Who should our next HC be?

30 minutes ago, Toe said:

I mean, given the sheer dollars involved, picking the right coach is by far an AD's most important job. If he screws that up, he can put the athletic department in a serious hole. If that happens, there's not very many jobs where you'd be kept around.

The ironic part here is we're prolly one of the few progrums out there where fan support is so high the department isnt really negatively impacted by the coaching ineptitude, at least $$$ wise.  Reputation, sure.  i hope we get this right lol

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1

39 minutes ago, Toe said:

I mean, given the sheer dollars involved, picking the right coach is by far an AD's most important job. If he screws that up, he can put the athletic department in a serious hole. If that happens, there's not very many jobs where you'd be kept around.

And hiring a coach is a crap shoot even if you hire who everyone thinks is the right one. 

Still think the idea is idiotic. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

The ironic part here is we're prolly one of the few progrums out there where fan support is so high the department isnt really negatively impacted by the coaching ineptitude, at least $$$ wise.  Reputation, sure.  i hope we get this right lol

Fan support won't last forever.  If this hire is awful yet again, things may nose dive.  It would be nice to inject some life with a name hire but I doubt it'll happen.  I would totally believe they just promote Mickey in the middle of a huge losing streak and the offseason has no juice at all. 

• Fire 2

This feels like the search that eventually resulted in Callahan. Everyone had high hopes during that search only to be disappointed when Callahan was announced. I get the sense it will be someone unpopular like Campbell. I know Iowa State isn’t having a good year, but Mike Riley went 5-7 his last year at Oregon State. The reality is not many people will want this job.

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Red Five said:

From newest Split Zone Duo podcast/Stephen Godfrey (who is as connected as connected one can be to coaching searches):

Good process by Trev.  "Quiet, smart search"

One plugged in source: "They are going to feel good no matter what. They're really happy with the depth of the list they have assembled".  But that source didn't disclose any names.

Names Godfrey has heard with interest from one side or the other (no specific order): Rhule, Monken, Leipold, Doeren, Stoops, Campbell

Co-host believes Doeren would be great at Nebraska because "he knows how to build lines"

Trev has handled MJ respectfully, but it wont be him as HC

NU is ready to roll with NIL.  Coach will be someone who plays NIL game.  Big strike against Campbell.

Source believes its not as bad of situation as one would think

Has a gut feeling it might be done and will be rolled out right after season is over

Regarding Patterson, doesn't think there is any credibility there.  He would be a "step back" because he "does not want anything to do with college football in its current or future state".  Would be shocked if he is actually on Trev's list.

https://www.patreon.com/m/6284331/posts

I’ll still contend that this is between Rhule and Stoops. Dave Doeren would be good. He’s an underrated coach. I’m not sure how well Leipold recruits here. I have reservations with Monken. Patterson doesn’t seem to jive.  Campbell is a no for sure. 

With Aranda, it doesn’t seem to be mutual interest there. It seems O’Brien has NFL aspirations. 

An agreement was probably reached sometime last week or prior and they’re in the process of working out the details and finalizing. Trev has done his legwork to secure a coach and learn ways to help him in earnest be successful.

Interesting how it was said that there was no formal meeting last week but that regents aren’t involved in the hiring of the head coach. Yet, Trev Albert’s efforts have been impressing them and that extending his contract is a possibility. (Again, all speculation of coarse).

I can’t see Mickey assuming the HC role permanently however much I like him and am appreciative what he does. Should he, I’ll be 100% behind him. He’s all class and his heart is in it all the way.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, M.A. said:

I’ll still contend that this is between Rhule and Stoops. Dave Doeren would be good. He’s an underrated coach. I’m not sure how well Leipold recruits here. I have reservations with Monken. Patterson doesn’t seem to jive.  Campbell is a no for sure. 

if it’s between Rhule and Stoops we should be stoked. 

I’ve heard Doeren wants back into the Midwest and Nebraska would be a great fit. Guy’s put a lot of OL/DL into the league and has scraped a good season together with a true freshman QB. A lot of teams would fold if the starter went down. 

I’ve also got reservations with Monken but I can overcome them. Guy’s got a great philosophy and he’s not bringing the triple with him, so it would probably play well in the Midwest 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

And hiring a coach is a crap shoot even if you hire who everyone thinks is the right one. 

Still think the idea is idiotic. 

That’s where the noise is tuned out and emotionally driven decisions are avoided. Go on a mission of discovery. Be thorough. Base the decision on wherever the facts lead going with the best option available. There’s a lot of pieces that have to work right for a coach to be successful. You do whatever you can in your power to help the coach/employee succeed by helping set him up for success. Supporting and collaborating not dictating and, resisting the urge to mettle. 

5 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

if it’s between Rhule and Stoops we should be stoked. 

I’ve heard Doeren wants back into the Midwest and Nebraska would be a great fit. Guy’s put a lot of OL/DL into the league and has scraped a good season together with a true freshman QB. A lot of teams would fold if the starter went down. 

I’ve also got reservations with Monken but I can overcome them. Guy’s got a great philosophy and he’s not bringing the triple with him, so it would probably play well in the Midwest 

With a good coach there’s reason for optimism! I don’t anticipate there being a splash hire. Rhule, Stoops and Doeren would all be good hires. Then we have to back them up whomever it is by providing what resources we can for them to assemble a highly competent group of assistants. And supporting them with a healthy dose of patience.

The person needs to lower expectations some initially and work toward exceeding them.

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

I will input my completely uneducated guess on page 509 and say it's gonna be one of these four:

Matt Cambell

Mickey Joseph

Mike Locksley

Bryan Harsin

If you made me handicap it, I am saying either Mickey Joseph or Matt Campbell.  Campbell may have verbally agreed to it last December.

In that case, give me Mickey Joseph!

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, husker1996 said:

This feels like the search that eventually resulted in Callahan. Everyone had high hopes during that search only to be disappointed when Callahan was announced. I get the sense it will be someone unpopular like Campbell. I know Iowa State isn’t having a good year, but Mike Riley went 5-7 his last year at Oregon State. The reality is not many people will want this job.

Callahan was a let down, but at least he was an NFL Superbowl earning coach. 

1 hour ago, husker1996 said:

Negative Nancy over there. I don't get that feeling at all. Bringing a coach into a program with a losing record doesn't do any good for the program or it's fans that support and spend their money. Like runningblind said fan support won't last forever if the University makes a dumb decision its only going to divide the program and fans apart. If the University loses the fans then good luck to them. My feeling is that TA knows a lot of coaches and people and this job is desirable. Just bc you don't hear anything that doesn't mean its bad. The fans don't need to know they want to know. If a coach is still coaching a team and it leaks then that will affect the team. You can only imagine the backlash if he is recruiting kids to come to that college and lies and leaves. Not good at all for anyone. TA understands what needs to happen in order to try to win its just if his approach is right in order to achieve the goal.

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I will input my completely uneducated guess on page 509 and say it's gonna be one of these four:

Matt Cambell

Mickey Joseph

Mike Locksley

Bryan Harsin

If you made me handicap it, I am saying either Mickey Joseph or Matt Campbell.  Campbell may have verbally agreed to it last December.

Woof