Who should our next HC be?

21 minutes ago, HANC said:

Trev is a bridge AD anyway.  According to a number of people, they almost had to beg him to come in and "right the ship".  If is assumed that he will only be here for a handful of years anyway.  Apparently he has already built a retirement house and was ready for the next chapter.  This hire will probably be his only and his last regardless of the success of the team.  This hire will primarily secure and dictate his "legacy" as AD

That's reading an awful lot into things.  Unread it and we've got a young AD who is doing what all ADs do when a hired coach of a major program has failed:  look for another one that has a resume and desire.  That's about it. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Is it a good assumption that Trev will make an announcement as early as this Sunday if the new coach does not currently have a team, and then it will wait until after the regular season if the new head coach does currently have a team?  

It's certainly possible he could make a non-active coach hiring announcement before the regular season ends, but he also might still choose to wait until after the Iowa game in order to minimize the distraction.

On one hand, it isn't necessarily fair to Mickey and the players to formally put the final nail in the coffin of the season by announcing a new coach this early. They still have their pride to fight for without needing the distraction of a new head coaching hire. On the other hand, most people have written this season off and don't expect MJ to be the guy, so the question is being asked - "why wait?"

I don't know if there's a right or wrong answer there. I see pros and cons to both.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

It's certainly possible he could make a non-active coach hiring announcement before the regular season ends, but he also might still choose to wait until after the Iowa game in order to minimize the distraction.

On one hand, it isn't necessarily fair to Mickey and the players to formally put the final nail in the coffin of the season by announcing a new coach this early. They still have their pride to fight for without needing the distraction of a new head coaching hire. On the other hand, most people have written this season off and don't expect MJ to be the guy, so the question is being asked - "why wait?"

I don't know if there's a right or wrong answer there. I see pros and cons to both.

Well assuming we lose to Michigan, it becomes near impossible to make a bowl game even if we beat Wisconsin and Iowa and finish 5-7.  That is partially the logic behind announcing a bit earlier.  

59 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Cut to the chase:

Trev will make a really good hire. Some will like it, some won’t, most will get behind the new coach. In 2-4 years when it’s obvious things haven’t improved enough for everyone’s liking, most everyone will hate him and blame Trev, a few will want to give him more time and then we’ll be right back here again.

Wouldn’t this make it a bad hire?  

8 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Would you be willing to hand the keys to Mickey IF one of these scenarios happened? 

Win @ Michigan (haven't beaten a ranked team since 2016, let alone a top 5 team)

Win vs both Wisconsin and Iowa (haven't beaten either since 2014) 

I would. But if we lose all of those, is MJ out of the running?

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ummm....men's basketball might say....hold my beer.

They can say what they want..... Football always has and always will be the "legacy" sports at Nebraska....it's not Kansas / Kentucky.  We can go through bb coaches and the AD will not be judged nearly at the level of their football hiring. And, if Fred's team tried to hand me their beer, chances are, I would never get it, because they would throw it away.....

• Haha 2

This hire needs to get the program stabilized and getting marginally better over the next two or three years.  The Big Ten is tough and getting tougher.  Adding more above average P5 teams makes the schedule tougher.  That’ll make this hire a good hire if that can be done. Even getting to a 7-8 win level is nearly doubling our win rate of the last 5–8 years.  
Our SOS will be as high as ever in all probability over the next 5 years.  

ABSENT a splash hire (Meyer mostly), it will be amazing to see a ten win season in the next 5.  Imo.  

17 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Wouldn’t this make it a bad hire?  

That was my point. Anytime a specific coach doesn’t work out, no matter how good the hire was at the time, it will be deemed a bad hire. i.e. Scott Frost- excellent hire when we hired him, atrocious hire by the time he was done.

There are more factors at play than simply only the “right” coach. I believe a stint at Nebraska could ruin about anyone (Saban, Meyer…) but it could also work out very well for some no name. It’s a f#&%ing crap shoot.

30 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Would you be willing to hand the keys to Mickey IF one of these scenarios happened? 

Win @ Michigan (haven't beaten a ranked team since 2016, let alone a top 5 team)

Win vs both Wisconsin and Iowa (haven't beaten either since 2014) 

Personally, no. Even in the off chance one or both of those happen, it's a bit too little too late in the process. We're approximately 18 days out from a likely announcement and I imagine (or, hope) Trev is in the final stages of negotiations. I think it is unrealistic to tell a preferred candidate "hey, give us a couple more weeks to see if our interim pans out." By that point, his preferred candidate could decide to take another opportunity that's more solidified.

Plus, imagine telling a candidate to hang on, MJ loses the rest of these games, AND the candidate got impatient and bailed. That would be an absolute dumpster fire.

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I was mainly posting about this being his only hire.

Gotcha......and yes, I agree with you on that sentiment in terms of he may hire a bb coach.  I guess I was referring to it being his only and last football hire.  I didn't clarify.

12 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Yes it is. Rumors Trev met with him. 

Rumors from two months ago. And Trev has said that not everyone he talks to is a candidate, he's just trying to get opinions.

• Plus1 1