Who should our next HC be?

7 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I don't get what is so fascinating about the Army coach. Yes his offense runs the option but do you really believe that would make us good again?  Everyone here does remember the National Championship game in 2001. I remember nothing really worked and then thinking the option is outdated. Miami figured how to stop it and had the team to do so but in this generation I don't think the option would give any good teams a problem.

They run out of the option and shotgun … they do both.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

How can a “named head coach” go out and recruit while there is still a full coaching staff working for Nebraska through the end of the regular season?

You call up a recruit and say "Hi, I'm the incoming head coach of the University of Nebraska." You don't waste time before you start recruiting, that would just be kneecapping the incoming coach.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I didn't say anything about recruiting.

OK? I don't really care if you mentioned it or not, it's too big of an issue to ignore.

• TBH 1

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Like @ColoradoHusk said, I don't think it's even possible for the new staff to recruit until after the season.

Why wouldn't it be possible? Riley already had commits in place while Bo's staff with Cotton as interim HC was preparing the team for the bowl game, and also appeared on TV during that bowl game.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/huskers-gain-first-recruit-of-riley-era-assistant-names-emerging/article_be80690b-4d3a-5ac7-b891-57302c0b3146.html

^ Article from Dec 6, three weeks before the bowl game.

After Tressel resigned from OSU and Luke Fickell was named the Interim HC prior to the beggining of or shortly after the season began.  Urban was allowed to fill his staff and begin recruiting throughout the season then took over after the season was over.  I just dont remember if Fickell was retained

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, husker rob said:

After Tressel resigned from OSU and Luke Fickell was named the Interim HC prior to the beggining of or shortly after the season began.  Urban was allowed to fill his staff and begin recruiting throughout the season then took over after the season was over.

That is not true.  Urban wasn't named HC until after OSU's last regular season game.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

12 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Can we pull of Michigan St 2.0 in portal transfers no matter who the next coach is?  This will be key in how fast we can get to 6-7 wins next season.  Our current roster is not good enough at this moment to win more than 4-5 games next season.  WE need O-line and D-line impact players for next season.  Unfortunately, most college teams will need these areas filled as well.  So of all the coaches on the list, who can carry the biggest impact as far as getting portal players?  Rhule?  Leipold?  Campbell?  Monken?  Patterson?  I think we can rule out Patterson.  I think we can rule out Monken.  That leaves the other three, in which, Leipold actually has done well with the portal.  Rhule has not had that much experience and I don't know the level to which Campbell has used the portal.

Why in the world would you say those 5 names are "all the coaches on the list?" Are you just basing that on this one vague FootballScoop report? They didn't even say those are the final names and didn't even mention Campbell. That same site last year put out similar reports for USC around this time that had Luke Fickell, Hugh Jackson, Dan Quinn, Dave Aranda, and Raheem Morris. And we saw how that worked out.

None of these "reporters" has any more insight or inside info than another. They're just throwing out names based on their thoughts and what they're hearing from people with their thoughts. I give these types of reports zero credence at this stage of the game. Someone may leak it early as we get closer, but it will be someone with some credibility who will stand by it as fact, not just another website with a "here's who our insiders are saying to keep an eye on" type report.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Toe said:

Why wouldn't it be possible? Riley already had commits in place while Bo's staff with Cotton as interim HC was preparing the team for the bowl game, and also appeared on TV during that bowl game.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/huskers-gain-first-recruit-of-riley-era-assistant-names-emerging/article_be80690b-4d3a-5ac7-b891-57302c0b3146.html

^ Article from Dec 6, three weeks before the bowl game.

As others have mentioned, regular season is not the same as bowl season.