Who should our next HC be?

4 hours ago, corncraze said:

aTm had the #1 ranked recruiting class in the country last year. They are top 15 this year and will probably finish higher. With the talent they are pulling in, I’d be shocked if they finished outside of the top 10 in the next 2 years. 

Their classes from 2019-2021 were #4, #6 and #8, and they lost to Appalachain State and are 3-5. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

2 hours ago, admo said:

Yes!  Someone finally gets it !!!!!  

Queue the "but WE have resources" crowd, and "but WE are Nebraska" crowd........ and "The Good Life" crowd.

Nobody give a s#!t about that anymore, or slogans.  Be prepared to get a new "meh, coach".........WITH EXPERIENCE OF MEH 

And then pay him off to go away in 3 more years.   

This is our program.  Good coaches being successful where they are at are going to turn us down.  Alberts will be handcuffed to give all the money in Nebraska's Fort Nox to bring in someone to save the day......... and he will be a "meh" hire.  

Sativa, not indica homes.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

Many people commenting have still not figured out the new college football landscape. It is not just recruiting and player development any more. The N.I.L. and Transfer Portal mean that different metrics are now at play. It is now MUCH more like the NFL - which means recruiting must morph into basically being more like a General Manager who manages the salary cap (N.I.L. money) AND potential transfers (both outbound and inbound) - in addition to the traditional High School & Jr. College recruiting.

Mostly GONE are the days of getting kids in raw and expecting to have them for 4 or 5 years & kids waiting their turn to develop and maybe see the field as JRs and SRs. For a lot of programs it is now going to be a game of musical chairs, from year to year - identifying the biggest areas of need and attempting to fill them.

A college GM is going to need to figure out how to divvy up resources for the overall good of the team. A star QB transferring-in is only going to last as long as the O-Line assembled in front of him keeps him in one piece. The game of football starts on the O-Line & D-Line and they have been mostly after-thoughts around here for a while. 

I personally believe that THIS is what TA means when he says he wants a CEO coach. But if you look at the NFL model, very few programs succeeded with the HC ALSO serving as the GM. The best programs had great GMs who gave the HC & staff the best roster to work with and it was their job to scheme them up and find mismatches on game day.

With smart use of the N.I.L. plus smart use of the transfer portal a turnaround CAN happen fast - and I believe that includes Nebraska.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

Many people commenting have still not figured out the new college football landscape. It is not just recruiting and player development any more. The N.I.L. and Transfer Portal mean that different metrics are now at play. It is now MUCH more like the NFL - which means recruiting must morph into basically being more like a General Manager who manages the salary cap (N.I.L. money) AND potential transfers (both outbound and inbound) - in addition to the traditional High School & Jr. College recruiting.

Mostly GONE are the days of getting kids in raw and expecting to have them for 4 or 5 years & kids waiting their turn to develop and maybe see the field as JRs and SRs. For a lot of programs it is now going to be a game of musical chairs, from year to year - identifying the biggest areas of need and attempting to fill them.

A college GM is going to need to figure out how to divvy up resources for the overall good of the team. A star QB transferring-in is only going to last as long as the O-Line assembled in front of him keeps him in one piece. The game of football starts on the O-Line & D-Line and they have been mostly after-thoughts around here for a while. 

I personally believe that THIS is what TA means when he says he wants a CEO coach. But if you look at the NFL model, very few programs succeeded with the HC ALSO serving as the GM. The best programs had great GMs who gave the HC & staff the best roster to work with and it was their job to scheme them up and find mismatches on game day.

With smart use of the N.I.L. plus smart use of the transfer portal a turnaround CAN happen fast - and I believe that includes Nebraska.

A school like Nebraska will not be able to build lines through NIL. That will still have to be HS recruits and development.  There simply aren't enough stud lineman available via transfer and they will be highly contested, often going to the highest profile schools. We can get Trey Palmers sure but you can't build a whole team that way.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

This might be the best post in this entire thread. You get it. Lane Kiffen gets it. Succesful coaches today get it. Let's hope Treve gets it too.

• Thanks 1

Can we all agree this is not an overwhelmingly attractive cycle of coaches?

Any coach you hire that is not Mickey would need 4 years to get things on track. Mickey could reasonably be gone in 2 if it doesn't work out. Wait for more coaches to develop or shake loose over the next two years, the conference likely strengthens even more, the new facility is open. And we would not be debating taking guys from Kansas, Kentucky, and Army. 

1 minute ago, gorp512 said:

Can we all agree this is not an overwhelmingly attractive cycle of coaches?

Any coach you hire that is not Mickey would need 4 years to get things on track. Mickey could reasonably be gone in 2 if it doesn't work out. Wait for more coaches to develop or shake loose over the next two years, the conference likely strengthens even more, the new facility is open. And we would not be debating taking guys from Kansas, Kentucky, and Army. 

No, we can not agree. The right coach does not need 4 years.