Who should our next HC be?

Hmm. Looking into some history, Rhule turned down Oregon when he took the Baylor job. Why would he turn down Oregon in favor of a huge dumpster fire? Apparently it was because Baylor has a much better local recruiting base than Oregon. That... wouldn't seem to favor us.

29 minutes ago, Toe said:

Hmm. Looking into some history, Rhule turned down Oregon when he took the Baylor job. Why would he turn down Oregon in favor of a huge dumpster fire? Apparently it was because Baylor has a much better local recruiting base than Oregon. That... wouldn't seem to favor us.

Good point.  We need someone who’s up to putting out our dumpster fire and doesn’t mind dealing with some recruiting challenges.  I’ve resigned to the possibility that instead of an experienced proven guy, it may take a motivated up and comer to want this challenge.  

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Nebraska hasn't been to a bowl game since 2016. Nebraska hasn't won a conference title since 1999. Nebraska has little local recruiting. 

Let's get serious for a second. 

Nebraska does have great NIL ops.. Which is really a gamechanger for programs like us.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2

5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

It really does. We can do things like pay $240k per sack like we have so far with Mathis. :lol:

Isn’t that the truth! 

We talk about the portal a lot how beneficial it is. It can be and it can also produce some pretty significant disappointments. It’s a place where a player’s mindset/attitude is more likely to be an issue. 

Successful recruiting is much more reliable IMO. There’s a variety of reasons a player is in the portal. Chose carefully!

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Nebraska does have great NIL ops.. Which is really a gamechanger for programs like us.

Maybe not as great as a lot of people think.

Nebraska and NIL

Nebraska's next hire needs to have college HC experience in the NIL and transfer portal world. We are so far behind and have been spinning our wheels that we need someone to come in and just tell us how it should be ran and what they did to have success with it prior.

5 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Isn’t that the truth! 

We talk about the portal a lot how beneficial it is. It can be and it can also produce some pretty significant disappointments. It’s a place where a player’s mindset/attitude is more likely to be an issue. 

Successful recruiting is much more reliable IMO. There’s a variety of reasons a player is in the portal. Chose carefully!

I was thinking about this…. Serious question, no argument….. if portal transfers are considered “disappointments”, is that the fault of the player??, or the recruiting services and media for hyping the kid up to be more than he actually is??? Thought about that when the guy next to me was really badmouthing Mathis yesterday. Or, is it poor coaching?  Probably a combination of all of the above.

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Maybe not as great as a lot of people think.

Nebraska and NIL

This is a grabage take. We had one bust in the portal imo, which is Mathis. On offense it was a major success. Thompson, Grant, Washington, and Palmer. All major contributors at key positions this season. Our biggest issue was not filling out the both lines and LBs in the portal, but that's pretty hard to do.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, ZRod said:

This is a grabage take. We had one bust in the portal imo, which is Mathis. On offense it was a major success. Thompson, Grant, Washington, and Palmer. All major contributors at key positions this season. Our biggest issue was not filling out the both lines and LBs in the portal, but that's pretty hard to do.

I completely agree with you!  Was Hunter Anthony a portal guy? 

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, HANC said:

I was thinking about this…. Serious question, no argument….. if portal transfers are considered “disappointments”, is that the fault of the player??, or the recruiting services and media for hyping the kid up to be more than he actually is??? Thought about that when the guy next to me was really badmouthing Mathis yesterday. Or, is it poor coaching?  Probably a combination of all of the above.

It’s a combination of contributing factors I’d say. Along with what you’ve mentioned, we can include coaching among them and how the transitions are handled. 

• Plus1 1