and pull the recruits better than any HC here in 20 years.  He actually cares.  If you dont believe me, go ahead and hire another expensive random white dude and see how many 4 - Five star  Omaha and SEC dudes he gets to Lincoln NE.  Let me know how that goes for ya.   There are 3 guys who could turn this around.   Saban,  Urban, and Mickey. 2 of them are going to pull the dudes because of who they are, and those 2  ain't coming.  The other one gives Nebraska a fresh new face in todays world, a genuine ability to recruit, and coach the right things.  But anybody will come here and take your money.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1