Who should our next HC be?

My updated Top 5 List:

1 Lane Kiffin- The best realistic hire we could get. He will run the ball and has a great offensive scheme. He has matured a lot and can coach. 

2 Dave Aranda- A realistic option that has made an impact everywhere he has been. Checks all the boxes Trev talks about. The question will be can we outbid BU?

3 Matt Rhule- He has moved up my list lately. I can get behind this hire. NFL success does not equate to CFB success and vice versa. He will bring elite assistants here. 

4 Kalen DeBoer- He has only been in Washington for a year. He has Midwest ties and would come here. His teams play hard and smart. 

5 Lance Leipold- If you can get Kansas to bowl eligibility, you can coach. Most likely wants to stay but we can pay more for him.

Sleeper- Bill O'Brien- Looking less likely, but wonder how he would do after Saban's school of coaches who don't coach good. Two good examples came from it LK and Sark. 

Second Sleeper- Gus Malzahn- Likely staying in the South. I really like his offense and philosophy. He could get us back to relevancy. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HANC said:

Correct. It is really difficult to stay away…once a coach, always a coach…almost an addiction to some extent….trust me, I know first hand. Just explaining the financial question that was asked

Fair enough. I wasn’t following all of the posts. I honestly get it when people say “wouldn’t Rhule be smart to take a year off?” because that’s what average people would do. However, coaches don’t get to this level by being “average”.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

This is correct. 

:facepalm: 

Getting paid $40 million dollars to not coach - is not the same as working every day as a coach.   

But I do understand the bargaining power for Nebraska that would benefit just them, from his guaranteed money.  

And, he could keep his money instead, and just do TV analyst with an ESPN / Fox contract and make more.

No matter what it is not the same.

NO one is leaving Baylor for this mess, no one is going to coach here right now while making $10 mill to do nothing.  Been watching this unfold for the last 5 years?  This roster is not good enough to win the west currently.  WE lack in all areas as a program right now.  If you are a coach with a bright future, why come here right now?  Honestly?  We don't have alot to work with in many areas of this program.  If we don't keep Mickey in some capacity, we lose most of our recruits for next season.  I think we have a mess here right now, and by letting MIckey keep on the recruiting trail, its making things worse on everyone.  This leads me to think that Mickey almost has to be the next coach.  Otherwise, we have a huge mess on our hands.  Thats what I think.

• Haha 1

You guys...

In today's college football, it can take ONE recruiting cycle to make you a bowl contender. Two to be a divisional contender. And this is in an industry full of egos and personalities on top of a potentially massive salary.

This sky is falling, 'woe is Nebraska' mentality is a bit silly.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 2
16 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

My updated Top 5 List:

1 Lane Kiffin- The best realistic hire we could get. He will run the ball and has a great offensive scheme. He has matured a lot and can coach. 

2 Dave Aranda- A realistic option that has made an impact everywhere he has been. Checks all the boxes Trev talks about. The question will be can we outbid BU?

3 Matt Rhule- He has moved up my list lately. I can get behind this hire. NFL success does not equate to CFB success and vice versa. He will bring elite assistants here. 

4 Kalen DeBoer- He has only been in Washington for a year. He has Midwest ties and would come here. His teams play hard and smart. 

5 Lance Leipold- If you can get Kansas to bowl eligibility, you can coach. Most likely wants to stay but we can pay more for him.

Sleeper- Bill O'Brien- Looking less likely, but wonder how he would do after Saban's school of coaches who don't coach good. Two good examples came from it LK and Sark. 

Second Sleeper- Gus Malzahn- Likely staying in the South. I really like his offense and philosophy. He could get us back to relevancy. 

Best list I’ve seen and agree completely 

• Thanks 2
21 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

My updated Top 5 List:

I would make you a solid wager that the hire is no one on this list.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

You guys...

In today's college football, it can take ONE recruiting cycle to make you a bowl contender. Two to be a divisional contender. And this is in an industry full of egos and personalities on top of a potentially massive salary.

After the current 5-8 years of watching Husker football, I do not believe people are now just suggesting the sky is falling or have the 'woe is me Nebraska' mentality.  

In fact, I enjoyed today's game but didn't like the outcome, and thought we may have had a better chance offensively in the 2nd half with Smothers.

But it is okay (I would hope and like to believe) to have solid opinions of Nebraska football that isn't Rosey.  Even if it hurts some people's feelings.  If you disagree, that is fine, too.  

This goes way back, but  think it applies.  When Michigan State got put on probation in the 70's, they fired Denny Stolz, and then had a good couple decent years under his replacement Darryl Rogers. But Rogers couldn't recruit and fill the cupboard because probation imposed recruiting restrictions.  So after Rogers had some success with Stolz's players, the program crashed and burned completely, and Rogers bugged out for Arizona State.

The Spartan fans' number one choice Steeler Assistant HC George Perles, and Perles, a Michigan State alum, campaigned hard for the job.  Inexplicably, they hired Muddy Waters from Saginaw Valley.  Perles was crushed, but his mentor, Duffy Daugherty, told Perles that it was a good thing, because the program was in such bad shape, the the rebuilding would take too long.  He said 'You don't want the job now', because this hire would fail too, no matter who it was, and that Perles was better off waiting for the next opening. 

Which is what happened.  Muddy foundered on the field, but he did bring in some decent players, and left the program in better shape than what he inherited.  Then Perles did get the job.  He did all right and coached for a long time.

I think the Huskers are where Michigan State was when they hired Muddy Waters.  This next coach can almost be considered interim - a 3 year rebuilder, facing a daunting task, who makes it a better situation for the next guy. Know that's now what everyone wants, but don't expect anyone to turn this around overnight. 

• Fire 1
27 minutes ago, Enhance said:

You guys...

I agree, one or two cycles and things could be headed in an entirely new and better direction. Notice I said “could”. However, the sky is falling and woe is Nebraska…..not silly considering where this program has been since firing Solich. It’s a pretty understandable feeling and every time we get it wrong yet again makes it seem that much further out of reach.

• Plus1 2