Who should our next HC be?

17 minutes ago, Undone said:

But here are some thoughts on Rhule: Does the guy really give a s*** about trying hard at anything at this point, given that the Panthers owe him $40M still? So we're talking about what they still owe him...and that's on top of what he's accrued from his previous two gigs.

I think for the average person who works to make a living, that's the thought process. But let's be real here. Once coaches get to the head coach level at the power 5 or NFL (or even FCS level for that matter), they could work for a couple years and then be set for life. You just don't see many if any doing that. Which points to a different motivation than sustenance. For some coaches, I think their motivation is money (making as much as they possibly can). But I'd bet the intrinsic motivation for a vast majority of coaches is to win at a high level - whatever that looks like to each individual coach - and/or to lead and mould young men.

Edited by ActualCornHusker
spelling
  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

We did that with Pelini and Frost.

Your whole perspective is that we are entitled to success because we're soo important. We're not, and we aren't owed or guaranteed anything. 

We didnt hire the best guy possible with Frost and Pelini. Pelini and Frost were very limited as head coaches. They were good at certain things but not overall. Good at offense or defense but being a head coach not at all. Pelini was never a head coach until he got here and Frost had one year of success and thought bringing the UCF staff with him was going to work. You and I saw the results and they arent here anymore. Pelini isnt even a coach anymore and Frost is hopefully living a good life somewhere.  Its not that I feel Nebraska should be entitled to anything but Nebraska players and fans have put the University in the position to be successful and the University hasn't with decisions that have affected that.

• Fire 3
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

We have run the ball 54% of the time.  Only 21 teams run it over 60% and only 8 of those are Power 5 teams.  Considering how much of the season we've spent playing from behind and how much the line has struggled to run-block, I don't think that's a bad percentage.

Yeah, but 80% of our runs are draws into the lineman's a$$. Percentage means nothing. Calhoun or Monken will actually RUN THE BALL.

3 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

I wanted to update the matrix i put out a couple weeks ago. Left to right is most to least, so there is an order.

Some obvious candidates removed or absent as I don't see them coming whatsoever. I'd say theres a >1% chance any of these guys would say yes if asked.

image.png.811edba16493cbafa5724c271f10148c.png

So of those confirmed contacts, my preference is in this order:

Rhule

O'Brien

Doeren

Leipold

Monken

Patterson as one of the above's DC

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

I wanted to update the matrix i put out a couple weeks ago. Left to right is most to least, so there is an order.

Some obvious candidates removed or absent as I don't see them coming whatsoever. I'd say theres a >1% chance any of these guys would say yes if asked.

But maybe there are ten guys who were contacted who are not on that list?

Just now, TGHusker said:

So of those confirmed contacts, my preference is in this order:

Rhule

O'Brien

Doeren

Leipold

Monken

Patterson as one of the above's DC

Hard to poke holes in that but I think Doeren is coaching his tail off this year. Seems written off by a lot around here.

Ton of expectations, starting QB goes down, and they're still extremely competitive after giving a true freshman a week to figure it out.

Give me Doeren and MJ Morris with three more years of eligibility.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
17 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I think for the average person who works to make a living, that's the thought process. But let's be real here. Once coaches get to the head coach level at the power 5 or NFL (or even FCS level for that matter), they could work for a couple years and then be set for life. You just don't see many if any doing that. Which points to a different motivation than sustenance. For some coaches, I think their motivation is money (making as much as they possibly can). But I'd bet the intrinsic motivation for a vast majority of coaches is to win at a high level - whatever that looks like to each individual coach - and/or to lead and mould young men.

I think the problem might be the guaranteed money in the contracts as opposed to just the actual salary number itself.

To me it seems pretty stupid how the guaranteed money has gotten to be such a huge chunk of the contract.

What I believe this breeds is maybe more at the subconscious level, rather than being a conscious motivator. But it's that when the guy signs the next huge deal he's basically guaranteed at a minimum roughly another $15 million, just by showing up for 2 seasons. That's pretty insane.

48 minutes ago, Undone said:

I've pretty much refrained from talking about possible coaches because history shows that some rando usually follows the firing of a fan-favorite and the leaks never get it right at all.

But here are some thoughts on Rhule: Does the guy really give a s*** about trying hard at anything at this point, given that the Panthers owe him $40M still? So we're talking about what they still owe him...and that's on top of what he's accrued from his previous two gigs.

That's kind of where I think the sweet spot is more of the Matt Campbell kind of guy; it isn't just about the resume, it's also stage of career and projections about motivation level.

And to me, Matt Campbell is the type of coach that would be highly motivated to run through a brick wall to be successful here. Again, is his resume the greatest? No. But that isn't necessarily everything.

If it's Rhule, I think it says a lot that he would mitigate that $40 mil owed to him by coming back to coaching so soon. Perhaps there is a love for the game over all the money. Coaches are a crapshoot we have no idea whether he'll be like Frost or the next Nick Saban. But he has a reputation of being a program builder and player developer. Two things this football program really needs.

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

I’ll maintain that there’s a better chance for Stoops than is thought. I’ll say it’s between Rhule and Stoops. There seems to be less smoke on Aranda. It could be the case were there’s not mutual interest. I agree with your assessment of Doeren. He’s being given consideration and deservingly so. He might yet be in the running. Patterson as DC is an interesting thought. 

1 hour ago, Toe said:

I've been seeing way too much stuff over-hyping Mark Stoops lately. Like yesterday Mike Farrell put out a list of his top ten best coaching fits for us, with Stoops at #2. Stoops has a .400 record in conference play, and has had a grand total of two seasons with a conference play record above .500 after a decade at Kentucky. Stoops would be an OK hire if our goal is to battle it out with Purdue and Minnesota for the middle of our division. (Brohm has a .479 conference record, Fleck has a .490 record. And don't feed me that 'MUH SEC' s#!t, please.)

100% agree.  Unless he beats UGA this year, he will have 2 winning conference records in 10 years.  As well as only finishing the season ranked twice in 10 years.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Dansker said:

If it's Rhule, I think it says a lot that he would mitigate that $40 mil owed to him by coming back to coaching so soon. Perhaps there is a love for the game over all the money. Coaches are a crapshoot we have no idea whether he'll be like Frost or the next Nick Saban. But he has a reputation of being a program builder and player developer. Two things this football program really needs.

Agree.  At this point that is who I'm pulling for.  You can't discount the NFL experience even if it didn't go as planned.  The connections made and the credibility it gives before recruits can't be taken lightly.  I think Rhule would be closer to Saban than Frost based on his experience at Temple and Baylor (and frankly Aranda's experience at Baylor).

• Fire 1
48 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

I would move Deboer to Tier 1 and put Stoops in Tier 2 or 3. I also would also move Patterson up.  He has the longest and most consistent head coaching record at the P5 level.  

Also I would add someone like Whittingham to Tier 1.  It's hard to say if he would really leave Utah but he would definitely be a good choice.

• Thanks 1