Who should our next HC be?

28 minutes ago, M.A. said:

The program isn’t cursed. Where we’re at now is mainly the byproduct of poor decision making, internal dysfunctions and not handling changes particularly well. You can sprinkle in impatience and having unreasonable expectations (to an extent). There is no reason we can’t get to being highly competitive. I don’t believe in luck or curses. It’s about doing a variety of things to make it happen. Not the why. The how. And we must be willing to do it. In steps.

Haven't won a conference title since 1999, we're approaching three decades of hardware drought in that area.  Haven't even been bowling since 2016, coming up on a decade there too.  Every time we make a move it ends up being the wrong one.  When we do make the right move, other circumstances deter it from working.  Cursed, snakebit, voodoo doll in Solich's closet call it what you will but this program is definitely cursed.

• Plus1 1

I don't think we are cursed either.  This program has the ability to wear a coach down.  I really believe this is what happened to both Bo and Frost.  Bo walked into a better situation in terms of talent, but found it difficult to recruit here.  Even with his historic season at UCF, Frost also found it difficult to recruit here.  Bo started pimping his name out there for any job considered in a recruiting hotbed.  It appears Frost just simply gave up.  

We have a few new things going on that might just very well be the spark we need.  With the transfer portal and now the NIL deal, the right young and energetic coach could put us back on the map.  I believe TA has been looking and inquiring about coaches as far back as last season.  I don't think how a particular coach is doing this year makes much of an impact on TA's decision.  

There is a name that seems to come up whenever there is a NFL job opening that I haven't seen pop up here yet.  I wonder if TA would give a guy like Eric Bieniemy a shot?  I would think Bieniemy and Joseph could really make some noise in recruiting.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, M.A. said:

The program isn’t cursed. Where we’re at now is mainly the byproduct of poor decision making, internal dysfunctions and not handling changes particularly well. You can sprinkle in impatience and having unreasonable expectations (to an extent). There is no reason we can’t get to being highly competitive. I don’t believe in luck or curses. It’s about doing a variety of things to make it happen. Not the why. The how. And we must be willing to do it. In steps.

38 minutes ago, Redux said:

Haven't won a conference title since 1999, we're approaching three decades of hardware drought in that area.  Haven't even been bowling since 2016, coming up on a decade there too.  Every time we make a move it ends up being the wrong one.  When we do make the right move, other circumstances deter it from working.  Cursed, snakebit, voodoo doll in Solich's closet call it what you will but this program is definitely cursed.

You are both right in a way, but I look at it as we never should have been as good as we were. We overachieved significantly by taking advantage of scholarship rules, TV benefits, and being out in front of S&C etc.  I remember reading an article that said almost all national championship winners were in or bordering one of the top 4/5 states for recruits (Ohio, Texas, California, Florida, Georgia). Nebraska was the only multiple time winner that did not, and we won 5.  We struck gold when it was available but those days are gone. We are simply never going to replicate that, it isn't possible with the changed landscape of college football. Folks would be much happier if they accepted that and lowered their expectations, that is called maturity.  We can win the division again and make a 12 team playoff a time or two, but so can Iowa. That is reality in 2022.  Argue that fact all you want, but that's the truth.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, Redux said:

This program is cursed.  We were gifted a couple of strong and legendary runs decades ago.  At this point we should be thankful our landlocked state even enjoyed that bit of success.  We aren't blue blood anymore, never will be again.  The game has evolved and the disadvantages stacked against us will prevent us from rising again.  It's not fun anymore, the last streak we have is looked at as a farce and incoming players look at our last bit of success like a phonograph.  It doesn't matter who we hire, the loyalty and passion for this program is dying and the amount of effort to rebuild it is more than most coaches would want.  We should've been happy with Solich and let him fool around with anyone he wanted to, or at least just said screw it Bo Pelini makes us relevant to the media and is entertaining as hell to watch and wins.  I'm not even interested at this point to see who we get because even if it were Nick friggin Saban all I would be thinking is "wow.....Nick Saban is about to destroy his legacy sinking with this ship".

True!

TRUTH2.JPG

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
9 minutes ago, runningblind said:

You are both right in a way, but I look at it as we never should have been as good as we were. We overachieved significantly by taking advantage of scholarship rules, TV benefits, and being out in front of S&C etc.  I remember reading an article that said almost all national championship winners were in or bordering one of the top 3/4 states for recruits (Ohio, Texas, California, Florida). Nebraska was the only multiple time winner that did not, and we won 5.  We struck gold when it was available but those days are gone. We are simply never going to replicate that, it isn't possible with the changed landscape of college football. Folks would be much happier if they accepted that and lowered their expectations, that is called maturity.  We can win the division again and make a 12 team playoff a time or two, but so can Iowa. That is reality in 2022.  Argue that fact all you want, but that's the truth.

This is a tough business. I just don’t think that we’ve dealt with the “snakes” effectively enough. How might taking an honest look at what’s gotten us to where we are and contributed to it. Maybe we need to assure potential candidates that we’re making some of those adjustments and, are improving in areas to help them be successful here. What role did emotions play in some of our decision making? How can we dial back the pressure a bit? How can we get out of our own way…

There are causes that organizations have to confront and accept responsibility for to avoid their effect. That’s not the whole of it though it’s a critical element. All those things have a relationship with each other. Taking an honest look at what we’ve done or are doing and making those corrections will pay us dividends. 

Trev is the best AD we’ve had in a long while. Hopefully our past errors don’t dictate what our next steps are. 

My gut feeling is that whoever they're hiring is already coaching a p5 team, hence, can't make the announcement in-season. So this rules out Rhule, Peterson, Patterson (not a head coach currently), imo.

And its not HCMJ, considering Trev wouldn't have delayed by 58 days to announce it.

We're about to get curbstomped by Michigan this weekend not sure how Trev would justify appointing HCMJ after that.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

You are both right in a way, but I look at it as we never should have been as good as we were. We overachieved significantly by taking advantage of scholarship rules, TV benefits, and being out in front of S&C etc.  I remember reading an article that said almost all national championship winners were in or bordering one of the top 4/5 states for recruits (Ohio, Texas, California, Florida, Georgia). Nebraska was the only multiple time winner that did not, and we won 5.  We struck gold when it was available but those days are gone. We are simply never going to replicate that, it isn't possible with the changed landscape of college football. Folks would be much happier if they accepted that and lowered their expectations, that is called maturity.  We can win the division again and make a 12 team playoff a time or two, but so can Iowa. That is reality in 2022.  Argue that fact all you want, but that's the truth.

Precisely, unfortunately

36 minutes ago, Osbourneite said:

My gut feeling is that whoever they're hiring is already coaching a p5 team, hence, can't make the announcement in-season. So this rules out Rhule, Peterson, Patterson (not a head coach currently), imo.

And its not HCMJ, considering Trev wouldn't have delayed by 58 days to announce it.

We're about to get curbstomped by Michigan this weekend not sure how Trev would justify appointing HCMJ after that.

He can't and won't.  Mickey lost his shot after the 3rd quarter last Saturday.

58 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

We are in the most ball control division in CFB with good coaching...need to get back to running the ball and playing defense. 

But here's the thing with that: I'm going to say that we did try to "get back to running the ball" this season. We actually brought in a good running back and scheme-wise, we did try.

I just always read these statements as people being upset with the play call mix.

Really what we need is a recruiting staff that prioritizes the offensive line, IMO.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 5
28 minutes ago, Spacer said:

It seems we are entering the 'acceptance' stage of our grief...

The suffering is almost over :w00t

That can only be true if we receive no new fresh wounds.  The season ain't over 'til it's over.

• Plus1 1