Who should our next HC be?

I don't get what is so fascinating about the Army coach. Yes his offense runs the option but do you really believe that would make us good again?  Everyone here does remember the National Championship game in 2001. I remember nothing really worked and then thinking the option is outdated. Miami figured how to stop it and had the team to do so but in this generation I don't think the option would give any good teams a problem.

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Beck is a much better OC than most gave him credit while he was here.  He was routinely cranking out Top 20 - if not Top 10 - rushing offenses and several guys who ended up as Top 10 all-time Husker rushers.

But people didn't like the overall results and needed a scapegoat so he got a ton of unwarranted criticism.

Hmmm... its like fans latch on to the most visible person and cast the blame only at them. Some of us told the board all year long last year, Martinez was pretty damn good and our line was shortchanging him. Cue the laughing face reactions, and idjits screaming at their keyboard, Martinez is a choke artist, its all his fault. When, in fact, he was the only reason we were in a one score game to begin with. 

The fact that Thompson has looked nearly identical to Martinez, but without the incredible running game Martinez brought to the table, clearly shows that our line sucks, and we'd probably be a better team had Martinez played his last year here. The fanbase didn't deserve Martinez. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 4
46 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I don't get what is so fascinating about the Army coach. Yes his offense runs the option but do you really believe that would make us good again?  Everyone here does remember the National Championship game in 2001. I remember nothing really worked and then thinking the option is outdated. Miami figured how to stop it and had the team to do so but in this generation I don't think the option would give any good teams a problem.

01' Miami is nothing short of second best college team ever. Nebraska got housed by Colorado not long prior at home that year

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I don't get what is so fascinating about the Army coach. Yes his offense runs the option

Honestly, that's primarily what it is. There's a loud, vocal minority of Husker fans who see anything related to "option" and immediately get a spicy feeling in their loins.

The guy is a good coach though. Don't mean to discredit him.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

50 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Beck is a much better OC than most gave him credit while he was here.  He was routinely cranking out Top 20 - if not Top 10 - rushing offenses and several guys who ended up as Top 10 all-time Husker rushers.

But people didn't like the overall results and needed a scapegoat so he got a ton of unwarranted criticism.

I think most people wanted to hate on him because of the offense being "Multiple" and they thought that meant we had no identity. What his offense really was is a Power Spread Offense, but it had the ability to go under center and pound you with a fullback when necessary. Basically the Urban Meyer philosophy.

Beck's play calling decisions were sometimes questionable, but the thing that really held us back from championships was inconsistent line play and a deep threat wide receiver. Oh, what I wouldn't give to have one of those lines the last 5 years though...

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

People LIKE TO RUN with the Army coach.  Even if he DOESN"T PASS the test.  chuckleshuffle

I'll see myself out...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I'd hate to roll with a coach that would merely get us into the National Championship game.  We need to stop limiting ourselves.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
On 11/9/2022 at 6:59 AM, 84HuskerLaw said:

We won’t be bowling next year, no matter who is hired.  Three years if things go well.  This is a 3 years to a bowl, 5 years to a respectable bowl.  We are at the bottom looking up.  

This team lacks too many players in specific positions.  O lines take years to build.  Probably none of our starters would start at any other Big Ten school at this point.  

The right coach can have it done in 2, look at some of the legitimate contenders this year vying for a playoff spot.  That said, here at Nebraska and knowing the situation and hurdles, 3 or 4 is more likely.  And we have run out of patience.  This likely becomes a revolving door school, already kinda has, and we slip even further.  It's unfortunate but it's what we've been dealt.