Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yesterday it was reported that there was a special BoR meeting to approve Rhule's contract.

A lot of things are reported.

It’s true a lot of things are reported. It’s also true that it is now November 4 and not October 4. I would expect by this point in time that Alberts has had some serious discussions with current coaches or with representatives of same. I think it’s very possible that a few have taken a hard look at our needed rebuild and decided to stay put  for whatever those reasons might be. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, Knothole Seats @ 50 Cents said:

I would expect by this point in time that Alberts has had some serious discussions with current coaches or with representatives of same. I think it’s very possible that a few have taken a hard look at our needed rebuild and decided to stay put  for whatever those reasons might be. 

Yes!  Someone finally gets it !!!!!  

Queue the "but WE have resources" crowd, and "but WE are Nebraska" crowd........ and "The Good Life" crowd.

Nobody give a s#!t about that anymore, or slogans.  Be prepared to get a new "meh, coach".........WITH EXPERIENCE OF MEH 

And then pay him off to go away in 3 more years.   

This is our program.  Good coaches being successful where they are at are going to turn us down.  Alberts will be handcuffed to give all the money in Nebraska's Fort Nox to bring in someone to save the day......... and he will be a "meh" hire.  

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, corncraze said:

If we don’t get Urban, Kiffin, Whittingham, Petersen or some other big name coach out of left field, I don’t really care at this point.

Pretty much agree with this. I’ll add Prime just because it would be a wild ride and he’d definitely keep Mickey, publicity would go through the roof, and recruiting would improve.  I know many of us are skeptical that Prime could take the step up to the B1G but it is more than  just the Head Coach. What if he had Mickey? I’d rather have Prime and Mickey than Mickey alone. 

Patterson intrigued me if he’d come aboard as DC and AHC. What if it’s Mickey but we pull a scenario like that? 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

19 minutes ago, admo said:

Queue the "but WE have resources" crowd, and "but WE are Nebraska" crowd........ and "The Good Life" crowd.

Nobody give a s#!t about that anymore, or slogans.  Be prepared to get a new "meh, coach".........WITH EXPERIENCE OF MEH 

This is our program.  Good coaches being successful where they are at are going to turn us down.  Alberts will be handcuffed to give all the money in Nebraska's Fort Nox to bring in someone to save the day......... and he will be a "meh" hire.  

Let's say that there are five categories...

Red (Hell Yes)

Green (Yea)

Purple (Cautiously Optimistic)

Blue (Mey)

Yellow (Hell No) 

I'm a bit more optimistic.

It's unlikely that we'll be pulling off a Red. Similarly, there won't be a Yellow.  Blue would be pretty disappointing. Green or Purple are legitimate possibilities. One of those two is likely where we'll land. If Trev can pull off a solid Green, that'd be good news and a significant win given our circumstances. Purple is doable. We really have to avoid Yellow or Blue. 

And, we have to step up to the plate and be prepared to truly support the chosen coach's ability to assemble a solid staff of assistants. 

32 minutes ago, admo said:

I am expecting a "meh" hire tbh.  Doesn't mean I won't like the hire or support said HC, but I agree that NU hasn't been relevant since 2001.  I'll even say 2009/2010, but that's it.  I'm guessing the list of 4 is who it is coming down to.  If that's the list I'd go with:

1A-MJ-Great recruiter, knows the team, would HOPEFULLY be the CEO we need.  No real HC or coordinator experience. Would need a crazy experienced crew.  Former Husker, would he get the boot sooner than later if needed.

1B-Rhule-Did well at Baylor and Temple.  NFL ties.  Doesn't appear to be a foot in ur a$$ type of guy I think we need.  Hate his vest thing he wears.  Recruit classes were 39, 29 and 40.  Finished 4th or 5th in the Big 12 each year with recruiting.  

Monken-Disciplined teams.  Play physical.  Punch well above their weight.  Runs.  A lot.  I love some run game, but unsure if he has the ability to add an effective passing game. Is discipline a by product of USMA.  Recruiting and NIL a whole new world.

Patterson-Blah

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Pretty much agree with this. I’ll add Prime just because it would be a wild ride and he’d definitely keep Mickey, publicity would go through the roof, and recruiting would improve.  I know many of us are skeptical that Prime could take the step up to the B1G but it is more than  just the Head Coach. What if he had Mickey? I’d rather have Prime and Mickey than Mickey alone. 

Patterson intrigued me if he’d come aboard as DC and AHC. What if it’s Mickey but we pull a scenario like that? 

I'd still be thrilled with Deion.  He'd be the straw that stirred the drink.  Recruit ha a$$ off and we'd be the talk of the college football world.  I've talked about him enough.  

Patterson as DC is interesting.  He can coach his a$$ off there.  Just think as a HC with this mess, be hard to deal with the D.  But we he stay after a year or 2?

• Plus1 1

@Loebarth Well if we are really going to fix this we need to wake up as a football program, and check ourselves in the mirror.  What we once was is gone, and the college football world knows it.  However far you want to take your dial back....  5 years?  8 years?  10 or 25 years ??

We have to lean on someone with leadership and unequivocal passion, a coach who is hungry to prove we can win.  

If the ceiling get's reached at 7-8-9 wins, then we can have a new history to show future superstar coaches that we need someone to take us over the top.

And I hate to say it, but we have stanked for so long, it is not an ideal place for people already winning and getting paid phat millions of dollars, with lots of happiness in place.  

Plus there is the extra dose of scrutiny that comes with the Husker job, and everything you say and how you say it, will be heavily weighted on every day of your life.

I want the best for the Huskers, and I always always hope for the best.  

Sorry for the downer stuff.  But we got to WAKE UP.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
34 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I wondered the same scenario with Patterson As a DC. Huge Texas recruiting ties. Very good hypothesis 

All this talk about needing to run away from the 90s... I'd rather we lean into the 90s and actually do the things that made that era successful: develop talent, lock down local recruiting, coach fundamentals & toughness, etc. The head coach just has to demand a higher standard from his players, his staff, and himself than we've seen for sure in the last 2 regimes.

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

All this talk about needing to run away from the 90s... I'd rather we lean into the 90s and actually do the things that made that era successful: develop talent, lock down local recruiting, coach fundamentals & toughness, etc. The head coach just has to demand a higher standard from his players, his staff, and himself than we've seen for sure in the last 2 regimes.

Those 90s teams had lots of blue chip recruits too though - Frazier, Green, Wistrom… Let’s not forget we had classes ranked as high as 5th and 6th (Allen Wallace’s rankings) in the nation in the mid-90s.

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Problem is every program has this as a basic formula.  Everyone caught up and surpassed us.  Definitely agree with the develop talent and poor recruiting needs to be fixed.  Now more than ever whoever has the best players wins. 

16 minutes ago, corncraze said:

Those 90s teams had lots of blue chip recruits too though - Frazier, Green, Wistrom… Let’s not forget we had classes ranked as high as 5th and 6th (Allen Wallace’s rankings) in the nation in the mid-90s.

For sure. But you can also look at the 97 team, specifically on offense. What was it, 9 or 10 of the 11 starters were all from Nebraska.

It does help to have an Ahman Green right in your back door in Omaha but still... Use the local recruits as your core, and build with talented players from around the country