Who should our next HC be?

29 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Newest OWH Podcast with Sam, Dirk, and Shatel.

Dirk think Trev has his guy (not Mickey) due to it being so quiet.  "If there were still 6 calls being made every day to different coaches, it would get out at some point"

Dirk thinks Leipold

Sam thinks Kleiman would be the best "fit" style-wise, but doesn't think he is interested in leaving KSU (NU would be too much of a fishbowl for him, he just wants to coach).

Sam think Rhule is not taking a job anywhere

Sam thinks Monken has a "very active agent"

Leipold or Rhule would be awesome IMO. Those 2 and Fickell would be the top tier of my coaching hot board (of realistic candidates at least).

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
5 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Leipold or Rhule would be awesome IMO. Those 2 and Fickell would be the top tier of my coaching hot board (of realistic candidates at least).

I have no problem with either of those choices tbh. Fickell is #1 on my list as well so I agree with you there. Leipold or Rhule would be a great hire especially with all the strong rumors of Mickey staying around in some capacity. 

• Plus1 1
On 11/9/2022 at 4:23 PM, HuskerNation1 said:

Any word on whether Fickell might be considered by Trev?  I am seeing a private plane departing for Cincy Friday morning.  I know he has a contract in place through 2028 so he may be off the table.

Would be awesome if he was, but doubtful that flight is of substance. The Bearcats play tomorrow night. 

20 hours ago, bisonwiches said:

Hate to be a d!(k, but no upward trending head coach (Chadwell) would take an OC position, no matter the place or the salary. Neither would Monken, just doesn’t make any sense. 

I’m not sure about that.  I would think what we pay for an OC will suit him fine.  If his offense is successful here, he would be sure hire at the P5 level for a lot more.  

Right now, he’s looked at as a lower level head coach having success with a gimmick offense. A lot of P5 programs aren’t going to be interested in that offense right now. 

Prove it in the Big Ten and he’s golden. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m not sure about that.  I would think what we pay for an OC will suit him fine.  If his offense is Beth successful here, he would be sure hire at the P5 level for a lot more.  

Right now, he’s looked at as a lower level head coach having success with a gimmick offense. A lot of P5 programs aren’t going to be interested in that offense right now. 

Prove it in the Big Ten and he’s golden. 

tumblr_p812tc2nF31r0u1meo1_400.gif

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 4

Can we pull of Michigan St 2.0 in portal transfers no matter who the next coach is?  This will be key in how fast we can get to 6-7 wins next season.  Our current roster is not good enough at this moment to win more than 4-5 games next season.  WE need O-line and D-line impact players for next season.  Unfortunately, most college teams will need these areas filled as well.  So of all the coaches on the list, who can carry the biggest impact as far as getting portal players?  Rhule?  Leipold?  Campbell?  Monken?  Patterson?  I think we can rule out Patterson.  I think we can rule out Monken.  That leaves the other three, in which, Leipold actually has done well with the portal.  Rhule has not had that much experience and I don't know the level to which Campbell has used the portal.

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

I still don't think anything will be announced until the season is over.  But they'll have it ready to announce probably the Saturday after the Iowa game.

Think there's basically two scenarios. If it's someone who's not currently coaching (Rhule, Urban, Petersen), then you announce it as soon as it's official that Mickey won't be getting us to a bowl game, so probably this Sunday or Monday. Otherwise, you wait until the end of the regular season.

6 hours ago, lo country said:

In addition NU was Beck's first stop as an OC IIRC.  He has since been at Ohio St, Texas and NC State.  He has gained a lot of experience.  I wouldn't mind him coming back.

One thing I remember about Beck's time as OC here is that we pretty much lived and died by big plays. If those big plays weren't happening, we couldn't string together a long drive of smaller plays, it would usually sputter out. I've watched a couple NC State games this season, though, and I don't get that impression from their offense.

1 minute ago, Toe said:

Think there's basically two scenarios. If it's someone who's not currently coaching (Rhule, Urban, Petersen), then you announce it as soon as it's official that Mickey won't be getting us to a bowl game, so probably this Sunday or Monday. Otherwise, you wait until the end of the regular season.

It's possible.  But I don't know that really gains you anything.  And is just a distraction that isn't needed.

That coach can start working on assistants before it's publicly announced.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1