Who should our next HC be?

11 hours ago, Enhance said:

I'm going to assume this is mostly tongue in cheek, but Nebraska isn't any more cursed than the Cubs were. Nothing magical happened to break the Cubs World Series drought. They hired a smart leader, that leader put smart people in place, they started spending more cash, they brought in championship caliber talent, and now the curse is an afterthought... because there never was one.

It's hard to win in college/professional sports. There are a lot of smart people and talented athletes. And yeah, sometimes, franchises/administrations make a lot of choices that don't pan out. Sometimes, you just have to do the best with what you've got and hope it works. I think a lot of Nebraska administrators have done what they thought was best and it ended up not being the right path. Doesn't mean the program is cursed. It just means they have to be better.

Well, considering the Cubs gutted themselves alive the last year or so...

8 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

23=30 and 6=10

I tell ya, this new math stuff really confuses me!!  Lol

Yeah go ahead and revisit this post in a few years and tell me how many conference championships this program has accumulated.  I bet it's none.  And at this rate we won't see a bowl game until 2023 if we're really lucky.  But let's pretend I'm wrong.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

17 minutes ago, Redux said:

Yeah go ahead and revisit this post in a few years and tell me how many conference championships this program has accumulated.  I bet it's none.  And at this rate we won't see a bowl game until 2023 if we're really lucky.  But let's pretend I'm wrong.

We won’t be bowling next year, no matter who is hired.  Three years if things go well.  This is a 3 years to a bowl, 5 years to a respectable bowl.  We are at the bottom looking up.  

This team lacks too many players in specific positions.  O lines take years to build.  Probably none of our starters would start at any other Big Ten school at this point.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

We won’t be bowling next year, no matter who is hired.  Three years if things go well.  This is a 3 years to a bowl, 5 years to a respectable bowl.  We are at the bottom looking up.  

This team lacks too many players in specific positions.  O lines take years to build.  Probably none of our starters would start at any other Big Ten school at this point.  

This is the disturbing part.  I read an article that stated while overall recruiting rankings are important, but a more accurate look is where they rank in the conference.  To be competitive, one must rank in the top 4-5.  NU has consistently done this, yet perform well below.  Throw in the adjusted "national" rankings and we drop significantly as well.  NU doesn't have a "talent" issue per se, we have a developmental issue.  We need coaches who can coach ie develop kids.  We have sorely lacked that since Pelini.  

And to the bolded, perhaps Palmer and AG would start at other schools, but I am unsure who else.....Based solely upon their performance at NU.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

True but I think Colorado would be going after him bc he is from that school. I don't know how I feel about him bc he has never been a head coach before and I feel that is part of the problem that has made Nebraska terrible.

Agreed.

The guy keeps getting rejected everywhere he applies despite Andy Reid and Patty Mahomes vouching for him. I wouldn't like this appointment at all, tbh.

• TBH 1
46 minutes ago, lo country said:

This is the disturbing part.  I read an article that stated while overall recruiting rankings are important, but a more accurate look is where they rank in the conference.  To be competitive, one must rank in the top 4-5.  NU has consistently done this, yet perform well below.  Throw in the adjusted "national" rankings and we drop significantly as well.  NU doesn't have a "talent" issue per se, we have a developmental issue.  We need coaches who can coach ie develop kids.  We have sorely lacked that since Pelini.  

And to the bolded, perhaps Palmer and AG would start at other schools, but I am unsure who else.....Based solely upon their performance at NU.

I repeat myself but it is not overall class rankings - it’s balance across the team.   We have skill players that could start at half the Big Ten schools. We have lines that are not and these are the most important to a winning team.  Half the team is competitive- half is not.  Give me 15 starters from around the conference at O line, D line, LB, DE, and maybe a S or CB, and we win the West.  But these spots don’t magically get good in one offseason.  Development is a multi-year process that starts with some level of talent.  
A decent HC knows this.  Heck, most of the current staff are decent coaches - good enough to get to a bowl game more often than not.  

Maybe Frost knew this but he totally failed to recruit balanced talent, instead focusing heavily on RBs, WRs and DBs.  He seemed to believe you win with passing offense and just fill in everywhere else.  Imo.  Might get away with it in the ACC or even PAC 12. Not Big Ten and not SEC.  Imo.  

• Fire 1

My Husker buddies in KC absolutely do NOT want EB to even interview here.  They say that Reid is truly the OC and EB is not good.  This is their opinion.... and they say that there is a reason he isn't getting other jobs.

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I repeat myself but it is not overall class rankings - it’s balance across the team.   We have skill players that could start at half the Big Ten schools. We have lines that are not and these are the most important to a winning team.  Half the team is competitive- half is not.  Give me 15 starters from around the conference at O line, D line, LB, DE, and maybe a S or CB, and we win the West.  But these spots don’t magically get good in one offseason.  Development is a multi-year process that starts with some level of talent.  
A decent HC knows this.  Heck, most of the current staff are decent coaches - good enough to get to a bowl game more often than not.  

Maybe Frost knew this but he totally failed to recruit balanced talent, instead focusing heavily on RBs, WRs and DBs.  He seemed to believe you win with passing offense and just fill in everywhere else.  Imo.  Might get away with it in the ACC or even PAC 12. Not Big Ten and not SEC.  Imo.  

They weren’t good at identifying talent and/or developing it. We’re better at it with some positions than others. Others were more a priority to them and they struggled more in some areas than others.

What is talent? Is it ability? No. It’s a culmination of ability, the inner “game”, external factors (coaching, experience, culture) and, time for development, exposure to opportunities.

We have to be good at identifying talent and developing it obviously. What is the player’s mindset? Is it favorable? Can it be developed? We successfully introduce the external factors. Experiences over time.

A lower rated prospect might need to develop their inner game more. Mindset, attitude. We take into consideration that the athlete hasn’t had experiences as others have. Perhaps has the body though hasn’t developed it. We need to be good at identifying those players as well that don’t get as much attention and are underestimated. 

There’s some evidence that athletes who participate in more than one sport even casually are more talented, have more potential and sometimes have better durability. Examine each individual to see what might be brought to the table and can be contributed.

We need to look at our challenges as opportunities. If the “load” is heavier, we can become stronger in areas if/when we choose. Have an open mind implementing whatever tools are in the “toolbox” that would be to our advantage. 

Lots to consider when identifying a coach determining if he’s a fit for being a builder that he and his staff can successfully identify and develop. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1